Opinion? Is RCI THAT much better than...

I think that you made the wise choice here. Carnival is a nice cruise line but after cruising with them so many times I became bored on their ships. I also got tired of the constant nickel and dime annoucements for bingo, art auctions and inch of gold.

NCL has to do a lot before I go back on their ships. It has been 11 years since my cruise on the Norway and that was enough to make me say no to them for a long time.

IMHO, RCI has the most friendly crew of any with NCL coming in dead last of all the cruises that I have taken.

Just a couple of things here, 11 years is way to long to hold a grudge: life is too short. I also find this very interesting, as 11 years ago the Norway was still rated one of the best ships at sea by most critics and most cruise magazines and books. I don't know what happened but it certainly must have been something totally unbelievable. You say, NCL comes in dead last, but admit you have only cruised them once. Is that totally fair? We have cruised RCI twice, both times with less than great experiences. this does not mean we will not cruise them again. Some of our problems related to weather which they could not control, some screaming babies, which certainly does not mean all babies on ships are brats and some of the problems due to poor food quality and in one case horrible dining room service. I will say it is always amazing to read these boards and get such a cross section of opinions. This is why we have so many lines. What appeals to one person leaves another cold. NMNIta

The comment to which I was refering was definitely NOT a joke. Perhaps in the cruise director's unprofessional mind, he intended it to be funny, but I certainly got the impression that he used it to perpetuate the myth.

In warning guests (appropriately) to stay away from drug dealers in Ocho Rios, Jeffrey Arpin (otherwise a wonderful cruise director) actually said, "Don't worry, they'll have plenty of business because a Carnival ship will be in port."

Under no circumstances ever do I consider drug use comical. His comment was unfair and inappropriate. It was not the least bit funny.

A couple other times he made digs against Carnival, again unprofessional, but at least the others were not implying that Carnival cruisers are drug users.

Then maybe you should stay away from RCI and stick with Carnival or another cruise line since this is not something that you like. I would take those comments you mentioned with a grain of salt if I had heard them.

Norwegian or Carnival?

I ask because we have a choice of RCI/Mariner of the Seas in an inside room, OR Norwegian Jewel / Carnival (I don't the ship) on a balcony!

Yikes! :confused:

I have heard such good things about RCI, and such not-so-good things about Norwegian and Carnival, but is RCI that much better to justify giving up a balcony?

Just hoping for some ideas on what others with more experience than I have would do.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to give me their views. All opinions appreciated.

I like RCL but we have just been on the inaugral cruise of the NCL Jewel and wow what a ship. We were very wary about the freestyle dining but it was absolutely fab. The main dining room service and food was first class and the cabin was gleaming.

Having been on the Jewel of the Seas and the NCL Jewel I would say NCL Jewel wins hands down although before we sailed on her we would have said Jewel of the Seas.

Hard choice but since you are getting a balcony on NCL I would go with that.

Just a couple of things here, 11 years is way to long to hold a grudge: life is too short. I also find this very interesting, as 11 years ago the Norway was still rated one of the best ships at sea by most critics and most cruise magazines and books. I don't know what happened but it certainly must have been something totally unbelievable. You say, NCL comes in dead last, but admit you have only cruised them once. Is that totally fair? We have cruised RCI twice, both times with less than great experiences. this does not mean we will not cruise them again. Some of our problems related to weather which they could not control, some screaming babies, which certainly does not mean all babies on ships are brats and some of the problems due to poor food quality and in one case horrible dining room service. I will say it is always amazing to read these boards and get such a cross section of opinions. This is why we have so many lines. What appeals to one person leaves another cold. NMNIta

First of all anyone that reads the NCL board knows that you jump down anyone's throat that says anything negative about NCL. Just look at your posting history along with a few of your cronies over there.

Second I did not say that I was holding a grudge against NCL, they just have nothing out there at this time that interests me at all. I think that the hull art looks like something drawn on by a kid and does not belong on a cruise ship. My opinion of course.

My cruise on the Norway was bad due to service and the food. The worst of any cruise that I have taken. Also in 94 when I was on the Norway was one of the times that NCL was on the brink of bankruptcy and you could tell it by the cost cutting measures aboard. I have also cruised twice with NCL.

You can have NCL and everything that goes with it and I hope that you have a good time but I will not be stepping on board any of their ships soon.

The comment to which I was refering was definitely NOT a joke. Perhaps in the cruise director's unprofessional mind, he intended it to be funny, but I certainly got the impression that he used it to perpetuate the myth.

In warning guests (appropriately) to stay away from drug dealers in Ocho Rios, Jeffrey Arpin (otherwise a wonderful cruise director) actually said, "Don't worry, they'll have plenty of business because a Carnival ship will be in port."

Under no circumstances ever do I consider drug use comical. His comment was unfair and inappropriate. It was not the least bit funny.

A couple other times he made digs against Carnival, again unprofessional, but at least the others were not implying that Carnival cruisers are drug users.

