Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

I would imagine if the owner is misbehaving, then the company has the right (and responsibility) to see that the person leaves the ship. I don't know if the dog is allowed a choice whether to stay and finish out the cruise or leave with its master.

Trish

I would imagine if the owner is misbehaving, then the company has the right (and responsibility) to see that the person leaves the ship. I don't know if the dog is allowed a choice whether to stay and finish out the cruise or leave with its master.

Trish

You are correct! Even under ADA rules HAL has the right & yes the responsibility to other passengers & crew to put both the Handler & the dog off the ship if either one is misbehaving.. Unfortunately, the dog must also be put off the ship as he/she must always be under control of the Handler..

Our Therapy Dog group also has rules which must be adhered to.. We had a Handler who permitted his large dog to jump on a person & when the Handler was corrected he made a scene in the Hospital corridor in a very loud & threatening voice.. They were asked to leave the Hospital & not return..

Edited by serendipity1499

The original poster provided more details yesterday.

"Nonce again, the dog is only an issue because of the owner. We have sailed with ADA dogs before, but the dog did not sit in a chair in the Lido, did not poop all over the ship, did not sit on a stool in the Crows nest, did not walk on an extended leash so other guests could trip, was not babysat at the front desk, did not bark in the theater, Queens Lounge, or at people who walked by and lunge at others. The dog is small and cute, but as I have said before, HAL needs to figure out how to handle the situation, when the owner breaks all the rules and upsets many passengers."

The ship is in Hilo today - good place to offload the owner...as well as the dog.

Edited by Windsailer

"Nonce again, the dog is only an issue because of the owner. We have sailed with ADA dogs before, but the dog did not sit in a chair in the Lido, did not poop all over the ship, did not sit on a stool in the Crows nest, did not walk on an extended leash so other guests could trip, was not babysat at the front desk, did not bark in the theater, Queens Lounge, or at people who walked by and lunge at others. The dog is small and cute, but as I have said before, HAL needs to figure out how to handle the situation, when the owner breaks all the rules and upsets many passengers."

The ship is in Hilo today - good place to offload the owner...as well as the dog.

Personally, I think extended leashes are a curse. I've never used one with my dogs, but in my neighbourhood you really have to watch out for them. I think they are an excuse to turn your head while your pooch goes off and poops on someone's lawn. Those leashes do not keep an animal under control at all.

And to sapper1 - thanks for the Saturday morning giggle.:D

Personally, I think extended leashes are a curse. I've never used one with my dogs, but in my neighbourhood you really have to watch out for them. I think they are an excuse to turn your head while your pooch goes off and poops on someone's lawn. Those leashes do not keep an animal under control at all.

And to sapper1 - thanks for the Saturday morning giggle.:D

Agreed on the extended leashes. The only time I will use one is when I am training a recall or sit/stay and want pup a distance from me. They are dangerous.... you can easily lose a finger if you are not careful and they get caught in things. That in itself indicates this is no service animal.

Susan

I think doggie would have to go into quarantine in Hilo.... maybe a good thing.

Agreed on the extended leashes. The only time I will use one is when I am training a recall or sit/stay and want pup a distance from me. They are dangerous.... you can easily lose a finger if you are not careful and they get caught in things. That in itself indicates this is no service animal.

Susan

I think doggie would have to go into quarantine in Hilo.... maybe a good thing.

Agree on the extended leashes too. You have no control with them at all and they can snap and you can lose a dog.

As to quarantine, IF I was travelling with my dogs (IF), I would have checked out the rules well in advance and had my clearances.

I think the owner is at fault here and the dog is getting the blame.

If it was a service dog, it has been ruined. I honestly don't see the need to have it if you are not taking it ashore. If the owner has the support ashore, they have it on board.

Just call me mean today. I hate seeing dogs get the blame for bad owners and all the signs point to that. Sad.

