Sitting with strangers in the MDR

sapphire_407

Yes, why? Do you think the service is better, the food better for just one night, why? Yes the food in the specialty restaurants is a lot better than MDR (or buffet) but are you going to eat in a specialty every night for the added cost? We have eaten in specialty restaurants and once the captain ate with us. Or do serve yourself food not quite the same as in MDR in the buffet? If you want anytime why not every night? The menu is the same in the MDR and Anytime so why MDR once?

Just curious.............

Yes, why? Do you think the service is better, the food better for just one night, why? Yes the food in the specialty restaurants is a lot better than MDR (or buffet) but are you going to eat in a specialty every night for the added cost? We have eaten in specialty restaurants and once the captain ate with us. Or do serve yourself food not quite the same as in MDR in the buffet? If you want anytime why not every night? The menu is the same in the MDR and Anytime so why MDR once?

I really don't understand what you're saying here. Are you maintaining that if you eat in the MDR once, you should do it every single night? :confused: If so, I really don't understand that stance. If I have a BOGO on night 1 or I have a special occasion or I want 1 night in a more intimate venue, I shouldn't do it because there are other nights I plan to eat in the MDR?

If that's your opinion, fine. But I hope you realize it's probably not the opinion of most.

Edited by Aquahound

Just to humor you, let's say there are five specialty restaurants on a ship. I want to try all five. I plan on dining in the MDR the other two nights, but one of the specialty restaurants is so good that I want to go back. I am now down to one night in the MDR. I don't like buffets, not to mention that it's my right to eat wherever I choose.

Frankly if anyone has a problem with it, I don't really give a hoot, and I think they need to take up a hobby if they can't find anything better to worry about then where complete strangers choose to eat and why they make those choices.

Apparently, you did not comprehend my first reply. CHOICES. I believe you are confusing MDR and Anytime and specialty. MDR and Anytime are synonymous. Fixed MDR and Anytime MDR have same food, but different concept. I never do fixed MDR unless it is the only choice offered - I will take whatever permutation of Anytime the ship offers. I would go to the MDR one night not because the food is better, but because one of their entrees or salads is something that I'd like that night. Some people will eat in the specialty every night because they want that one steak that they can only get in that one specialty restaurant, even if it costs $25 extra per night. Many nights I have a major Jones for a nice big entree-size salad - best place to get what I want is in the buffet. One of the buffets always had some actually decent Indonesian food that I would get for one of my dinners. But, even if you select Fixed MDR, you are NOT REQUIRED BY ANY CODE to eat there every single night.

Are you serious?:confused:

I would not want to be obliged to eat in the same place every night, especially on a longer cruise. Where it is available we take 'any time' or 'my time' dining but when we have had fixed dining (Cunard) we didn't eat in the MDR quite every night. However, I do think it is courteous, where possible, to inform one's table mates the previous evening, or the Maître d' on the evening if it's a late decision, of one's decision NOT to join the table on that evening so that service is not delayed for the other diners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bowing before everyone's superior wisdom here. I think I'm WAY more confused now!!!

It's our first cruise, I don't want to make people wait for us, but with specialty diet consistency of staff would be nice. So here's a question, would anytime be better for us? Like I said, don't want to make people wait, want to have choices, ideally want a table for two, etc.

I'm sure I'll get 500 different pieces of advice but I'm super stumped on this one.

Go with the Anytime Dining. You are in charge that way. Eat when you want, with whomever you want. Check with the Maitre de when you first board and let him know your dining plans. He will be very accommodating...

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Bowing before everyone's superior wisdom here. I think I'm WAY more confused now!!!

It's our first cruise, I don't want to make people wait for us, but with specialty diet consistency of staff would be nice. So here's a question, would anytime be better for us? Like I said, don't want to make people wait, want to have choices, ideally want a table for two, etc.

I'm sure I'll get 500 different pieces of advice but I'm super stumped on this one.

With special orders and YTD, placed in advance you will get your meals either at the same time or earlier. I do it and have completed my meals before my table mates.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

I agree, go with anytime dining for the most flexibility. You can ask for a table for two or a larger one if you want to eat with others.

Done....

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

21d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

18d Holland America Veendam 07/15

28d Norweigian Spirit 10/15

21d Carnival Triumph 01/16

I have to disagree with those saying you should go to anytime dining. I assume when you say Anytime Dining, you are cruising on Carnival. We have been on different ships, and different lines but have been on Carnival 61 times so we know it well. (Plus 3 other lines this year.)

My husband has acid reflex disease so can't eat red meat with any spices. He will have the shrimp the 1st night. The hostess comes to him every night with the next night's menu. He then choses what he wants. If it is any kind of beef or lamb he orders what he wants. He gets it the next night when everyone gets their entrees- no one has to wait. However he gets his meat with absolutely no spices.

Recently we had a table mate who said she had to be Gluten free. She didn't know to tell anyone. We told her to tell our waiter. He brought the hostess to the table and from then on, our tablemate had food with no Gluten. And, they made a gluten free bread for her every night - she didn't ask for this they just did it for her.

If you're in the MDR they will know when to prepare your dinner, know what table to send it to, and the hostess will know where you are every night to bring you the menu. And, you can meet some great people and see them every night. (If you don't like your table just tell the Maître'd and he will move you to another table and the hostess will know where you are!

Edited by Bonnie J.

I have to disagree with those saying you should go to anytime dining. I assume when you say Anytime Dining, you are cruising on Carnival.

Why on earth would you assume that Anytime Dining means cruising on Carnival? Royal has MyTime Dining. Celebrity has Celebrity Select Dining. HA has the equivalent. I believe that it's called As You Wish Dining, but I don't know for sure, since I haven't sailed on HA since it was implemented.

