Crazy cabin upgrade question

Dave4120

Hello...My wife and I have been cruising since 1997 and, have never received an upgrade. Let me be clear, that we have never been concerned about an upgrade, nor care if we ever get one. However, because of an unusual price difference, I thought I would ask the question as to whether or not our situation is ever part of any equation upgrade.

We have a Junior suite booked for April on the Grandeur. We got an unheard of price of just $1200 each that includes all taxes and port charges, plus, $250 OBC.

This same Junior Suite category today is $5,902 for two versus our $2,400.

If we paid for our trip in full now, before the due date when many make their final payment, is it at all possible that RCL would consider moving us up a category since many people might not book a GS, there by freeing up our Junior Suite for someone who might be more apt to book a Junior Suite? That way they get $5,902 out of them for the Junior Suite versus the great price of $2,400 from us?

Thanks for any comments.

Dave

I doubt that your upgrade chances are enhanced by paying off the cruise early. To my knowledge, both the Revenue and C&A upgrades occur in the last few weeks before the sailing, long after final payment date.

Thanks for your input. Even though I was wondering if our chances were better if we paid off the cruise early, I was wondering more about RCCL making $3,500 more on our JS cabin by upgrading us to a GS.

I thought more people might want a JS cabin versus a GS cabin because of price, and, thought because of the very high GS price, RCCL might end up with more of those cabins not filled that a JS. Thus, move us up to a GS that might not get filled anyway, and sell our JS for $2,500 more than what we paid.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your input. Even though I was wondering if our chances were better if we paid off the cruise early, I was wondering more about RCCL making $3,500 more on our JS cabin by upgrading us to a GS.

I thought more people might want a JS cabin versus a GS cabin because of price, and, thought because of the very high GS price, RCCL might end up with more of those cabins not filled that a JS. Thus, move us up to a GS that might not get filled anyway, and sell our JS for $2,500 more than what we paid.

Thanks again.

What you have described is what the Revenue Department does a few weeks before the cruise.

Another more likely scenario is that the GS will come down in price and if it's a little over what you paid for your JS, you could do a paid upgrade. Keep watching the prices. This is probably more likely than a free upgrade.

About 70 cruises. 1 Upgrade. Maybe I'm just jaded.

The only way we have gotten a higher category cabin is by an "Upsell"

Where we were contacted the week before the cruise by C & A department and offerred the next level up for a couple hundred bucks.

We have taken the offer twice on Allure and went from a GS to a CL2, then a CL 1 on another cruise. For us it was awesome!!!!

Will do it again.............but right now we have one of the new GS booked on the Oasis, and I really dont know if I want to or not move up.........

Waiting for the reviews on these suites.

Sea Ya

I would be more than happy to take an up sell if the the additional price wasn't too high. I assume if a GS becomes available, and, the price is reasonable, we just pay the difference from what we've already paid for our JS??

Thanks

Dave

We will be Diamond Plus after this cruise and don't expect to ever receive an upgrade. After 30 cruises, we just enjoy the cruises and are thankful we are fortunate to go once or twice a year.

So, I'm not dwelling about this and it's not an issue. However, I was just a bit curious because of the major price difference between what we paid for a JS compared to what it has been over the past month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife and I are Diamond Plus and have NEVER received an upgrade. I doubt they ever happen, just fiction we believe.

We've had two upgrades, but none since I opted to have them call me before giving us an upgrade. The two upgrades we got were automatic, no calls.

We're 8 days out from cruising and are currently booked in a JS. Still quite a few GS, OS, RFS, PFS available. No price drop yet. The cost to upgrade to an OS is $750 pp. To high for us to even consider. Been watching the prices but no price reduction yet. Hoping that there is one soon. TA has called RC several times to see if they will take an upsell but they won't as of yet.