Table for two with obnoxious neighbor

hasbro

Just got off Ruby Princess on Saturday. We always requested a table for two at the anytime dining. The first night we were seated in one of the long rows of tables for two where each table is only a few inches from the next one. Seated next to us was a couple from Florida. The lady really wouldn't leave us alone, asking us everything from what type of bread was in our bread basket to what type of stateroom we were staying in. We did our best to give only very short answers and tried very hard not to make any eye contact with her.

On subsequent nights we were seated in the same area, but not next to her. She and her husband were always at the same table. We watched as she annoyed every diner who had the bad luck of being seated next to her. We noticed that several of the diners ate quickly and left. May I add that this is the same lady who badgered the comedian from her front row seat in The Explorer's Lounge.

I guess my question is, why would a person like this eat at a table for two?

We had a similar experience on one of our cruises. When we finished our meal, I asked spoke to the Maitre D and asked to be moved to a table for two away from other tables if possible for the rest of our cruise. I described our reason and he very kindly accommodated us.

On subsequent cruises, I have made it a point to speak to the Maitre D on embarkation day to request this type of arrangement and have been placed in much better locations.

People like her may not realize how annoying they are. It spoils the dining experience for those of us who prefer a quiet meal.

Happy cruising.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Poor lady..should have had a larger table! Some folks like to be friendly....but don't always know what other's limits are....be gracious. So far, we've NEVER had a table mate (or close by person) that we couldn't stand for 1 hour or so....loosen up! It's not usually the "obnoxious" person...it's usually the complainer that has the problem!

Edited by cb at sea

Just got off Ruby Princess on Saturday. We always requested a table for two at the anytime dining. The first night we were seated in one of the long rows of tables for two where each table is only a few inches from the next one. Seated next to us was a couple from Florida. The lady really wouldn't leave us alone...

Here's my theory. She has grown tired of being seated at tables of 8 and have her tablemates "drop out" of the group two at a time, night after night. So she just cuts to the chase and starts out at a two top.

So far, we've NEVER had a table mate (or close by person) that we couldn't stand for 1 hour or so....loosen up! It's not usually the "obnoxious" person...it's usually the complainer that has the problem!

I don't think the OP has a problem or needs to loosen up at all. That is an uncomfortable hour or two that they'll never get back. Why should they have to tolerate an inconsiderate person interrupting their dinner? I have no problem with a gracious exchange of hellos/have a nice evening but we don't request (and sometimes have to wait) for a table for two only to have someone intrude on our dinner.

Here's my theory. She has grown tired of being seated at tables of 8 and have her tablemates "drop out" of the group two at a time, night after night. So she just cuts to the chase and starts out at a two top.

Hahahahaha! That's probably it. Maybe she doesn't ask for the table for two but her husband does. There are people like that---no boundaries--everywhere, but apparently they turn up on cruises too often.

Princess really needs to do something to get rid of those awful two-tops. That is the real problem here.

I realize Princess puts them close together to maximize capacity, but I think they should place thin divider screens between the tables, even if they have to "lose" a few tables in the process.

We actually like them. We have never had the misfortune to sit next to anyone quite as awful as OP describes, and have met a number of interesting people this way. It's better than a shared large table because that little gap gives you the ability to have your privacy if you want it, or to "break the fourth wall" as they say in the theater and engage with your neighbors. But there should be some private two-tops for those who are really looking for complete privacy.

Just got off Ruby Princess on Saturday. We always requested a table for two at the anytime dining. The first night we were seated in one of the long rows of tables for two where each table is only a few inches from the next one. Seated next to us was a couple from Florida. The lady really wouldn't leave us alone, asking us everything from what type of bread was in our bread basket to what type of stateroom we were staying in. We did our best to give only very short answers and tried very hard not to make any eye contact with her.

On subsequent nights we were seated in the same area, but not next to her. She and her husband were always at the same table. We watched as she annoyed every diner who had the bad luck of being seated next to her. We noticed that several of the diners ate quickly and left. May I add that this is the same lady who badgered the comedian from her front row seat in The Explorer's Lounge.

hasbro,

Your answer may lie within. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2126379

DW and I have met a lot of very nice, interesting people, as well as unbelievably rude pretentious "full of themselves", obnoxious people on the few cruises we've been on. But then again, it's like that everywhere you go. We try to ignore those kind of obnoxious people. :)

Regards and safe travels,

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We actually like them. We have never had the misfortune to sit next to anyone quite as awful as OP describes, and have met a number of interesting people this way. It's better than a shared large table because that little gap gives you the ability to have your privacy if you want it, or to "break the fourth wall" as they say in the theater and engage with your neighbors. But there should be some private two-tops for those who are really looking for complete privacy.

Since we have not had any bad experience with the tables. I agree.

We had one of the great tables for two--separated from other tables--on our last Crown Princess cruise. We wanted a larger table, however, and were able to move to a table for eight after the first night. The maitre d' seemed happy that we wanted to switch. Someone like the OP must have been requesting a private table for two.

Since then, we haven't been assigned to a table for two again. We have eaten at them at breakfast and lunch. For that short period of time, it's OK if someone wants to be a little bit chatty. We usually request a table for two for breakfast and lunch when we are trying to eat quicker. It cuts down on the time it takes since the waiters don't have to wait for others to finish a course that we did not order.

