Torn about my extra deep hump balcony on Celebrity Reflection

saltydoge

What should I do?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• You're crazy, keep the 3X deep balcony!
    • Understandable, compromise with the 2X balcony.
    • Downgrade to C3 and get a standard balcony.
    • Screw you and your first world problems bud!

I know the hump cabins are desirable cabins for a lot of people, but I'm worried about the extra deep cabin I have on my upcoming sailing on Reflection. It's one of the Concierge Class cabins on Panorama (9) with an extra-extra deep balcony and I'm worried that the inside of the cabin won't get enough sun.

Should be noted it's just yours truly sailing, no one else. What the hell am I going to do with a 3x deep balcony?

1. Anybody else have any experience with these cabins?
  2. Should I go for the happy medium with a 2x balcony that's available? I'm rated for a C2 room, and wanted to be close to the mid-ship elevators.
  3. Am I being frivolous here? (Answer: Yes)
  4. Can we talk about how weird it is I'm posting this on a message board when, three weeks ago, I would have been happy sailing on this thing with an inside room?

My first post on CC boards, so please be gentle, and I've found you guys really interesting.

You will get sun....no worries. We were in room 1108 on the Equinox...extra large balcony. We hardly ever left the room...only for food and drink. We slept out on the balcony, ate out on the balcony, listed to music out on the balcony, read out on our balcony....it was just that wonderful to have all that extra room. I know others have been concerned about the feeling like a tunnel or cave....no worries really at all. The hump cabins are absolute bliss.

We had 1122 and 1124 angled hump cabins on the Silhoutte. We found there was plenty of sun. My sister had 8226, I believe, which was same size but faced forward and ours faced aft. The extra space is very nice if you are traveling with friends or family. The added depth gives a bit more privacy if that's an issue. We enjoyed the balconies a lot. I will say, we've had "regular" balconies on the Eclipse, which was an AQ, and a C3 on Reflection and found them to be great as well. We have another C3 on Reflection booked for our next cruise.

The Reflection is a beautiful ship with an amazing crew. Enjoy no matter what you decide:)

We were in 9241 port side aft side of the hump last year, one of the best cabins we have stayed in over 25 years spread over 7 diff cruise lines and 15 ships.

Give it up to someone that will enjoy it and move down to a cramped little balcony that you won't want to spend any time on. Problem solved!

Ok, you will find there is no gentle on CC:D

The deep balcony cabins are the first to sell and some of the most wonderful on an S-Class ship.

Have booked those balconys each time for the past 4 cruises, and each time a really good guarantee deal came up for AQ so we dropped it. This year for the first time (in just 2 weeks) will finally be in a C2 with the triple size balcony. Will report when we get back . Hopefully we will love it since its a TA

I know the hump cabins are desirable cabins for a lot of people, but I'm worried about the extra deep cabin I have on my upcoming sailing on Reflection. It's one of the Concierge Class cabins on Panorama (9) with an extra-extra deep balcony and I'm worried that the inside of the cabin won't get enough sun.

Should be noted it's just yours truly sailing, no one else. What the hell am I going to do with a 3x deep balcony?

1. Anybody else have any experience with these cabins?
  2. Should I go for the happy medium with a 2x balcony that's available? I'm rated for a C2 room, and wanted to be close to the mid-ship elevators.
  3. Am I being frivolous here? (Answer: Yes)
  4. Can we talk about how weird it is I'm posting this on a message board when, three weeks ago, I would have been happy sailing on this thing with an inside room?

My first post on CC boards, so please be gentle, and I've found you guys really interesting.

My first "yours truly" sailing is on this ship in January. I toyed with the thought of cancelling, adding a friend, etc, but having sailed on this ship before, the thought of going solo is going to be fabulous! MANY social/common areas, places to chill, the Lawn and Spa......how much time will you spend on your balcony? I hope to spend breakfast only!! Too much to do the rest of the day, and naps are fantastic in the Solarium, cheers!

Hi SALTYDOGE,

Welcome to Cruise Critic & Celebrity !!

Do not give up this C2 Midship Cabin with the Oversized Balcony, because you were regret it for sure.

We had Cabin 1120 on the Solstice for our first Celebrity Cruise (C2 Midship, first off the hump) and it was truly FANTASTIC !!

We were on Deck 10 and we had a great combo of both light & shade. No regrets... Would book it again in a millisecond !!

Deck 9 will be very similar... You will not find yourself in a cave.

On Reflection, Cabins up on Deck 12 will be quite shaded balconies cause of the overhang from Deck 14 (Oceanview Cafe & Pool Deck). But even up then I've heard that most who booked them said they still got a lot of ambient light, just not from directly above.

BTW, if you have not already, you should check out the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY at the top of this Celebrity Forum...

