Opinion? Is RCI THAT much better than...

Norwegian or Carnival?

I ask because we have a choice of RCI/Mariner of the Seas in an inside room, OR Norwegian Jewel / Carnival (I don't the ship) on a balcony!

Yikes! :confused:

I have heard such good things about RCI, and such not-so-good things about Norwegian and Carnival, but is RCI that much better to justify giving up a balcony?

Just hoping for some ideas on what others with more experience than I have would do.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to give me their views. All opinions appreciated.

Given the choice you have, i would certainly go with Norwegian or Carnival (Norwegian hehe). As much as i like RCCL, in that predicament, definitely go with the balcony. IMHO you'll find Norwegian a closer product to RCCL than Carnival. Hope this info helps.

You need to consider the itinerary as well.Being in Galveston,I can pick from RCI,NCL or CCL...The biggest factor for me here is the choice of ships...Rhapsody vs Elation/Ecstacy or NCL's Sea/Dream...No choice hands down which is the better ship.Carnival and NCl offer some great prices here.But none of the ships other than the Rhapsody and Splendour when she is here even have balconies,except for the few suites.

But even though I could get a great price on any of those ships...I don't like the itinerary that any of the others have...Elation does Progresso/Merida/Coz...

Ecstasy does COZ/Calica NCL does something like Belize/Honduras/and one other port that escapes me...Where Rhapsody does Key West or Jamacia and Grand Cayman and Coz...

I would probably choose an OV on the Rhapsody v anything on any of these ships..

Just some things to consider..when comparing your ships..

Also.Mariner is going to have more to do than most ships...I hav no idea about the Jewel or this other ship you are considering...But just do your research...and go from there...

Oh...and why can't you take a balcony on Mariner???

We booked an inside (at a great price) and kept an eye on prices...And got a GREAT deal on an E1 baclony...(less than I paid for one on Rhapsody :) )

Having been on all three lines I have to say each one pretty much offeres the same cruise experience (food, service, entertainment), but I prefer RCI for their ships themselves. RCI has the most beautiful ships at sea, IMHO.

If you want a balcony and have to chose between CCL or NCL, I would go with CCL. I'm not a fan of CCL but I absolutely hate NCL

This sounds like a pretty good recommendation. I have not been aboard NCL since '01, but then we had one of the best cruises of our life. I'm now afraid to go back aboard NCL, because of everything that I have read or heard of recent cruisers. Since you are looking and asking on these boards, try asking the NCL board. You don't say if you are new to cruising or just new to these Lines, but no matter how much I would dislike one company over another, to have a balcony vs. an inside cabin for the same money.............the balcony gets my vote!!!!:)

Rick

You need to consider the itinerary as well.Being in Galveston,I can pick from RCI,NCL or CCL...The biggest factor for me here is the choice of ships...Rhapsody vs Elation/Ecstacy or NCL's Sea/Dream...No choice hands down which is the better ship.Carnival and NCl offer some great prices here.But none of the ships other than the Rhapsody and Splendour when she is here even have balconies,except for the few suites.

But even though I could get a great price on any of those ships...I don't like the itinerary that any of the others have...Elation does Progresso/Merida/Coz...

Ecstasy does COZ/Calica NCL does something like Belize/Honduras/and one other port that escapes me...Where Rhapsody does Key West or Jamacia and Grand Cayman and Coz...

I would probably choose an OV on the Rhapsody v anything on any of these ships..

Just some things to consider..when comparing your ships..

Also.Mariner is going to have more to do than most ships...I hav no idea about the Jewel or this other ship you are considering...But just do your research...and go from there...

Oh...and why can't you take a balcony on Mariner???

We booked an inside (at a great price) and kept an eye on prices...And got a GREAT deal on an E1 baclony...(less than I paid for one on Rhapsody :) )

You are talking about ships cruising out of the Houston area. BTW, the Sea is no longer; the Dream will be taking over in a few months and the Itinerary is a little different than what you have posted. Roatan is one port, but the Dream, as did the Sea visits 4 ports, Belize, Cozumel and Playa De Car. I don't know what Carnival ship the OP was referring to; the Jewel is on her maiden voyage right now in Europe. She will be cruising out of Miami later in the fall. So far the reports are outstanding, but we will do our judging when we get off of her next month.

As an agent, my first recommendation is Royal Caribbean. This recommendation is based on cruise product, service and the overall satisfaction of my clients. The answer to your question is not so easy. I think you really need to analyze how you will spend your time, while on-board. If you plan on spending considerable time in your cabin, whether it be privately or hosting friends & family, then the balcony may be a better use of your budgeted vacation funds. However, if plan on the room being just a place to sleep and shower, then take the better cruise product and stick with Royal Caribbean. A good option, overall, may be the promenade rooms on the Mariner. This is an excellent "middle ground" between the balcony cabin and an inside cabin. You avoid the windowless inside cabin, but pay much less than the cost of the balcony room. If you have any more specific questions about the options, just shoot me an e-mail and I will be happy to answer your questions. My wife and I have over 30 cruises under our belts, so we certainly will be happy to give you some perspective, based on our experiences.
I am sure you don't mean to come across as soliciting business and I am sure you are not, but when you, as an agent suggests someone email you directly others may think differently. As agents I think we have to be very careful about this. I know sometimes I want to address issues as well, but do not suggest anyone contact me directly. If they do and I have had many I do my best to answer them, I just don't suggest they email me. NMnita

I'm heading out on Rhapsody Sunday. I went on the Elation in May 2004. Let me just put it this way, Rhapsody has a lot to live up to as it will be my first RCI cruise. We had a blast on the Elation.

