Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

DH and I was on this cruise - was one of our favorite cruises! Our review below describes it well!!

Really interesting to read your first hand account, and how you took things. Perspective is everything. There is a Youtube video of the Captain giving his speech at the welcome. The title of the video is "Rude Captain on Carnival Miracle Aug 29 - Sep 6"

Interesting to read your review. Because I watched that video, and while I thought this guy is not a public speaker, he didn't seem "rude". I took it like you, he was trying to lighten the mood while delivering some bad news. Classic mistake, he felt the need to explain and over explained. People like you were okay to begin with, and the people who were unhappy, were going to run every word through a filter of unhappiness.

It was embarrassing (for the jerks that did it) then and it still is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But a previous poster claimed the captain ordered 600 off the ship in sf

That was not true. The pax had the option and some chose to leave in sf

Clarity and accuracy are important

So to be clear ccl did not force 600 pax off in sf during that splendor cruise

They were given the option and took it

As I posted previously on our dcl hurricaine Frances cruise we too we given the option in Galveston. Some took it

We did not and enjoyed 4 additional sunny sea days

We no longer make ccl our first choice due to the demographics of great many ccl cruisers

However we would cruise ccl in the Baltic or med due to the demographics of those pax but more importantly the

Price

Dates

Ports

Must be exactly what we are looking for

Princess provided the best deal for us in 2012

Ncl is providing the bang for our buck for 12 days in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

It isn't necessary to de-ship 600 pax to end a riot. The blame can usually be placed on 2 or 3 people. They should be allowed to cool off in the brig and debarked at the next port.... and put on a banned for life list. :mad:

sheeples.

A cemetery and a reef. At the north end of 7 mile beach.

That was our first GC excursion on our very first cruise. We were on a tight budget. Grabbed a cab and had a great time. Deserted, pristine, and the fish were big. Some even had teeth, (not barracuda), and would swim up behind you in your blind spot. :eek:

I highly recommend.

I was on this "swine cruise" and you are correct in that NO ONE was kicked off. Actually people were allowed to disembark back in Long beach on the way up to San Francisco. There were about 600 who left voluntarily. I stayed on-board, had a blast and got 50% off a future cruise.

To be exact, we boarded in Long Beach on the way to our first port of call, Puerto Vallarta. As we were passing Cabo we pulled into the bay. At that time the captain came on and announced that the CDC notified the ship that if he allowed anyone off in a Mexican port that when we got back to Long Beach that the ship and its passengers would be quarantined for up to 3 days before we could get off the ship. At that time the captain decided to turn-around North and head to San Francisco. People who wanted to get off in Long Beach would get a prorated refund and 50% off a future cruise.

I don't believe that is correct. Many were given the option to disembark in San Francisco, being the cruise turned into a CTN, and many did not wish to continue cruising. They were not "put off". And those people were put on some famous "removed tips" email that lit the internet on fire.

Found a AS IT HAPPENED thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975387&highlight=swine+flu+splendor

But a previous poster claimed the captain ordered 600 off the ship in sf

That was not true. The pax had the option and some chose to leave in sf

Clarity and accuracy are important

So to be clear ccl did not force 600 pax off in sf during that splendor cruise

They were given the option and took it

As I posted previously on our dcl hurricaine Frances cruise we too we given the option in Galveston. Some took it

We did not and enjoyed 4 additional sunny sea days

We no longer make ccl our first choice due to the demographics of great many ccl cruisers

However we would cruise ccl in the Baltic or med due to the demographics of those pax but more importantly the

Price

Dates

Ports

Must be exactly what we are looking for

Princess provided the best deal for us in 2012

Ncl is providing the bang for our buck for 12 days in January.

I was referring to the jerks chanting at the GS desk. I have no problem with someone getting off (it's their call Nd their cruise). Just don't blame Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

A few pictures of the recent gathering of upset passengers on Carnival Breeze.

The crowd started larger, but once the presence of security was brought into the mix it thinned out. This was after about 30 minutes:

Lobby%20Anger%201-XL.jpg

Lobby%20Anger%205-L.jpg

People were then told their issues would definitely be heard, but only in an orderly fashion. A line was built, and Guest Services did their best to deal with the challenges during that morning and early afternoon.

Lobby%20Anger%203-L.jpg

Some passengers received nothing (and some expected nothing - they just wanted their frustrations to be heard) . . . and some other passengers who presented the best cases did get some refund and/or onboard credit.

The initial GS verbal response was probably not their best choice, but once they tempered it, things seemed to go better.

The staff at the desk really did a commendable job with an uneasy task that day, and kudos to the security team for quick reaction, and presence throughout most of that entire day.

The crowd started larger, but once the presence of security was brought into the mix it thinned out. This was after about 30 minutes:

Lobby%20Anger%201-XL.jpg

Lobby%20Anger%205-L.jpg

People were then told their issues would definitely be heard, but only in an orderly fashion. A line was built, and Guest Services did their best to deal with the challenges during that morning and early afternoon.