This wonderful STICKY is maintained by LIBRARYLADY19... Go to the last page in the sticky and scroll backwards till you find her most recent posted update... Lots of great info in there... Should certainly elilivate some of your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

We're in the same area, second cabin from hump 9294 so ours is not quite as big a balcony, but I'd never worry about not enough sun....room to stretch out is more important to us and that is why we're there. You can get plenty of sun up top.

We can't wait to sit out and have our coffee and look at Deep Blue. 16 more days!!!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

Help me understand: why are you so concerned about the amount of sun that gets IN the room when you can just stay outside on the balcony (or top decks) and get all the sun you want! I've never thought about the amount of sun inside a room before, but I guess it makes sense...some people (like me) can't be in direct sunlight for very long.

I wouldn't overthink it too much longer...you could check out what else is available close to the mid-ship elevators section you like and if there isnt much, then stick with your cabin! Sounds like a great one!

Hi SALTYDOGE,

I did some digging looking back thru my posting history to see if I could find pics from my first Celebrity Cruise on The Solstice..

And I found this great topic that not only has some of my pics, but has other great ones of Hump Oversized Balconies that clearly show all the floor space, mix of sun & shade, and other advantages

Perhaps this will waylay some of your concerns...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576966

Cheers!

You're over thinking this. Don't worry as the amount of sun getting into the cabin won't be appreciably different. It will depend a lot more on the position of the ship and the sun than the depth of the balcony.

Frankly, the only reason I'd switch would be if a different room cost appreciably less. If you don't think the size of the veranda has a benefit to you then why pay for the location?

BTW, if you have not already, you should check out the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY at the top of this Celebrity Forum...

This wonderful STICKY is maintained by LIBRARYLADY19... Go to the last page in the sticky and scroll backwards till you find her most recent posted update...

Or make life easier and just bookmark the S-Class compilation directly. You'll save loads of time by not having to scroll through pages of posts on the sticky to find the link each time you need to access it.

It is too late to save money on a downgrade, but maybe it all means there will be another upgrade opportunity for you. Lol

I couldn't say if the sun is different on the reflection than other S class, but on other S class I found there was enough sun. I have also had the extra wide balconies on the aft, with little cover. Where there is so much sun the carpets are faded by the door and if it rains it will hit your window and the sound will be so loud you cannot hear anyone speaking. Plenty of sun and other elements there. Useless balcony during a monsoon. And not close to an elevator.

Keep checking for another upgrade, when there are so many options it's hard to know when to let the satisfaction take over. Shopping burnout usually does it for me.

So many helpful opinions, I definitely came to the right place -- thanks everyone for weighing in. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about the balcony now.

I'm over-thinking this. I don't believe I'll spend a great deal of time in my stateroom anyway, and it's not as though this will be my last vacation ever that it has to be perfect, right? I'll try the deep balcony and see what's it's like. If I don't like it, I know for next time. 😎

The majority on the poll say keep it. Some of you opted for choice four, and you're also right; I'm being a fool for even bringing this up as a "problem".

Here are some of my responses:

You're over thinking this. Don't worry as the amount of sun getting into the cabin won't be appreciably different. It will depend a lot more on the position of the ship and the sun than the depth of the balcony.

Frankly, the only reason I'd switch would be if a different room cost appreciably less. If you don't think the size of the veranda has a benefit to you then why pay for the location?

You are correct, I am over-thinking this. I was upgraded to a C2 from a C3 because of loyalty -- I paid $20 extra so I could choose my stateroom and it leveled me up even more.

Or make life easier and just bookmark the S-Class compilation directly. You'll save loads of time by not having to scroll through pages of posts on the sticky to find the link each time you need to access it.

So helpful, thank you!

Hi SALTYDOGE,

I did some digging looking back thru my posting history to see if I could find pics from my first Celebrity Cruise on The Solstice..

And I found this great topic that not only has some of my pics, but has other great ones of Hump Oversized Balconies that clearly show all the floor space, mix of sun & shade, and other advantages

Perhaps this will waylay some of your concerns...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576966

Cheers!

You're a wicked helpful guy John B! I appreciate the photos. :D

We were in 9241 port side aft side of the hump last year, one of the best cabins we have stayed in over 25 years spread over 7 diff cruise lines and 15 ships.

Give it up to someone that will enjoy it and move down to a cramped little balcony that you won't want to spend any time on. Problem solved!

Ok, you will find there is no gentle on CC:D

The deep balcony cabins are the first to sell and some of the most wonderful on an S-Class ship.

We have 9241 on the Silhouette on the TA sailing Nov 1 from Rome. Thanks for the info:)

We had a hump on the Silly in 2012 and absolutely loved it!!