Confused about children in different cabin

Elaine5715

Please explain this thing about booking small children in a different cabin? I know no one is letting a 6 yr stay in their own cabin. So short of booking connecting cabins, what's the reasoning? Why not book a larger capacity cabin? Also, why can you book two minor children in a cabin but not two 20 yrs?

Please explain this thing about booking small children in a different cabin? I know no one is letting a 6 yr stay in their own cabin. So short of booking connecting cabins, what's the reasoning? Why not book a larger capacity cabin? Also, why can you book two minor children in a cabin but not two 20 yrs?

If the minor is 12 and under, then you can book either directly next door, or directly across the hall from their parents. If the minor is 13-17, you can book them up to 3 cabins away from their parents. If they are 18-20, you can book them anywhere on the ship as long as their parents are on board.

You can book two 20 year old people in a cabin, but only if their parents are on board

It's 4 of us, and I've yet to be inclined to stay in a regular size cabin with all of us. If I can avoid that, I will. This year we stayed in a grand scenic oceanview room, which is perfect for 4. Lots of space. Last year we had connecting cabins. Next year the kids are booked in an interior across the hall and there's family traveling with us on either side of them. I would rather pay for a bigger cabin or two cabins. Some families don't mind. Personal decision and it doesn't matter so long as you book it the correct way.

Ship cabins, unless you book a suite, are MUCH smaller than hotel rooms...unless the kids are tots, it's tight....very tight! If you want a tad of comfort on vacation, it's best to book 2 connecting cabins, if you can swing it...everyone will be more comfortable! Usually, 2 regular cabins cost less than 1 suite.

I have to agree with the tight rooms. This trip we just opted for interior connecting rooms for us and the kids (3 and 8). Believe me...that door will be open all the time. It just was cheaper to go that route and my PVP recommended it for our Thanksgiving cruise, otherwise I wouldn't have even thought about it. So we'll see how it works out.

Depending on the age and number of kids, you might want it for space and the extra bathroom. We are a family of three, but our next cruise will be with our best friends who are a family of four. We'll be booking 2 balconies and an interior across the hall for the three kids, who will be 7, 8, and 12 when we sail. If we have to wait for the three divas to get ready, we won't be going anywhere.

I have a 11,9 & 7. Depending upon the kids, I wouldn't have a problem with them being across the hall. I prefer that to being next door. I like the doors to be right across from one another because I can more easily monitor them. My kids are good followers of rules and my 11yo is chief among them.

I actually have 8 "kids" altogether. The 3 that I mentioned are the youngest. On our last cruise my kids were 20,19,18,16,13,10,8,7. The boys (18,16,8,7) stayed down the hallway and across ( 3 cabins between us). The girls (20,19,13,10) stayed in the opposite hallway ( back to back with the boys cabin) . I never had an issue with the 13 & 10yo in bed while the older girls were out with friends from our group. In the boys cabin, either the big boys had to be in for the night or the little boys needed to be with us, the girls, or our friends at night until the big boys were in for bed. The 8yo is a rule follower and a clever kid, but the 7yo can be a bit "brave" at times, so this is why we tailored the rules differently for them.

Connecting cabins aren't always available. I probably have one of the most complicated families when it comes to figuring out cabins. You also need to know that on paper, I was in the girls cabin and the older kids were the occupants of record on the boys cabin down the hall.

If the minor is 12 and under' date=' then you can book either directly next door, or directly across the hall from their parents. If the minor is 13-17, you can book them up to 3 cabins away from their parents. If they are 18-20, you can book them anywhere on the ship as long as their parents are on board.

You can book two 20 year old people in a cabin, but only if their parents are on board[/quote']

This is correct. I just looked it up on the Carnival web site a few days ago to be sure I posted correct information.

I think where some people become confused is when friends of their children accompany. If the parents are not on board the rules change.

Connecting cabins are hard to get and limited in location. I decided on an inside across the hall as opposed to connecting balconies, for example. You can see their door. And we're bringing a small baby monitor so I can hear everything! My kids know better than trying anything though. And there's family right next door as well.

I did it because I wanted to sail in an aft wrap on deck 4.

It was like having a 2 bedroom suite, 2 bathrooms for the three of us, joined at the sitting room.

And yes, she was 6 at the time. It was fun watching them try to assign a sail and sign account to her.

Edited by Orison

7, 8 and 12 and you are not booking connecting cabins? Too young to be alone if you ask me but that is just my opinion.

I know my kid and nieces, and...

Connecting cabins are hard to get and limited in location. I decided on an inside across the hall as opposed to connecting balconies, for example. You can see their door. And we're bringing a small baby monitor so I can hear everything! My kids know better than trying anything though. And there's family right next door as well.

Ditto. There are very few connecting cabins.

We are taking our kids on their first cruise Thanksgiving week. We were originally all booked in 1 4j room on the lobby deck. 2 weeks ago I searched and there were still 2 connecting 4j rooms on the same deck so I was able to get us the 2 connecting rooms and only paid and extra $209 ($30 total per night). Since you pay per person and not per room it's not much more to book 2 rooms since only the 3rd and 4th are discounted from the regular rate and not by much. Since both of these 4js are quads I think we will have lots of room now.