Lobby%20Anger%203-L.jpg

Some passengers received nothing (and some expected nothing - they just wanted their frustrations to be heard) . . . and some other passengers who presented the best cases did get some refund and/or onboard credit.

The initial GS verbal response was probably not their best choice, but once they tempered it, things seemed to go better.

The staff at the desk really did a commendable job with an uneasy task that day, and kudos to the security team for quick reaction, and presence throughout most of that entire day.

Don, thanks for following up by detailing the situation and providing images.

Edited by Disconnections

Well I am surprised to hear that there was OBC or whatnot given out. I guess I'm not a squeaky enough wheel. I was happy getting the port charges refunded, it bought Sandy and I another Mocha Getaway that evening! :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Where is the selfie of you at the head of the VIP line? :D

Lobby%20Anger%201-XL.jpg

Lobby%20Anger%205-L.jpg

Lobby%20Anger%203-L.jpg

Well I am surprised to hear that there was OBC or whatnot given out. I guess I'm not a squeaky enough wheel. I was happy getting the port charges refunded, it bought Sandy and I another Mocha Getaway that evening! :D

Im interested to know why only some got Obc and some didn't?

Hmmm

Both medical emergency announcements were made on board. The boat was diverted to cozumel while they were in route to grand cayman because of a passenger medical emergency. Then after leaving cozumel, a crew member had a medical issue and the boat sped to grand cayman and arrived at 1am. In the morning an announcement was made that the boat would not be staying at grand cayman and they would have an additional sea day

We were on the Breeze for this sailing. And things happened as xSpec stated.

We did get refund on port charges for GC - some $19 and change. Been to GC a few times on a cruise and this was the first time we could not tendered. Only go to GC to take the local bus to Cemetery Beach or other 7-mile beaches. Couldn't care less about Cozumel. We got there at 3:00 PM and left at 11:00 PM. Way too much time in Coz. We docked at International Pier (first time there) and we walked over to Puerta Maya pier. Then bought some $1.00 beers at International beer and got back on board in two hours. Don't care for the beaches in Coz. Too crowded, full of seaweed, and rocky entries.

Probably will not sail the Breeze again. Did not like the big ships with over 4300 passengers (this cruise). But will sail Carnival again. Food was pretty good.

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

And for those who have forgotten, there was no Ebola on the Magic.

Bottom line, can the Breeze passengers want the same treatment? Sure.

Can even choose to demand the same treatment.

But.... are they entitled to it?

100% no.

And depending on your personal make up... that either "makes total sense" to you, or is "not fair" to you. :rolleyes:

Either way, doesn't change the fact that it is reality.

Edited by Smart Arsenal Fan

Most importantly I don't like the mob mentality and just like when you are flying and there are problems in boarding times etc.. getting upset does nothing to help.

With that said, it may be a little snobbish of us when we say oh, we have been there before, I didn't care..... Beaches are always crowded there... etc etc.. That's not how someone on either their first cruise or first time to GC is thinking. I understand their frustration not the way they express it. Especially the first time cruiser sees it as 1/3 of a three port cruise cancelled and doesn't see port charges returned as equal compensation.

To Carnival's credit if you take time to read what is on their site they address tendered ports and you do get to understand you may not be able to go ashore.

In what way was it embarrassing?

off the top of my head:

1. mob mentality

2. yelling and chanting at a guest service desk

3. don't ruin my vacation mentality

4. they don't control a cruise line

5. dumb reason for asking for credit

6. if you complain you will get a credit

7. lack of knowledge - cruise contract

8. etc etc etc

It is the ugly American tourist scenario. It happens all the time.

Bottom line, if I had been there I would have been embarrassed, for the GS staff and as a fellow cruiser, as a Carnival customer, hence the comment.

I was on this sailing and the "mob" is being overstated. Sure, there was a lot of complaining but it was not like there were hundreds and hundreds of passengers with pitchforks and torches storming the guest services desk.

My biggest gripe with the whole thing was not the medical emergencies, 4 rainy days, or the missed ports, which one could argue that we missed Cozumel too since schedule change brought us in from 3-11 pm rather than during daytime, but it was a somewhat lackluster response to these changes.

When it was announced that we would be diverting to Cozumel first, they didn't open the shore excursion desk until the normally scheduled time. So it left a group of us standing in line waiting for the desk to open. Why not have crew there as soon as they made the announcement to assist passengers? Also, when we missed GC, there should have been a bunch of on-board activities added but once again, there was a minimal response from the staff. They did add a second lobster night in the dining room as a bone for such a "challenging" cruise.

I was on the Magic beside the Breeze the day this happened. We saw a tender go ashore from the Breeze with some people on it, and then all tenders to both ships stopped... we couldn't figure out why the first tender had people on it- the medical emergency makes sense now.

