Sea Princess still in Dunedin tonight 19 Nov

From the bridge and port cams looks like Sea Princess is overnighting in Dunedin. The port schedule has her now leaving at 5am tomorrow and Marine Traffic is showing next destination as Brisbane. Looks like they are missing out on Fiordland .

From the bridge and port cams looks like Sea Princess is overnighting in Dunedin. The port schedule has her now leaving at 5am tomorrow and Marine Traffic is showing next destination as Brisbane. Looks like they are missing out on Fiordland .

Rough seas impacting Sea Princess itinerary, David?

You mob had a nice little shake this week, 6.7 near Gisborne.

Hope our Kiwi mates are all well.

Edited by NSWP

A friend who has friends on the Sea Princess posted this on my Facebook wall tonight:

Hey Stu just heard Sea Princess staying overnight Dunedin heading back to Brisbane tomorrow via Nth and Sth Islands ... too rough to venture Southwards so no Sounds viewing for this lot

According to Marine Traffic AIS , they have headed up the East Coast of the South Island and are off Akaroa as I post. If they have good weather they could do some whale watching as they sail past Kaikoura this afternoon.:)

missing the Fjiordlands seems to be happening a lot lately, must be the time of year.:D

My friend visited the fjords this month on Celebrity's Solstice.

I wonder whether the design of the ship has any effect on whether the ship can make the fjords or whether it is solely the weather at the time.

A person from the Falkland Islands recently said that ships with names ending in "dam" have a higher chance of missing The Falklands than other ships.

Edited by MMDown Under

My friend visited the fjords this month on Celebrity's Solstice.

I wonder whether the design of the ship has any effect on whether the ship can make the fjords or whether it is solely the weather at the time.

A person from the Falkland Islands recently said that ships with names ending in "dam" have a higher chance of missing The Falklands than other ships.

Having been there, the weather is very unpredictable and the harbour makes it difficult for ships. However, you may be right in that certain ships 9hull design) make them more prone to these type weather events causing havoc.

missing the Fjiordlands seems to be happening a lot lately, must be the time of year.:D

Indeed Mic, the time of the year we copped the 12 metre seas off NZ South Island on ye olde Regal Princesss in 2007, LA to Steak and Kidney.

Having been there, the weather is very unpredictable and the harbour makes it difficult for ships. However, you may be right in that certain ships 9hull design) make them more prone to these type weather events causing havoc.

It seems like its a bit of a lottery

Right now we have the Sea Princess (88t) heading back to Brisbane via Cook Straight

Meantime the Celebrity Solstice (122t) heading south to Dunedin and no doubt will be doing the Fjords run later.

The Crystal Symphony (51t) is already on its way ex Dunedin and will be trans versing past Invercargill overnight and then to the Fjords tomorrow.

Dusky and Doubtful Sounds can be ok... but for Milford the ships require a pilot... and that is part of the problem...if the seas are too rough the pilot cannot board, and therefore the ship cannot enter Milford Sound.

We have done the NZ cruise 3 times (and doing No. 4 next month) and we have been lucky with the Fjords each time. For the sake of our fellow passengers at least , I hope we will be ok this time.

cheers