I guess what you find offensive I find hilarious. It was a joke, and a funny one at that.

What happened to a passenger using good common sense that in the evenings you wear shoes and leave the halter tops and cut off jeans in your cabin? At breakfast it is not ok to show up in the lido dining room wearing your bathrobe. At lunch no one wants to see your bare feet and hairy chest while you lean over the hot tables getting your food. This was a common theme on my last couple of cruises with Carnival and it was enough to make me say no more.

I like that RCI has someone stationed at the entrance to the Windjammer making sure that passengers are dressed before entering to eat. That's the way that it should be. We are not at Billy Bob's drive in.

I forgot about the bathrobes and PJs at breakfast! Yes, it was in the lido buffet but, still, pajamas and terry cloth robes to sit down and have breakfast?

I was on Adventure two years and was stopped going into Windjammer as the top of my bathing suit was not fully covered by my wrap. I was embarassed that I did not pay attention and stepped out and adjusted my wrap before going back in. I was pleased that, even in a casual venue, decorum was required.

This was so NOT the case on Glory. Is it the passengers fault? Certianly, at least IMHO, people should have more class than to parade around in pjs at breakfast and in wet bathing suits and barefeet in the lobby. But, frankly, if they do not know what is appropriate, I do feel it is the cruise lines responsibility to tell them.

Re NCL, I have been on 4 NCL cruises in the past 4 years. I liked the Sun, disliked the Dream. But, no, I would not choose NCL over RCI as I prefer traditional dining and I ended up most nights paying for my dinner as the food in the main dining room was not too special. I like to get to know my tablemates and wait staff.

JMHO.

For me personally our 2 Carnival cruises were a better experience than our RCL cruise on the Granduer. Hoping that our RCL criuse on the VOS next month will be a better experience. Don't get me wrong tho' our Granduer cruise was fun just had a better time on our 2 Carnival cruises.

First of all anyone that reads the NCL board knows that you jump down anyone's throat that says anything negative about NCL. Just look at your posting history along with a few of your cronies over there.

Second I did not say that I was holding a grudge against NCL, they just have nothing out there at this time that interests me at all. I think that the hull art looks like something drawn on by a kid and does not belong on a cruise ship. My opinion of course.

My cruise on the Norway was bad due to service and the food. The worst of any cruise that I have taken. Also in 94 when I was on the Norway was one of the times that NCL was on the brink of bankruptcy and you could tell it by the cost cutting measures aboard. I have also cruised twice with NCL.

You can have NCL and everything that goes with it and I hope that you have a good time but I will not be stepping on board any of their ships soon.

You can calm down a little: I simply asked what made your cruise so bad that 11 years later you are still fumming. If you really read what I said you would see I made the comment, there is a reason for so many lines; each has something that appeals to someone and none appeal to everyone which is ok. I am just surprised that anyone would, 11 years later be that upset. BTW, I don't think NCL was anywhere near bankrumpsy 11 years ago: they started having serious problems closer to the end of the 90s and were purchased in 2000, or maybe late 1999, but this doesn't have anything to do with whether someone would or would not sail her now. I am not crazy over the hull art either yet it is getting raving reviews, so I guess, like so many other things it's a matter of opinion. If you have cruised with them since your bad experience and still feel that way I don't blame you. It isn't only my loyalty to NCL that gets my goat, it's people who bash on and on. As I said, we haven't been impressed with our sailing on RCI , but I neither bash them nor do I say I wouldn't sail them. I also book the line when my clients request them. Sometimes it helps to take a second look. There is one line that I always thought I would not sail because of some really horrible customer service experiences I had when a TA back in the 90s. Now, I am back in the business, have been dealing with the particular line and if the price was right I would sail them in a second. I have kept an open mind and am glad I have. How many of us have gone to our favorite restaurant or one that has been recommended and had a lousy experience? If we let that one time keep us away forever we might miss a really positive experience. On the other hand there are so many choices out there, no one has to repeat if they feel strongly about something. Again, it isn't people who feel they don't want to repeat that bothers me, it's the I HATE IT and everyone else should too. This goes for anything in life. NMNita