We also missed Grand Cayman that day and were given $19.76 pp refund for port fees. But seeing the seas that day, I was just as glad they didn't try to debark us- it would have been way too dangerous. a few people were disappointed but everyone was calm and rational about it.

We had 2 incidents from the weather onboard the Magic that week- one was the first night and we listed so hard to port that I literally fell out of bed! The next was during lunch on the second sea day- rough seas, high wind and we cut hard to starboard... we were in the Lido deck buffet area and plates all over the room slid right off the tables onto the floor. One table beside the window was full of pates of food- that ended up all over the window!

I was on this sailing and the "mob" is being overstated. Sure, there was a lot of complaining but it was not like there were hundreds and hundreds of passengers with pitchforks and torches storming the guest services desk.

My biggest gripe with the whole thing was not the medical emergencies, 4 rainy days, or the missed ports, which one could argue that we missed Cozumel too since schedule change brought us in from 3-11 pm rather than during daytime, but it was a somewhat lackluster response to these changes.

When it was announced that we would be diverting to Cozumel first, they didn't open the shore excursion desk until the normally scheduled time. So it left a group of us standing in line waiting for the desk to open. Why not have crew there as soon as they made the announcement to assist passengers? Also, when we missed GC, there should have been a bunch of on-board activities added but once again, there was a minimal response from the staff. They did add a second lobster night in the dining room as a bone for such a "challenging" cruise.

I can understand your disappointment, I would be as well. My "mob" comments were not from your cruise, but a Splendor cruise from a couple of years ago that someone through up here as a point of reference as to what some of us thought "might" be happening (as of that time we did not know or have any facts).

Our last cruise was on the Splendor out of New York in August where we had to dodge a hurricane/tropical storm on our way to Florida as it ran up the east coast. The announced our missed port (true, it was only one, but also a shuffling of the remaining ports - days and time wise) before boarding began, and after boarding, they delayed the opening of the excursion desk for a couple of hours as they scrambled around trying to determine what they needed to do. I think that was the right decision, the only gripe I had (small one) was they could have made announcements along the way as to when it was going to open and the reasons why (which they did do right before it opened).

The pitch forks and torches do bring mental images though....;)

I was on the Magic beside the Breeze the day this happened. We saw a tender go ashore from the Breeze with some people on it, and then all tenders to both ships stopped... we couldn't figure out why the first tender had people on it- the medical emergency makes sense now.

We also missed Grand Cayman that day and were given $19.76 pp refund for port fees. But seeing the seas that day, I was just as glad they didn't try to debark us- it would have been way too dangerous. a few people were disappointed but everyone was calm and rational about it.

We had 2 incidents from the weather onboard the Magic that week- one was the first night and we listed so hard to port that I literally fell out of bed! The next was during lunch on the second sea day- rough seas, high wind and we cut hard to starboard... we were in the Lido deck buffet area and plates all over the room slid right off the tables onto the floor. One table beside the window was full of pates of food- that ended up all over the window!

Food on the window, now that is a rough weather experience that we have not had the opportunity (nor wish to) to witness. We did have someone in our group get thrown out of bed (very front balcony cabin) during a particularly rough sea night.:eek:

off the top of my head:

1. mob mentality

2. yelling and chanting at a guest service desk

3. don't ruin my vacation mentality

4. they don't control a cruise line

5. dumb reason for asking for credit

6. if you complain you will get a credit

7. lack of knowledge - cruise contract

8. etc etc etc

It is the ugly American tourist scenario. It happens all the time.

Bottom line, if I had been there I would have been embarrassed, for the GS staff and as a fellow cruiser, as a Carnival customer, hence the comment.

I guess I just don't understand how you were embarrassed. I guess you must have thought they were representing you or something.

BTW, usually only when you do complain do you get credit, unless there's suspected Ebola on board. One cruise of passengers not getting to one port involving virus got $200 on board credit, and 50% off their next cruise.

Another cruise of passengers not getting to any of their ports also including virus got nothing. And then something.

Cant fix stupid. I remember one time the Carnival Triumph turned around and headed back to Galveston due to a death on board at 1:00AM the fist night out. They life-flighted the victim, turned around to allow the whole family to get off the boat. We missed a port and who cares, we were on vacation. That was first class for Carnival to value the families' ability to get off the boat over money from Excursions. And I also value Carnival's concern over passenger safety over a few idiots on board demanding to get off the boat even when an unsafe environment may arise. I drink a lot on cruises... I need Carnival to make the safe decisions like that for me.

I don't know what that time frame was, but once the itinerary changed, the ship had to contact all the excursion vendors to make new arrangements and that takes time. The vendors themselves would have to make sure they had the resources available and that also takes time.

It is really a shame that some folks reacted the way they did, if anything they wasted part of their cruise acting like idiots. I have had cruises cut short, ports missed, a 4 day cruise changed from Cozumel to Progreso, etc. Ship happens. Go grab a cocktail and relax.