For those that are Caesar Milan fans, Discipline, Control and Love and I believe it is true. Dogs look for guidance from the pack leader. If you are not one, they will take over - somebody has to do the job:rolleyes:

I'm curious where this cruise went. It has been mentioned that it was a long voyage. We have friends who are currently at the end of a long voyage and due back soon. Wondered if it was the same ship. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the ship they were sailing on. I'm hoping it's the same one so that I can hear stories when they return.

The m/s Amsterdam is on a 78 Day Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage from Seattle to San Diego (with stops in Asia, Australia, and the South Pacific).

The cruise appears to have started September 21 and is ending December 8.

Thanks. That's what I thought. We have friends who will have been on for the whole 78 days. When they get back I can get the whole story.

It's only funny if you weren't on the plane but I am still laughing. My eyes are watering.

Oh my Sapper.. This takes the cake! I too am laughing..:D:D:D

Agree on the extended leashes too. You have no control with them at all and they can snap and you can lose a dog.

As to quarantine, IF I was travelling with my dogs (IF), I would have checked out the rules well in advance and had my clearances.

I think the owner is at fault here and the dog is getting the blame.

If it was a service dog, it has been ruined. I honestly don't see the need to have it if you are not taking it ashore. If the owner has the support ashore, they have it on board.

Just call me mean today. I hate seeing dogs get the blame for bad owners and all the signs point to that. Sad.

For those that are Caesar Milan fans, Discipline, Control and Love and I believe it is true. Dogs look for guidance from the pack leader. If you are not one, they will take over - somebody has to do the job:rolleyes:

So agree with you Jackqui! Therapy Dogs do not permit those leashes.. I had a neighbor who was walking her dog one day with one of those leashes.. The dog was a lovely dog but much larger than Brandy..She wanted to play with Brandy who was still a Puppy.. They walked up our driveway, Brandy got frightened & went behind me.. Before I knew it both dogs & leashes were wrapped around my bare legs.. The other dogs leash ripped around my legs so hard they started to bleed.. I had scars for a long time..

We have to be in complete control of our dogs at all times.. I am Brandy's pack leader & she follows me around from room to room when we are home..

How is "Kazu's" ligament doing...Hope he's getting better & will be in perfect shape very soon..

Betty

Oh my Sapper.. This takes the cake! I too am laughing..:D:D:D

So agree with you Jackqui! Therapy Dogs do not permit those leashes.. I had a neighbor who was walking her dog one day with one of those leashes.. The dog was a lovely dog but much larger than Brandy..She wanted to play with Brandy who was still a Puppy.. They walked up our driveway, Brandy got frightened & went behind me.. Before I knew it both dogs & leashes were wrapped around my bare legs.. The other dogs leash ripped around my legs so hard they started to bleed.. I had scars for a long time..

We have to be in complete control of our dogs at all times.. I am Brandy's pack leader & she follows me around from room to room when we are home..

How is "Kazu's" ligament doing...Hope he's getting better & will be in perfect shape very soon..

Betty

thanks for asking Betty - Kazu's crucia is slowly coming along. It's very slow and he's old. I have the joy of more exercises and now massage.

but we are blessed with a good vet who has all the facilities including rehab.

Kazu might be old but he has always been a charmer. Give the command and he does it. He raised a lot of money for the SPCA - bless his heart. and he loved going. I just told him we were going to school and he was in full obedience mode )

sorry for the thread drift.

TV

You are correct! Even under ADA rules HAL has the right & yes the responsibility to other passengers & crew to put both the Handler & the dog off the ship if either one is misbehaving.. Unfortunately, the dog must also be put off the ship as he/she must always be under control of the Handler..

Our Therapy Dog group also has rules which must be adhered to.. We had a Handler who permitted his large dog to jump on a person & when the Handler was corrected he made a scene in the Hospital corridor in a very loud & threatening voice.. They were asked to leave the Hospital & not return..

I've been following this thread with interest due to our encounter, on HAL, with a "service dog" a couple of years ago ... The dog owner referred to her little fur ball as her anxiety savior, she dressed it in various outfits throughout the day (dresses, skirts and tops, tutus, etc), perched it on barstools to drool on the bar, sometimes she had the dog on a leash and sometimes she drove the dog around in a wheeled case and often permitted it to run loose in the hallways and on and off the elevators.

