Excruciatingly long immigration in NYC

Jazzbo

Over decades of travelling to the US I have never found the customs officials to be anything but rude, belligerent and overly suspicious. I can't imagine how this attitude, combined with a tendency to do everything as slowly and inefficiently as possible, makes the country any safer. It just seems unprofessional and hardly fills me with confidence. I just hope the people behind the scenes are doing a more professional job than the goons who stamp the passports.

After an overly butch female almost broke my finger pressing on it as it wouldn't produce a print in Galveston ( after a TA which was effected by hurricane Wilma, causing us to miss Key West) I vowed never to enter the States again. After a few years of persuasion by DH to visit Hawaii, we went through immigration in Los Angeles.

Here the agent asked me if I suffered from arithitis, before inviting me to press my fingers on a moist pad. My fingers produced a print.

He had obviously 'taken the course' in dealing with the public and restored my confidence, so I have since visited the USA for a number of cruise holidays.:)

PS the XRay machine at Galveston didn't pick up the fact that I had a new knee, so my faith in that airport was hit a further blow. I now prefer to go through airports where I am not 'frisked' I prefer the body scanner, as I have nothing to hide.

Edited by upwarduk

The only way I know of to fix any of this is to complain to the PTBs. Last January, I flew out of STL to Baltimore on Southwest. The line to get through the TSA was quite long - long enough that I was glad I had three hours before my flight. I snapped a photo on my phone and sent it to the TSA, Southwest and my congressman. One of the photos I took showed a bunch of TSA agents standing around doing nothing while we waited in lines, and only only scanner open. A total waste of time and people.

In February, we waited an extra long time to clear after our cruise n the Equinox. When I got home, I again wrote a letter to my congressman.

I plan to keep my phone handy the next few trips, and if the lines are like that again, y congressman will be getting more photos and letters. I encourage my fellow US citizens to do the same.

Maybe the cruise line will include a CBP agent on future cruises if enough people complain. For those of you who are able to sail the TAs, I hope you complain in writing about the time it took, and suggest that it was not necessary. There must be a CBP agent that would be willing to join you on the TA!

We were on two Equinox cruises this year ending in FLL. The first one took us until noon to disembark, we had a ride waiting in the parking lot all morning. So very glad we did not have a flight booked that day.

The second was a breeze...basically walked off.

sloop...thanks for the reminder we are on high alert.

So sorry OP that must have been miserable this time of year.

I find this discussion about unpleasant experiences coming into the US very interesting.

Members of my family have also experienced over zealous TSA agents, and one woman particular was really rude to my oldest son.

However, the absolute worst experience in over 40 years of travel was coming into London in the Spring of 2012. We happened to land on the very day that the lack of staff and long lines through customs and immigration at LHR was on the news that night.

By the time we had been in line for almost 3 hours, and the one and only immigration person closed up shop and left, leaving two others on the far side of the building standing there having a chat, my husband lost his cool. He and several others started yelling, and my husband starting calling out to the chatty ones.

Well, he was pulled out of line, and an supervisor about 5 ft nothing to my husband's 6' 1" started berating him. My husband told him loudly to look at the HUNDREDS of people waiting in the line and get some more people out here to clear us through!!!

He was put in the naughty chair right up front where everyone had to walk past him. They got several pepole to open up more kiosks before they had an outright riot on their hands. They probably thought he was humiliated sitting there, but 8 out of 10 people walking by him thanked him. One lady went up to the office door and had another chat with the 5' nothiing guy.

I was scared we were going to get thrown right back on a plane to the US. I was NOT happy about the incident.

So, it's not just the US, folks. The news report that night said officials were addressing the delays because it was causing so many problems. HA!!

There must be a CBP agent that would be willing to join you on the TA!

I have been on numerous cruises in Europe where this happens.

Having an immigration official from one European country travel to another European country to join a European sailing for a day or so is not exactly comparable to having American immigration officials fly over to Europe to join a transatlantic crossing and be on a ship for a week sailing back to the United States. Let's be realistic here.

Having an immigration official from one European country travel to another European country to join a European sailing for a day or so is not exactly comparable to having American immigration officials fly over to Europe to join a transatlantic crossing and be on a ship for a week sailing back to the United States. Let's be realistic here.

On my Eastbound TA to Southampton, the UK customs officer boarded in St. Maarten, and stayed on ship till we reached the UK 9 sea days later. This was 2013 Spring, with no stop in the Azores. So it is in fact done, at least by other countries. The UK officer had to get to St. Maarten somehow....assume a flight was involved.

This year, they boarded in the Azores, again had to have had a flight.

.... I snapped a photo on my phone and sent it to the TSA, Southwest and my congressman. One of the photos I took showed a bunch of TSA agents standing around doing nothing while we waited in lines, and only only scanner open. A total waste of time and people.

I plan to keep my phone handy the next few trips, and if the lines are like that again, y congressman will be getting more photos and letters. I encourage my fellow US citizens to do the same.....

The cynic in me says that the effect this will have will be to see security agents and staff taken off the desks to put up signs telling people "photography not allowed" and using staff to enforce that rule!

The cynic in me says that the effect this will have will be to see security agents and staff taken off the desks to put up signs telling people "photography not allowed" and using staff to enforce that rule!

I agre, and in fact actually think those signs already exist in many if not all TSA security spaces. they Certainly exist in customs and immigration areas. They are even up in the pre screen area at the Bayonne Port as you line up for the x ray machines.

On my Eastbound TA to Southampton, the UK customs officer boarded in St. Maarten, and stayed on ship till we reached the UK 9 sea days later. This was 2013 Spring, with no stop in the Azores. So it is in fact done, at least by other countries. The UK officer had to get to St. Maarten somehow....assume a flight was involved.