Im a long time cruiser and im always amazed at folks who sit alone. I've seen a solo cruiser request a table for one. Honeymooners-maybe. Its a cruise ship with 4,000 people. Part of the fun is meeting new people. This is IMHO.

If you dont want people to talk to you, cruising seems a bad choice.

To the lady with all the questions:D. Hope im next to you on one of my next cruises, talk and ask all you want :)

Why does it matter that she is from Florida?

Something to consider... perhaps the woman was not aware that she was constantly talking to those at the next table.

It may have been a sign of early dementia or a similar problem. Her husband may be aware of this behavior , but can do little to control it. He may have been uncomfortable too.

I think the OP probably did the best they could in answering the questions, then they asked to be given a table at another location with an explanation to the Maitre D. that was a good way to handle the situation.

We never know what may be afflicting someone.

The idea is to be gracious in a situation and then try to avoid the same situation from happening to us again.

How old were they? We found that on cruises especially with women 70+ (generalization, I know) they can be very, very chatty. Some comments ok, some not. :eek: We just nod, and go about our business. We try not to let obnoxious and rude people impact our enjoyment of the cruise.

Regards, and safe travels.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Something to consider... perhaps the woman was not aware that she was constantly talking to those at the next table.

It may have been a sign of early dementia or a similar problem. Her husband may be aware of this behavior , but can do little to control it. He may have been uncomfortable too.

I think the OP probably did the best they could in answering the questions, then they asked to be given a table at another location with an explanation to the Maitre D. that was a good way to handle the situation.

We never know what may be afflicting someone.

The idea is to be gracious in a situation and then try to avoid the same situation from happening to us again.

I agree with MJ's comments. Always, always be gracious. You have options. And if you live long enough you just may end up being old and slightly demented. It's almost guaranteed.

If you and your husband were having a conversation and she interupted, I see no harm in saying politely, "We would like to have a private dinner tonight." I wouldn't say it on the first night, maybe not the second,,,, but after that I'd place some polite boundaries around "our time" together. I am careful to nod and say hello to our close nighbors, but then join in conversation with DH. We always have things to talk about...and certainly don't want to include others in personal discussions.

What did the husband say to her if anything? That's when a kick under the the table works to get your spouse's attention.:D

A person doesn't have to be old or "demented" to be talkative. Quite a leap.

Edited by eandj

It must be the Ruby. We got off her on the 15th. We always do 2 tops to avoid those overtalkers. We got seated in a row of 2tops and got seated next to great grandma with perfume from her high school graduation. I asked the Maitre'D to be moved immediately. LOL He said he knew why I was coming to talk with him. Guess I wasn't the first. That was it for the cruise. We never went back to the MDR. No need to wonder if I can breathe during dinner. I'll happily go to the HC.

Im a long time cruiser and im always amazed at folks who sit alone. I've seen a solo cruiser request a table for one. Honeymooners-maybe. Its a cruise ship with 4,000 people. Part of the fun is meeting new people. This is IMHO.

To the lady with all the questions:D. Hope im next to you on one of my next cruises, talk and ask all you want :)

There are many valid reasons for choosing to dine alone. We enjoy cruising a lot, but never really liked sharing a large table with strangers. For us, two main reasons come to mind for enjoying a table for two. First, we don't like long dinners and service at a large table is inevitability slower. At a table for two we are usually in and out in an hour. Second, we only eat in the MDR about half of the nights and often decide at the last minute...with traditional dining we felt awkward not showing up for so many nights.

Well...as someone who does travel solo fairly often - I do occasionally ask for a table for one - but it isn't to be anti-social! It's just that sometimes you get really tired of being asked the same "stupid" questions about why anyone in their "right" mind would want to travel alone. I say, don't knock it 'til you tried it!:)

Or, you get stuck at a table with 5 members of one family who clearly do not want you at their table and proceed to hold an obviously private conversation amongst themselves. Yeah...that's a nice cruise experience! Not!

Or, it might even be, that I'm comfortable travelling on my own and actually enjoy my own company after a full day of visiting, meeting new people, etc and want a quiet served, sit-down meal in the dining room like everyone else!

I'm not saying that it's all bad, thankfully most of the time you do meet fantastic people and have great conversations, but at least I have the option to choose the size of table I would like just like everyone else.

and btw...I would happily engage with you if you were sitting at the next table!

Well...as someone who does travel solo fairly often - I do occasionally ask for a table for one - but it isn't to be anti-social! It's just that sometimes you get really tired of being asked the same "stupid" questions about why anyone in their "right" mind would want to travel alone. I say, don't knock it 'til you tried it!:)

Or, you get stuck at a table with 5 members of one family who clearly do not want you at their table and proceed to hold an obviously private conversation amongst themselves. Yeah...that's a nice cruise experience! Not!

Or, it might even be, that I'm comfortable travelling on my own and actually enjoy my own company after a full day of visiting, meeting new people, etc and want a quiet served, sit-down meal in the dining room like everyone else!

I'm not saying that it's all bad, thankfully most of the time you do meet fantastic people and have great conversations, but at least I have the option to choose the size of table I would like just like everyone else.

and btw...I would happily engage with you if you were sitting at the next table!

As a fellow solo traveller, I couldn't agree more! Great post!