I wouldn't worry. She will have no problem living up to the Elation. In my opinion the Vision class ships (which Rhapsody is) is much better than the Fantasy class ships (which Elation is).

First of all an agent may not solicite business on the boards. An agent may say they are an agent and that is about that.

I have not sailed NCL as I am not a fan of the dining situation, however I have sailed RCI and Carnival. Ship size and age, compared to ship size and age the experience is very similar. Carnival gets a small nod in the food department but RCI has very nice cabins and activities with excellent entertainment. You would probably be happy on either of these lines.

It really depends on the person. I have read so many nasty reviews over the years about ships, then other people come to "their" ships defense and state they have the opposite experience.

So, it really is a personal taste question. The basic cruise experience on the mentioned lines is pretty much the same. They all have games, entertainment, food (subjective) art auctions, buffets, etc...

For the lines you mention, I would consider the age (wear and tear) of the ship. Take a look at photos of the ships, you can find them on most travel agent web sites. Go to each board on CC and read what people have to say about the ship.

I've been on each of these lines and all have their strong points. RCI has better looking ships and (from my own experience) a more subdued pax mix. Carnival has good entertainment and younger pax. NCL (we were on a brand new ship that cruise) has Freestyle, which we loved and they have very pretty ships.

Of the above, I would definitely go again on RCI and NCL, we have decided that Carnival is just not for us. Of course, we have a different agenda than most who go on Carnival, what is a great time for us would probably be boring to the Carnival pax. So, I will not say that Carnival is a bad choice, just not what we are looking for in a cruise.

Interestingly, every time I have priced out the above 3 cruise lines, Carnival comes out to be far more expensive than the other 2.

I have sailed on Carnival, RCI and Princess (not NCL, sorry). They all have different strengths. In a lot of ways Carnival was the best but we won't get into that here.

I would sail on any of these based on the better deal I was getting. Your cruise is what you make of it.

NB.

. . . my first recommendation is Royal Caribbean. This recommendation is based on cruise product, service and the overall satisfaction of my clients. The answer to your question is not so easy. I think you really need to analyze how you will spend your time, while on-board. If you plan on spending considerable time in your cabin, whether it be privately or hosting friends & family, then the balcony may be a better use of your budgeted vacation funds. However, if plan on the room being just a place to sleep and shower, then take the better cruise product and stick with Royal Caribbean. A good option, overall, may be the promenade rooms on the Mariner. . .

I couldn't have said it better myself. We've sailed on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL. We have found the overall experience on Royal caribbean to be far superior, especially the service. We enjoyed Carnival also, but it is not up to RCCL standards in terms of service (YMMV). We sailed on NCL only once, and were so incredibly bored that we said never again. We also found the service and food on NCL to be lacking.

Given the cost, I would definitely go with the Carnival balcony cabin. There is nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. But, it also depends on the ship and itinerary.

We have been on two Carnival cruises and one Royal Caribben cruise.

I believe that the amount of time spent in the cabin is equal to the type of cabin. Our first was an ocean view cabin; our second and third were in balcony cabins. We love the sounds and smells of the sea. We'll have coffee on the balcony early in the morning and even spend quiet times there during the day. If we had an inside cabin, I don't think I'd want to spend any time there. We definitely did not spend much time in our ocean view cabin.

As for cruise lines, we happen to love Carnival.

We did not have a party atmosphere on either trip. We are in our mid 40's and never felt like we were surrounded by party animals.

The decorations were lovely, but I can't understand why someone would choose a cruiseline based on that. How often do you stare at the walls and paintings, after all. You get used to your surroundings. In fact, Carnival Victory boasts a sea green interior. The walls and rugs are different shades and sparkle-factors. We felt like we were under the sea. Some people may hate it; others love it. We were fascinated by it. I think it's also a matter of taste...we love contemporary; others are into country or antiques. But I would not choose a ship based on decor.

Food and entertainment were comparable.

Go to the Carnival thread and look for comments on the particular ship you are considering. Have an open mind. Maybe you'll learn something.

Been on RCI and Norwegian.

The comments above about Norwegian are about the NCL Aloha- the NCL America line that did not get off to a good start and the Norwegian Crown from 7 years ago. I found RCI and NCL comparable. If you must have traditional dining with set seating, Norwegian is not for you. If it is one of the newer NCL ships it will be comparable to Royal Carribean. Personally price and iternary is important to me and while I prefer freestyle, I would do the one that best serves where I want to go at a reasonable price. If that means Carnival I would do that too.