Anytime Dining (no matter what name the cruiseline calls it) is the best! Sometimes my traveling companion and I just want the entrée for dinner - no soup, no salad, no appetizer, and no dessert, and it's a pleasure to get a table for two and be served our entrees right away, instead of having to sit there and wait for our food while our tablemates eat their soup, salad, and appetizer.

I have to disagree with those saying you should go to anytime dining. I assume when you say Anytime Dining, you are cruising on Carnival.

Most cruise lines have some version of anytime dining. And why do you disagree with those advocating for anytime dining? It doesn't work for you because of your husband's reflUx issue. You like having the same waiter and maitre d' and table companions every night. Well, good for you for having figured out what works best for you and your husband. But why are you so insistent that those of us who DON'T want to eat in the MDR every night are wrong?

I didn't say eating at an Any Time, Freestyle, etc. was wrong. I said in their case with a dietary problem the MDR would probably be best just for them.

By the way, Carnival has MDR or Anytime dining, NCL calls it Freestyle and other ships have names for the same thing, just different names. But Carnival calls it Anytime, that's' why I assume they are going on Carnival.

We do not like NCL because that's all they have but I couldn't care less if that the dining YOU want.

I didn't say eating at an Any Time, Freestyle, etc. was wrong. I said in their case with a dietary problem the MDR would probably be best just for them.

By the way, Carnival has MDR or Anytime dining, NCL calls it Freestyle and other ships have names for the same thing, just different names. But Carnival calls it Anytime, that's' why I assume they are going on Carnival.

We do not like NCL because that's all they have but I couldn't care less if that the dining YOU want.

I have multiple life-threatening food allergies and have had far fewer meals in the traditional MDR that otherwise in my cruises, with no problem. You are grasping at straws.

Regarding "anytime" dining (on any line), even without requesting it, we've often been seated in the same area with the same servers night after night. Also, when we've been particularly happy with our wait staff, we've specifically requested their area every night with no issues (occasionally a little wait if we're dining much earlier or later than usual.)

So, if you're concerned about having to deal with dietary concerns with a different waiter each night with anytime dining, don't worry. You aren't required to have a different waiter.

Bonnie J is correct, we are on Carnival, that is why I said Anytime Dining (also my Sig shows it's a carnival cruise) so no need to jump on people. More concerned with help than with semantics. Bonnie you've really hit my issue, we have the dietary needs that would make a set time ideal but we like the flexibility of YTD and are planning on eating at other establishments.

This question may clinch it... If we went with a set time would others have to wait for us to order? I don't want to be rude and keep people waiting!

Bonnie J is correct, we are on Carnival, that is why I said Anytime Dining (also my Sig shows it's a carnival cruise) so no need to jump on people. More concerned with help than with semantics. Bonnie you've really hit my issue, we have the dietary needs that would make a set time ideal but we like the flexibility of YTD and are planning on eating at other establishments.

This question may clinch it... If we went with a set time would others have to wait for us to order? I don't want to be rude and keep people waiting!

No. From personal experience, since your order is placed the night before, it will come right away or with the other orders, not after.

If you do Yourtime dining, the advance orders are in the computer so even if you get another table/wait team, it will be ready for you.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

Edited by ccruisequeen

In either the MDR or Anytime the waiter likes to have everyone there before he takes orders. They get the whole table's order all at once and bring everyone's order at the same time. This is true in either dining room. If someone is not there - usually just one couple-we've had waiters ask all if he/she should take orders for everyone else there. Depending on how late the other couple is we usually say yes, wait.

The MDR is not like a restaurant. You go at the set time, not later. Everyone waits out side the MDR doors for them to be opened at whichever time you're eating at -5:15 & 8:15. (I don't care what time you eat at home, we like 8:15 as we're not rushed to get out of the dining room for the 8:15 seating.) If you're going to a specialty restaurant you should tell your waiter then they won't wait for you. Some times I go to the buffet when they open at 6PM. There I get cheese squares and saltines by the soup. We munch this with a drink before dinner. One night they have fried shrimp and I'll get those! At home we eat at 7 but are never hungry at any time on a cruise as you find food all over including free room service.

At the Any Time you may have quite a wait to get a table as they'll be a long line at popular dining times. I have even seen people with beepers.

We have met great people sharing a table with them every night One couple from Michigan has driven to out house, on the NC coast, three times, then we cruise together. We've cruised with them every year since we met as tablemates in 2006! And we picked another tablemates up in the Costco parking lot for a cruise after they flew from Tacoma, WA.

And, yes we have changed tables if we can't connect with people- just ask the maître'd and he'll do that for you.

We are Diamond on Carnival, 62 Carnival cruises, so know Carnival, but we also cruise other lines- we're retired so can do that!

FYI, many of often use tablets to read and post to these boards, so we don't see signs. Not trying to give you a hard time, just a PSA.

No. From personal experience, since your order is placed the night before, it will come right away or with the other orders, not after.

If you do Yourtime dining, the advance orders are in the computer so even if you get another table/wait team, it will be ready for you.

I wouldn't want my order coming immediately while others hadn't even had orders taken. On DCL my order was taken the night before and my food was brought at the same time as everyone else's. On Windstar they found me at breakfast each morning with the dinner menu and I selected my meal. Hey brought it to my table (open seating) with everyone else's. They also brought me French bread that was in a separate basket as the other breads had nuts in them.

It would make me quite angry to have my dinner sitting there getting cold while I waited for everyone else to be served. That's rude of the server and not a position a passenger should be put in,

Not showing up at the assigned time puts the rest of your table in an awkward situation. I recommend requesting a table to yourselves or opting for Anytime Dining.

Just FYI, Anytime Dining is often used as a generic term on these boards. ;)