Star Clipper - Experienced Input Requested

Lazy K

Thank you for all the good tips, Robbie 21. I just bought an iPod to download the RS museum and city walks. They come highly recommended by a friend in Greece as well. We like to do a lot of things on our own in ports so these should work well for us. I have also made a list of sights that we can but tickets in advance for. I have been to Rome before and the advance purchase of tickets for several attractions was really a good plan.

We still have lots of research to do, and I agree that it is part of the fun of travel as well as adding greatly to the experience.

We are going to have a hard time waiting for October. We are really looking forward to this trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Returned last week from Caribbean week on Star Clipper. Have done 16 cruises never felt hungry before & first time writing to owner with complaint.In answer to your specific questions.1 seas vary weather changes nothing you can do about that-2 depends on seas/weather. 3 DO NOT go if a vegetarian because I am & disgusted with offerings or lack of!Told by hotel manager "this is not a speciality restaurant" all soups made with meat stock ,all starters contained meat/fish even salads.You will be offered sorbet(frozen water) & some tiny egg/cheese main course small enough to sit in the palm of your hand with no vegetable sides & dont bother asking for a jacket potato because the answer is NO.I spoke to the 'chef' who had no idea what to offer a vegetarian so I suggested tofu if he had which is what I got for lunch & dinner every meal, once got white rice & beans, baby portion. Lentils which looked as if poured directly out of a tin-alone on plate again no vegetables. Strange as the meat eaters had all sorts with their mains. The Captains Dinner I was offered sorbet, yellowing lettuce & tiny mushroom quiche. Up at 6am for fresh bread from the coffee shop before Breakfast at 7.30 or 8am is good fresh fruit, cheese eggs again! cereals & breads. Not only boring eating breakfast 3 times a day but insulting & lazy catering staff.Afternoon snack also meat based.4 mostly on time but anchor in bays & have to tender into ports so short days, as leave early afternoons. 5 Older fit boating crowd didnt see any children. 6 overnighters anchored in bay or travelling. Commardore deck Very noisey from engines,bilges,propelers,vents like travelling in a washing machine-ear plugs hardly make a difference.Also have to climb steps into some beds. I tried to sleep outside on deck as only quiet place but staff not keen. Drink a lot to sleep seems to be the answer for some. Very expensive- very uncomfortable -never again. Hope this helps-the sailing bit was interesting & Peter the cruise director worked hard & published daily info & gave talks.

Kewgardens,

So sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. My sister and I are on the Royal in Europe in the fall. Everyone who has replied to my query, until now, seems to have really enjoyed their Clipper cruise experience. We are really looking forward to our adventure!

Done several voyages in the Caribbean aboard both the Royal Clipper and the Star Clipper - also did a voyage aboard the Royal out of Rome for Venice. Never had anything but a wonderful time. Spending three weeks aboard the Star in July bouncing around Greece and Turkey - expect to have another great adventure.

Sorry that your cruise didn't meet your expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have done several trips on the Royal Clipper, Star Clipper and the Star Flyer in the Caribbean and the Med. Food selection always quite extensive and good quality. Overall I estimate that we have travelled with more than 2,000 fellow passengers and the extent of the adverse comments about the food posted on the 28th January is a "first". Depending on the location of your cabin there can be a bit more engine noise on the Star Clipper than on the Royal Clipper. I understand that the Royal Clipper, when built, came in ahead of spec. for noise - i.e. it is quieter than expected. It may be that the Cruise Director Peter referred to is Peter K. - he is a legend among many Clipper passengers including for his knowledge. On my stats. it looks as if a Clipper holiday for one in a thousand passengers is the wrong choice. Sorry it did not work for K - we have seen quite a few of the other types of tears - joy and positive emotion!

Sorry to hear Kew Gardens unhappy, though nearly all his complaints are about the food. We love the Clippers but they are working sailing ships, not motor boats or cruise liners, that's why we love them! Food for us carnivores excellent, and plentiful. Early pastries then breakfast, a full cooked lunch, afternoon snacks at 5pm, dinner and midnight snacks if anyone can still do up their trousers! Fruit always available and tea and coffee in the piano bar.

The kitchen is tiny, nothing like a normal familys kitchen, let alone a cruise ships facilities. they feed up to 170 people plus 70 crew each sitting. If you are a vegetarian who eats fish you will be fine. Otherwise, yes it will be boring, that's why most of us are not vegetarian. They cannot prepare special food for one or two people, they do not have the space.

Noise is missing further forward, and on higher decks. Its a small ship, it sails, its noisy! If you pay for a cat 1,2 or 3 cabin you will be fine, no steps. They are just in the cheaper, noisier cat 5 and 6.