You are talking about ships cruising out of the Houston area. BTW, the Sea is no longer; the Dream will be taking over in a few months and the Itinerary is a little different than what you have posted. Roatan is one port, but the Dream, as did the Sea visits 4 ports, Belize, Cozumel and Playa De Car. I don't know what Carnival ship the OP was referring to; the Jewel is on her maiden voyage right now in Europe. She will be cruising out of Miami later in the fall. So far the reports are outstanding, but we will do our judging when we get off of her next month.

I realize what ships I am talking about..I was giving relative info on what I use to make a determination,and things that I consider when making the decision.:cool:

The question of the post is,Is RCI better than.....and I was giving the reasons why I think they are better here..Same method applies to any port...Pick which itinerary and ship interests you the most.

I also know that the Sea is no longer,hence the slash to Dream.:rolleyes:

As much as I love having a balcony, that would not sway me into making a decision. For my money, an inside on RCI is a better experience than a balcony on CCL. NCL provides a good experience IF you will enjoy the Freestyle dining. It was not a good fit for me.

I enjoy an elegant atmosphere, good food and professional service, and having access to adult only areas. Of these three, only RCI meets my requirements. I am not one that subscribes to the theory that these lines are more alike than different. I find the differences to be significant in areas that are IMPORTANT TO ME. I do not, however, presume that everyone else feels the same way.

I realize what ships I am talking about..I was giving relative info on what I use to make a determination,and things that I consider when making the decision.:cool:

The question of the post is,Is RCI better than.....and I was giving the reasons why I think they are better here..Same method applies to any port...Pick which itinerary and ship interests you the most.

I also know that the Sea is no longer,hence the slash to Dream.:rolleyes:

I am not trying to start anything here just pointing out when comparing ships we need to compare apples to appes or class to class: If I had to choose between the Ecstacy and the newer RCI ships I would take RCI anyday, but if comaring a brand new ship like the Jewel with an older ship I would probably lean toward the Jewel. I wouldn't cruise the Majesty again no matter what because the cabins are way too small but I would cruise any Celebrity ship over some Carnival. That was my point. Again I am sorry if you took offense, it was the middle of the night, I couldn't sleep and maybe I didn't word everything as nicely as I meant. As I have said, I beleive every mass marketed line is similar today, depending on the ship's class and age. NMNita

Everyone, thanks for the insights.

Yes, the deals we have been offered (through a vacation club) those options are all the same price! My first thought was RCI, but then the balcony option seemed to be haunting my sleep! LOL.

The itineraries are basically comparable in that they all are going where we want to go!

From what people have said about the freestyle dining and other things, I think I have eliminated Norwegian at the moment. Thanks for all the info.

My fears about Carnival are the party/drunk type of reputation because we are travelling with two children, but some people's comments here are making me think maybe we are not giving Carnival enough credit.

We have cruised twice before, once on Princess and once on Disney, so no experience with RCI, Carnival, or Norwegian. I have never had a balcony before. I had a window room on Princess and an interior room on Disney - I HATED the inside room, so I imagine sitting in the darkness of my Mariner room and cursing myself. :mad: Then again, I imagine myself sitting amidst a group of rowdy drunks on Carnival and cursing myself. :eek:

:D

Never had a balcony before so I don't really know what it is like first hand.

It is great to see how others think, and others experiences, and believe me I am mulling over everything here!

You guys rock.

RCCL, Carnival and NCl are all targeted directly at the same market: Middle Class America. Each however goes at it from a slightly different angle and depending on the person that can mean little or alot of difference.

RCCL likely hits the market dead center. Imagine people wearing dockers hanging out at an upscale suburban mall you you have RCCL. Lot's of beige, nothing too adventurouse nor challenging. Food is definitely on the dull side. Very nice ships though. I've run into more people on RCCL that except things to be done in a certain way, there's a precieved notion, deserved or otherwise, that RCCL is classer. I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but it's not so dramatic as people whould sometime have you think. Personally I find RCCL ship lacking in spirit, no joie de vive to speak of. On Explorer I really felt like I had booked a week on a floating mall, people were nice but not friendly.

Carnival, think people wearing jeans at a "Mills" outlet mall. Dramatic decor is meant to stimulate, the entertainment a little more exciting, the bars a little more fulll, everything seems to be a bit on the loud side, people are generally down to earth and can be anything from blue collar to doctors, except no one seems to really care. Food is better in the dining room. Definitely, on average, more friendly and outgoing, extroverted people onboard.

NCL is a bit tougher. They attract people mostly for their departure ports, itineraries and low prices. While the freestyle dining attracts people who may not otherwise cruise, it's still the same middle-class crowd onboard. The fleet is a little all over the board: small older ships ill fitted for freestyle and new ships that show more than a little influence of the asian parent company. Since a cruise experience can change dramatically based on your fellow passengers, outside of Florida expect the departure port to play a role: The Dawn out of NYC is going to be vastly different than the Majesty out of Charleston. Also, the hawaii based ships Pride of Aloha and America are such different vacation experiences you can't really compare them to a regular cruise: These ships (still very nice) are floating hotels that truly take a back seat to the places they visit.

Archived