You can calm down a little: I simply asked what made your cruise so bad that 11 years later you are still fumming. If you really read what I said you would see I made the comment, there is a reason for so many lines; each has something that appeals to someone and none appeal to everyone which is ok. I am just surprised that anyone would, 11 years later be that upset. BTW, I don't think NCL was anywhere near bankrumpsy 11 years ago: they started having serious problems closer to the end of the 90s and were purchased in 2000, or maybe late 1999, but this doesn't have anything to do with whether someone would or would not sail her now. I am not crazy over the hull art either yet it is getting raving reviews, so I guess, like so many other things it's a matter of opinion. If you have cruised with them since your bad experience and still feel that way I don't blame you. It isn't only my loyalty to NCL that gets my goat, it's people who do bash on and on. As I said, we haven't been impressed with our sailing on RCI , but I neither bash them nor do I say I wouldn't sail them. I also book the line when my clients request them. Sometimes it helps to take a second look. There is one line that I always thought I would not sail because of some really horrible customer service experiences I had when a TA back in the 90s. Now, I am back in the business, have been dealing with the particular line and if the price was right I would sail them in a second. I have kept an open mind and am glad I have. How many of us have gone to our favorite restaurant or one that has been recommended and had a lousy experience. If we let that one time keep us away forever we might miss a really positive experience. On the other hand there are so many choices out there, no one has to repeat if they feel strongly about something. Again, it isn't people who feel they don't want to repeat that bothers me, it's the I HATE IT and everyone else should too. This goes for anything in life. NMNita

Not fuming at all and I am very calm. Believe me it takes more than a message board to get me going. I just call it like I see it.

We just make a concious effort to enjoy our vacations, even if problems arise. Life is too short to dwell on the negative when you have limited vacation time.

You are so right: unless something tragic happens vacations are always or should be fun. We recently went, with 2 others couples to Laughlin NV for four days. None of us won a darn dime, the temps were around 125 to 127 degrees daily, the hotel had lost part of it's air conditioning and one couple didn't get the handicapped room or the view they asked for. We could have turned the entire experience into a pouting period or we could turn it into a laughing vacation. We choose the latter, my husband, who periodically writes columns for our local paper took advantage of the 4 days to write a very funny column. Everyone in our town said it was one of the best he had written recently. We just have to look beyond the obvious negatives. NMNIta

We just make a concious effort to enjoy our vacations, even if problems arise. Life is too short to dwell on the negative when you have limited vacation time.

You are so right: unless something tragic happens vacations are always or should be fun. We recently went, with 2 others couples to Laughlin NV for four days. None of us won a darn dime, the temps were around 125 to 127 degrees daily, the hotel had lost part of it's air conditioning and one couple didn't get the handicapped room or the view they asked for. We could have turned the entire experience into a pouting period or we could turn it into a laughing vacation. We choose the latter, my husband, who periodically writes columns for our local paper took advantage of the 4 days to write a very funny column. Everyone in our town said it was one of the best he had written recently. We just have to look beyond the obvious negatives. NMNIta

Hi, just thought I would chimed in here after reading some of the replies. My boyfriend and I just came back from our first ever cruise in July on the Carnival Legend sailing out of NYC and we had an AMAZING time! The ship was beautiful, the ports were incredible, and the people were great! I had upgraded us from an inside cabin to a balcony for only $120 pp and I am so glad as I did! We were able to stand out there at night (very romantic), sit out there during the day and read, and have a front row seat as we came into port. I would definitely recommend going with the balcony on Carnival and as for the atmosphere, there was something for everyone, all kinds of age groups, and no drunk, out of control party animals! There was definitely something for us to do at all times, but also lots of quiet sopts on the ship to just sit and relax and people watch. Our next cruise will be on RCI Explorer of the Seas with our 15 yr old daughter, but we will ABSOLUTELY be sailing Carnival again in '07, they have definitely made cruising the only way we will travel from now on!! Hope this helps :o)

As someone who is shopping for a cruise ~ especially given my choices are down to Carnival or RCI ~ I was very interested in this thread's topic. I find the apparent animosity between the cruise line loyalists surprising. I mean, to each their own, right?

Having said that, and please keep in mind I haven't sailed with either line yet so this is really JMHO, I don't find that comment amusing either. I mean, why use negativity towards the competition as a punchline, or be negative about them, period?

I work for a major insurance company, and one of the things we were taught in our training is to be professional and objective about other insurance companies. If I know something for a fact, I'll share that information; for example, I know one company gives their policyholders 24 hours to report an auto accident, and I'll tell a caller that so they don't have to waste their time trying to put in a claim to that company prematurely, but I don't add anything to that in order to present a negative spin on that company [For example, "Yes, it is inconvenient, isn't it?].

Presenting Carnival passengers and/or crew as potential drug users is tasteless and unnecessary, and if I'd sailed on Carnival previously I would've been offended ~ it appears many of the people on these boards take vacations on several different cruise lines, and I'm sure there were probably quite a few frequent Carnival passengers in the audience. Really uncalled for.

My last 2 cents...

My wife and I are in our early 40's. We have been on Carnival 3 times, RCI one and Princess once. We are presently booked for a 12 day Med in Oct on RCI so that will make it twice after that.

Based on what I have seen personally, the food and the cleanliness was better on Carnival. There seemed to be a lot more children on RCI than Carnival but the general feel of RCI was a little more laid back than Carnival. Princess was a lot of seniors and very quiet but the hands down winner in food. A lot of it depends on the itinerary.

Go with the cruise line that gives you the best bang for your buck and is the most convenient. There will be no other way to truly tell than to experience it for yourself.

NB.

Archived