Looking into El Yaque Beach on Margarita Island

wdblake

I live on the island and I work at the port. The port, El Guamache, is about 30 minutes away. It will cost you about $20 per person give or take a few $. This is outrageous for the island, but the taxis service is run by one company at the port. Not anyone is allowed entrance into the port. It's very controlled. The port is far away from anything, so you have to pay out of the nose to leave the port in transportation. You can start walking, but it's about 10 miles to the nearest bus stop. No the fares from the port are not run by the government. It's controlled by the taxi company that works at the port, not the port itself.

Now about El Yaque. The beach is famously known for windsurfing. It's a nice little beach, with some nice palm treas and huts around. You can go parasailing (sp?), jet skiing, windsurfing, and play volleyball. It's lined with little hotels that can serve you lunch, or you can eat at a "kiosko" that is a little outside booth. Order a hamburger. They are the best. The island makes these big burgers with beaf, ham, fried egg, bacon, with all the works. They are better than McDonalds any day. The fries are terrible, though. You'll have to go to McDonalds for some of those. The beach has plenty of shade from the palm treas. The hotels at El Yaque are mainly owned by Germans and Canadians, so there is a lot of English spoken. Most workers know a little English, so getting help is not normally a problem. You will have a hard time getting a taxi back from the beach to the port. You'll want to make sure you have some bolivares to pay the return fare. You pay dollars for the fare at the port for leaving. There is a taxi stop at one spot on the beach, but you'll probably have to wait for a taxi. If you eat lunch at a restaurant on the beach you can probably ask them to phone for a cab for you. That would be the easiest. Before you get into the taxi talk the price with the driver. Ask how much to "El Guamache", and they'll start out with a higher amount, because you are an American, so therefor richer. It's sad, but true. Try talking them down. Don't be afraid to walk away if you feel that it's too much. I do it all the time. LOL.

There is a beach at the port. It's not one of our best on the island, but it's nice. There is also an open air market with 150 booths of handmade and Venezuelan items. You pay dollars for everything at the port. There are also 2 bars. One of the bars is at the end of the lane, near the beach that has live music and dancing.

I hope this information helps you.

• 2 months later...

We read a little about "El Yaque" Beach on Margarita Island. Has anyone been there? How much is cab fare? Worth going to? Are cab rates set by government?

This was our favorite stop on a S. Carribean cruise with Celebrity. I loved the beach because I enjoy taking long walks and the beach was very long. However, I'm not sure how safe the beach is as I have a friend who vacationed there and told me she and her husband were robbed. I'm not sure if that was an isolated incident or not. The waves were huge the day we went. There were a lot of vendors trying to sell their wares on the beach. I didn't mind because I got to practice my Spanish. We shared a van ride with a bunch of others that seemed to make the price of the journey reasonable. I would definitely recommend spending a the day there.

• 3 weeks later...

Cab fares were really high----don't feed in to paying these rates and perhaps that might eventually drive the rates down?? Well, you have to believe. The RT fare to the main shopping area (Polamar?) was $40 for two people.

The vendors right at the cruise port sell many nice jewelry and souvenir items for decent prices. They take US money and all that I encountered spoke English and bargained . The beach that is right there looked nice and all seemed to be enjoying. There a few homeless dogs right there so take some dog cookies or a snack for them. You'll make their day.

• 1 month later...

I will be there on Jan 13, 2006 and I would like to buy a pearle neckless to my wife.

What kind of quality are they?

If Klouised you read this, tell me how to find your store.

Thanking all of you in advance

Francois

Hello,

I wondered if any of you also know that at the Port in Margarita, El Guamache they do have things to do there. Such as Banana Boat rentals, Jet Ski's, Paddle Boats, lawn shade chairs, sun umbrellas and a bar too.

They are in the process of possibly bringing Waterland which is located in Porlamar to the port instead. Waterland is where you can swim with the Dolphins or their Sea Lion Suzzy in Margarita. I personally went with my kids to visit and swim with their Sea Lion. We have an unforgettable memory and neat pictures. We went in Oct. 05.

You can swim at El Guamache's beach and also watch as their Venezuelan dancers put on a small show.

I have pictures of the port if you are interested.

hope this helps a little too,

thanks for your time,

Marsha

I will be there on Jan 13, 2006 and I would like to buy a pearle neckless to my wife.

What kind of quality are they?

If Klouised you read this, tell me how to find your store.

Thanking all of you in advance

Francois

Francois, the pearls are very low priced. I seriously don't think that you can find pearl necklaces at a lower price anywhere else. There are different qualities of pearls and different styles. The lowest priced pearls are small natural pearls starting at around $6 a strand. Natural means lumpy and malformed, but some people like them that way. Cultured pearls are perfectly formed round, all the same size and such. They come in white, cream, light pink, peach, and grey. We don't have natural black color, because those are special and are very expensive. Pearls also come in rectangle shapes. They tend to be a grey color with irridecent in them. Then we have dyed pearls in all colors. They are very pretty, but the shape and such are lower quality. The prices go from $6 on up to around $30. Some people make necklaces with the pearls mixed in with semi precious stones, shells and such to make nice necklaces and those run around $25-$50. The lower priced necklaces are of lower quality, and the quality goes up with the prices. I like the dyed pearls, but you have to be careful with them. You might pay too much for those. The rectangle shaped pearls are higher in price and are still good quality. I hope this helps you. You'll have lots of choices to pick from. There are lots of booths selling jewelry and most of those have pearl strands to pick from. I hope you have fun!

Archived