Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

I was on the 10/12 sailing of the Conquest. As we boarded we were handed a letter saying they were watching the weather due to the tropical storm near Puerto Rico. Right after the muster drill the captain came on the speaker and said that the storm had been upgraded to a hurricane and our entire itinerary had been changed from eastern (HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) to western (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya) and anyone that wanted to disembark in Miami before we sailed could do so. After a 2 hour delay we finally sailed as about 20 people decided to disembark. Everyone was disappointed about the change but there was no angry mob. The next morning there was a mob at the shore excursion desk as everyone was trying to rebook their excursions. We received a $6.02 credit for the difference in port fees. Everyone I spoke to still had a wonderful time and made the best of a situation that no one had any control over.

I was on the 10/12 sailing of the Conquest. As we boarded we were handed a letter saying they were watching the weather due to the tropical storm near Puerto Rico. Right after the muster drill the captain came on the speaker and said that the storm had been upgraded to a hurricane and our entire itinerary had been changed from eastern (HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) to western (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya) and anyone that wanted to disembark in Miami before we sailed could do so. After a 2 hour delay we finally sailed as about 20 people decided to disembark. Everyone was disappointed about the change but there was no angry mob. The next morning there was a mob at the shore excursion desk as everyone was trying to rebook their excursions. We received a $6.02 credit for the difference in port fees. Everyone I spoke to still had a wonderful time and made the best of a situation that no one had any control over.

thanks

Thank God there are at least some decent people still left in the world! :)

I guess maybe it's me, but I'm surprised there were even 20 people getting off. I mean it's their choice, and they didn't make a scene or anything, but I just can't imagine.

I've worked all the way up to my vacation, I'm packed, I'm on, I'm ready. I wouldn't choose that route over the original (been to all of those), but NO WAY that would cause me to get off.

I do get the hassle of rebooking excursions. I don't remember, can you do this on the TV?

Edited by Domino D

The only reason I know how many people got off was because my roommate, even though I told her a million times not to, packed her soda in her checked bag and then locked the bag. I told her she would probably be called to the naughty room. She thought I was joking. Sure enough she had to go there at 5:30 with the key. Since she gets lost in her own house (I love her dearly but her OCD is getting worse as she gets older) I had to go with her. The area where I waited for her was right near the gangway and I actually watched the people get off. For me, if the ship sails, I'm staying on board, even if it means all sea days!!!!!

Yes, on Conquest you can so shore excursions on the TV.

Edited by Namelocg

I wonder if some of the ones that got off did so due to the weather. They may have been more worried about rough seas then the Iten change.

Ive got one for you, we were on the Triumph Dec.2012. 4 day to Cozumel.

The ship was having issues the cruise before ours and didnt arrive until 6pm that evening instead of 830am.

So we could not start boarding until about 830pm.

So while everyone was sitting and waiting to board Carnival paased out letters to EVERYONE tell them we could not make Cozumel but had to stop at Progreso. Gave everyone the option to cancel and get a full refund and 50% off a future cruise. If you stayed you received 50 obc per guest.

When we got on the ship they had it on the TV and announced it over the pa system multiple times. I had to go to guest services to set up my kids spending limits. While in line the lady in front of me was angry about the change and wanted to demand a refund because no one told her about the change.

She demanded phone numbers to cal and get it handled. The funny part was when I pointed out to her that the paper she was writing the numbers on the back of was the letter Carnival had given everyone about the change.

See seemed to have no argument after that, just wanted something for nothing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

I agree and would also point out, that while I realize this is a cruise forum, these are not issues related only to cruises.

I have been to ski resorts when it didn't snow, all inclusive beach resorts when it rained all week, and both Universal and Disney when rides, and/or sections of the park, were closed (for maintenance, stupidity of other riders, and exclusive use by Companies and Celebrities). In all of these cases, I got exactly nothing back.

While some of these are not exact parallels to cruise ports missed, they are all things that changed vacation plans and experiences. They are mostly out of anyone's control, and the ones that were decisions made by the company involved, were covered in the ticketing agreement.

It's not like the captain woke up and said "Let's just skip that spot, I'm not feeling it". Things happen when you travel. We're on vacation and it sucks when they happen, but it is what it is. Make the best of it, because that is all you can do. My whole family learned to play Texas Holdem during a tropical storm at a beach resort.

If people think Carnival doesn't care, try to get a dime back from Disney.

As a matter of fact, an email about closed rides got us all a day ticket, good for a year, at either Disneyland or Disney World along with a very nice letter apologizing for the disappointment.

Ive got one for you, we were on the Triumph Dec.2012. 4 day to Cozumel.

The ship was having issues the cruise before ours and didnt arrive until 6pm that evening instead of 830am.

So we could not start boarding until about 830pm.

So while everyone was sitting and waiting to board Carnival paased out letters to EVERYONE tell them we could not make Cozumel but had to stop at Progreso. Gave everyone the option to cancel and get a full refund and 50% off a future cruise. If you stayed you received 50 obc per guest.

When we got on the ship they had it on the TV and announced it over the pa system multiple times. I had to go to guest services to set up my kids spending limits. While in line the lady in front of me was angry about the change and wanted to demand a refund because no one told her about the change.