I called the front desk to complain about this behavior which was so contrary to anything we ever understood about service animals. The response: the passenger could not have brought the dog onboard without the proper paperwork ... He completely missed the point of my objections, but he agreed to talk to her ... her compliance with HAL policies lasted less than half a day, and the little rat dog was again off leash etc.

When we got home I phoned the Access to Excellence department ... The guy was very understanding, said the people in his department were well aware of abuse of the whole service dog policy ... but no one else at HAL headquarters believed them when they tried to escalate their abuse concerns up the food chain. Would I mind airing my issue with, I think it was Guest Relations? I described what we had witnessed and how we tried to address it onboard to no avail.

In the end, I received a snail mail from the Office of the President (likely Christine Ferris) that pretty much said that it was too bad I did not understand the roll of service animals. Seems to me I wrote back and told her I understood the roll of service animals, but it was too bad she did not understand nor address my concerns.

So, unless the dog bites someone and/or creates a situation that causes litigation, HAL will not handle these situations in a forceful manner, they will not put people and their "service animals" off the ship ... they would rather hack off the rest of us than have an ADA complaint and the attendant media attention. Very sad in many ways.

Edited by pms4104

Thanks for forwarding this story. I never heard of a pig as a service animal. What next - a giraffe, a snake, a turtle? Has the world gone completely nuts? Don't answer; these are rhetorical questions.

I am so glad to see this subject being aired. We were on the Amsterdam for 31 days from Seattle (9/21) to Hong Kong (10/23/2014).

I can confirm that the problem existed. It was not a problem dog, but a problem woman. She pushed her cute little dog around onboard in the wheelchair. It seemed to be a pet, although we heard that itwas supposed to warn her if her blood pressure got too high. We heard no barking and saw no dog poop.

We shared a tour lunch table with the woman and her husband and three other couples. Her opinions were strong, and he was mostly silent. She had a reputation onboard for being demanding and difficult.

I felt that the woman was a fraud. After we returned home, I did complain to HAL for putting staff and crew in such a situation. I received a polite reply.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

I am so glad to see this subject being aired. We were on the Amsterdam for 31 days from Seattle (9/21) to Hong Kong (10/23/2014).

I can confirm that the problem existed. It was not a problem dog, but a problem woman. She pushed her cute little dog around onboard in the wheelchair. It seemed to be a pet, although we heard that itwas supposed to warn her if her blood pressure got too high.

Barbara

In this day when accurate blood pressure monitors are inexpensive, small and light? Gee wiz:confused:

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Posted by bummin:

"I am so glad to see this subject being aired. We were on the Amsterdam for 31 days from Seattle (9/21) to Hong Kong (10/23/2014).

I can confirm that the problem existed. It was not a problem dog, but a problem woman. She pushed her cute little dog around onboard in the wheelchair. It seemed to be a pet, although we heard that itwas supposed to warn her if her blood pressure got too high. We heard no barking and saw no dog poop.

We shared a tour lunch table with the woman and her husband and three other couples. Her opinions were strong, and he was mostly silent. She had a reputation onboard for being demanding and difficult.

I felt that the woman was a fraud. After we returned home, I did complain to HAL for putting staff and crew in such a situation. I received a polite reply.

Barbara"

Thank you Barbara for posting. We saw none of those negative behaviors while we were on board - so all this fuss had us confused. I guess we just hung out in the wrong places.

I have been reading this thread out of interest alone, I am not a dog owner. I do work with accessibility legislation though and am very aware of rights on both sides. Service dogs do not bark for no reason, they wouldn't be comfortable off leash, they do not wear "outfits" other than a harness vest identifying the dog as a service animal and they would not be pushed about in a wheelchair.

I always feel sorry for any animal that is subjected to having to wear human - looking clothes. I think it says more about the owner; the IEEE monkey comes to mind and that animal was called her child by the owner and it was removed from her care immediately.