Well, good for the UK. Imagine what the American press would do with stories about American CBP agents getting to take transatlantic cruises so that a relatively small group of citizens and visitors (many far more affluent than the average American) will have a shorter waiting time when they disembark.

Much more realistic to ask for better staffing at the disembarkation ports.

Well, good for the UK. Imagine what the American press would do with stories about American CBP agents getting to take transatlantic cruises so that a relatively small group of citizens and visitors (many far more affluent than the average American) will have a shorter waiting time when they disembark.

Much more realistic to ask for better staffing at the disembarkation ports.

On the flip side, 1 officer on the ship can do the work of a dozen officers at a port, in that there are several days to clear everyone. And certainly CBP staff on official business get favorable "interline" airfare too, maybe even free if space available. And I bet the cruise line would provide the cruise free of charge as well.

On the Australia to New Zealand cruises the New Zealand agents (3 of them) board at the last Australia stop and do the checks on board (the passengers are scheduled in blocks to show up in the theater. All finished prior to arrival. Got a chance to talk with one of the agents. She said that it was done on a rotating basis and they only got to do it once each year. It was a highly desired assignment.

There are already signs saying photographs and video is not allowed and that your phones are subject to being confiscated if you use them.

Edited by RDC1

One of the TA's last fall stopped in the Bahamas before getting to the US (or maybe it was Bermuda?) US Customs officers did board there to do clearances enroute.

However they did not bring their computers and equipment, and many of those international guests on board who had done the Electronic Travel Authorizations on line before leaving home, assumed it was all electronic, and did not print out any proof and it caused a bunch of problems.

, and many of those international guests on board who had done the Electronic Travel Authorizations on line before leaving home, assumed it was all electronic, and did not print out any proof and it caused a bunch of problems.

Probably because they followed the Department of Homeland Securities advice

Do travelers need to bring a paper printout of their travel authorization to the airport?

No. DHS will be able to communicate a traveler's ESTA status to the carriers.

Probably because they followed the Department of Homeland Securities advice

Do travelers need to bring a paper printout of their travel authorization to the airport?

No. DHS will be able to communicate a traveler's ESTA status to the carriers.

Absolutely. Having completed the ESTA online ( and paid for it ) there isnt anything to suggest you need paperwork to prove you have done it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Australia to New Zealand cruises the New Zealand agents (3 of them) board at the last Australia stop and do the checks on board (the passengers are scheduled in blocks to show up in the theater. All finished prior to arrival. Got a chance to talk with one of the agents. She said that it was done on a rotating basis and they only got to do it once each year. It was a highly desired assignment.

Works the same with Australian officials in the opposite direction too and we had the same arrangement when we cruised into China from Korea. It's a far more efficient way of doing things and if the cruiseline pays for it then everyone wins.

After talking to some of the passengers who had low group numbers, it turns out that immigration did not have all the booths staffed initially. In fact, someone in group 5 (who stood in line in the cold terminal for two hours), said it appeared that less than half the booths were staffed. That seems likely, given that it took 3 1/2 hours to get through group 6, and we in group 35 were off the ship and through immigration an hour and a half later, with all immigration booths staffed. So the customs officer who told me I had waited so long because our ship was so big was likely stretching the truth!

After talking to some of the passengers who had low group numbers, it turns out that immigration did not have all the booths staffed initially. In fact, someone in group 5 (who stood in line in the cold terminal for two hours), said it appeared that less than half the booths were staffed. That seems likely, given that it took 3 1/2 hours to get through group 6, and we in group 35 were off the ship and through immigration an hour and a half later, with all immigration booths staffed. So the customs officer who told me I had waited so long because our ship was so big was likely stretching the truth!

So bottom line, what time were PAX allowed to start reboarding the ship?

Edited by cle-guy

Just think, if you had walked across the border from Mexico (illegally) you would not have had any delays, would have been given a new drivers license, welfare, Obamacare, reduced tuition (of zero tuition) at NYU (this was in the news yesterday), etc. But seriously, we have never understood why our US CBP creates such hassles for arriving cruise ships when they have been provided with advance lists (including all Passport data) several days in advance.

Having suffered from quite a few US Immigration fiascos, we really emphasize with the OP and all the other passengers on that cruise.

In interests of full disclosure we recently (yesterday) arrive at LAX after a long flight from Auckland, NZ. It took us less then 10 minutes to clear immigration!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just think, if you had walked across the border from Mexico (illegally) you would not have had any delays, would have been given a new drivers license, welfare, Obamacare, reduced tuition (of zero tuition) at NYU (this was in the news yesterday), etc. But seriously, we have never understood why our US CBP creates such hassles for arriving cruise ships when they have been provided with advance lists (including all Passport data) several days in advance.

Having suffered from quite a few US Immigration fiascos, we really emphasize with the OP and all the other passengers on that cruise.

In interests of full disclosure we recently (yesterday) arrive at LAX after a long flight from Auckland, NZ. It took us less then 10 minutes to clear immigration!

Hank

It only took us about 20 minutes to clear immigration in Heathrow (non-EU passports) on our flight over, and our luggage was waiting for us when we got through.

After all crew were cleared, all passengers exited the ship and passed through immigration and the ship was zeroed out, it was about 3:30, and then there was a few minutes' more delay so I believe that we were back on board before 4 that afternoon.

I have today cancelled next year's Eclipse TA. I may do a westbound TA, but it won't be on Eclipse. The double immigration, coupled with the northern route, is enough to put me off.