She demanded phone numbers to cal and get it handled. The funny part was when I pointed out to her that the paper she was writing the numbers on the back of was the letter Carnival had given everyone about the change.

See seemed to have no argument after that, just wanted something for nothing.

That's funny, would have liked to seen her face.

was just sent an email from my sister who is on her honeymoon on the Breeze. There is a large crowd in front of guest service screaming and chanting "refund" due to not being allowed to disembark at grand cayman and docking at the international port at Cozumel. Their itinerary was changed the first sea day due to a medical emergency, then docked at 1am at grand cayman due to a crew remember emergency. Guest services is refusing to offer compensation to anyone, which is what led to the large crowd forming.

What is the size of a large mob? One thousand?

Its was priceless, even the gs lady giggled a little. The lady lookes like she swallowed a frog.

Always someone wanting something for nothing, I give Carnival kuddos for trying to make it easier on everyone. If I remember right we even had open bar for one hour on 2 nights to help with the change.

Its was priceless, even the gs lady giggled a little. The lady lookes like she swallowed a frog.

Always someone wanting something for nothing, I give Carnival kuddos for trying to make it easier on everyone. If I remember right we even had open bar for one hour on 2 nights to help with the change.

As a former hotel front desk clerk, I can imagine the GS Reps response.

I have the same thought. Mob is not a standard unit of measure. There was a video posted by a cc member named disconnections, on page 2 I think. It was a lobby full and clearly could qualify as a mob.

All I can envision is a herd of zombies from The Walking Dead. You know pressed up against the Guest Services desk, gnawing at them and constantly pushing in.

My wife is right. I watch too much television.

While on the Dream we woke up on our last day at sea and noted the ship was going damn fast. We never questioned why, we just thought we needed time to make up. At lunch they announced we needed to get back to New Orleans ASAP to debark a critically ill passenger and we'd be entering the Mississippi at 1pm. The shops onboard stayed open until 1pm and then closed. Some people were pissed the stores closed and that we would be losing a good part of the last sea day for a ill passenger...It sucked, but the passenger needed to get off, so let's make some delicious lemonade!!!!!

No one seemed to be upset, as a matter of fact, everyone was tickled to see the Mississippi River during the day and for some, many that is, to turn their cell phones on early!

Yes, it felt odd coming back from the early adult comedy show and we were perhaps 30 minutes from docking in New Orleans. I felt for the port workers because they had to come out and secure the ship. Debarkation started early the next morning. Nothing was said about the sick passenger, but they did get taken off on a coast guard boat a couple hours after entering the river.

It is sad to know passengers would only think of themselves knowing a fellow passenger or a crew member needed medical assistance..

I've been on cruises that were diverted because of medical emergencies

IMG_6008.JPG

of an inflatable monkey overboard

IMG_3404.JPG

Have missed Barcelona and Monte Carlo and there was never a gathering of compensation seekers disrupting normal operations.

If there had been, they would likely have been laughed off of the ship.

Carnival chose to give the guests the $200 onboard credit and 50% off future credit because from the time the news broke about the lab tech being onboard until she arrived back in Galveston (and her 21 day incubation period was over and she tested negative for Ebola), all the people onboard (and all around the world, for that matter) were on pins and needles waiting to see if there was going to be an outbreak of some kind. That was emotional trauma. Carnival was not responsible in any way for that.

Simply missing a port (as aggravating or disappointing as that is) is not emotional trauma. Any seasoned cruiser has probably missed one of two ports of call sometime down the line. All that fine print states you aren't guaranteed any ports of call.

I sailed on the Fantasy once ten years ago (right between Hurricane Frances and Hurricane Ivan). The ship wasn't even able to make it back to Port Canaveral because the water levels had dropped so drastically. We had to go through embarkation at Port canaveral. Then, Carnival transported all the guests by bus to Miami to get on this ship. The storm wasn't their fault either. Yet, we all got an onboard credit and the cruise ended up being fantastic. Also, they contacted everyone they could and allowed them to cancel up to the day of for a full refund-even if you didn't have any insurance...just to keep people happy-that might not want the hassle of riding three more hours.

I have the same thought. Mob is not a standard unit of measure. There was a video posted by a cc member named disconnections, on page 2 I think. It was a lobby full and clearly could qualify as a mob.

All I can envision is a herd of zombies from The Walking Dead. You know pressed up against the Guest Services desk, gnawing at them and constantly pushing in.

My wife is right. I watch too much television.

That video is six years old and is because of the complete change of itinerary. The guy yelling is (or was) a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Take care,

Mike

A large mob is Tony Soprano and Pussy Bonpensiero. :D

Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your servers.

That video is six years old and is because of the complete change of itinerary. The guy yelling is (or was) a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Take care,

Mike

Six years old or not, it is still a video of a riot on a Carnival ship over an itinerary change. Would it be any different if a high school janitor was running the show?

Six years old or not, it is still a video of a riot on a Carnival ship over an itinerary change. Would it be any different if a high school janitor was running the show?

This thread refers to the Carnival Breeze. Not what happened on Magic six years ago.

It's like posting WWII video of a battle in Afghanistan. They were both wars that the U.S. fought.

The lawyer in the Miracle video was trying to get people to sign a petition for a class action suit.

If the supporting facts are not relevant to the topic then the entire point is irrelevant.

Take care,

Mike