CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

POA1

07-Fort-Lauderdale-2014-12-07.jpg

On this Day in History - December 7th - The first gyro-stabilized vessel crosses the Atlantic Ocean in 1932 and arrives in New York City. There are complaints about the dress code, and the food has reportedly gone downhill since pre-gyroscopic times. In music news, Otis Redding records "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" on this day in 1967. We are totally going to request this song at the B.B. King Show tonight.

Good morning, my Cruise Critic pals! It's about 6:20 AM as I write this, and the sun is just coming up on the horizon. I'll post it when we get to Fort Lauderdale and we have cell phone service.

Last night was the International Menu night, and Huskerchick finally relented and allowed me to attend. We're in the Tamarind restaurant next week for International Night, which means that we'll be having International, But Confined to the Eastern Hemisphere Night instead.

Service was greatly improved last night. It was smooth and efficient. The menu was in English, and the dreaded prunes were not to be found. (I suppose there's a giant tractor trailer of Sun Sweet Prunes waiting to be on loaded at the terminal in Port Everglades. Check the webcam and let me know.)

I forgot to take my phone to dinner last night, so there are no food photos, but here's what we had: DW had the mezze plate (hummus, tabouleh, cous cous, olives, and pita) followed by the chilled pumpkin soup. For her entree, she had the cod over risotto. DFIL had the chicken spring roll, the potato soup, and (spell check may butcher this, and if it does, know that I mean "pasts".) orizette with sausage. I started with the spring roll, followed by the mezze plate. My main course was the shrimp Provencal. DW had New York cheesecake for dessert, while her dad and I had baked Alaska. All our food was excellent, with the exception of Huskerchick's cheesecake, which was merely okay. (We think it's part of the larger cheese related plot, and the ship's cheese monger is angry because he's out of prunes.)

A word of advice for people who are going to try the International Menu: Get an advance copy. If you're in a Neptune Suite, it will come to you. Otherwise, just saunter down to the MDR in the afternoon, where they'll have it posted. Do some advance reading. There are quite a few very good selections on the menu. You'll benefit from having the extra time to read and decide.

As with all final nights, the MDR was somewhat sparsely attended. It could be that people are packing, or it could be that people don't want to face waiters that they're not tipping. If the latter is the case, those people should know that there's absolutely no pressure to tip extra. If you want to, great. If your arms are short, and you can't reach your wallet, that's fine, too. You paid your daily hotel service charge, and that's pooled for tips. We tipped our waiters last night in case any of them are going home, or get assigned to a different section next week. We did the same for our room stewards, who are stellar.

Our silver medallion friends told us that the new HAL president is getting on in Fort Lauderdale, as are a slew of Holland America executives. One of our bartenders (and make no mistake, they're our bartenders. ;) ) told us that we're being joined by close to 200 travel agents on the upcoming segment. You'll probably have a hard time getting a cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam once all those TAs experience a voyage in close proximity to our bubble of awesome - and sparkles.

We finally saw Shrimpboat123 and Shrimpette yesterday. We were on the same shuttle bus back to the ship in Key West. I'm sure we'll see him today around sail away, and then approximately 1.6 times in the next week. :D

Edited by POA1

Please - you have to show us the souvenir you bought for him!

He got a US Route 1, mile marker zero T-shirt. Route 1 starts in Key West. It's not often - or ever - that we find souvenir t-shirts in his size, so we bought him one.

What would one buy a Pooh-Joe (?). A mermaid ornament with a starfish bra or a Styrofoam chocolate key lime pie on a stick?

TMZ is waiting:D.

e9f220a4cf3ce5f644bcd04bd97a6b2c.jpg

The only problem now is that he's expecting us to take him to Fort Kent when we go to Maine this summer. He's looking for a T-shirt from the other end of US 1.

Edited by POA1

He got a US Route 1, mile marker zero T-shirt. Route 1 starts in Key West. It's not often - or ever - that we find souvenir t-shirts in his size, so we bought him one.

e9f220a4cf3ce5f644bcd04bd97a6b2c.jpg

The only problem now is that he's expecting us to take him to Fort Kent when we go to Maine this summer. He's looking for a T-shirt from the other end of US 1.

Cute!!

Your ship likes prunes. Our Noordam cruise -- bananas -- bananas -- way too many of them.

International Night -- we have yet to do this in the dining room -- don't like the menu. DH eats anything but even he does not like the menu. That could be another reason why there are not a lot of people in the dining room on the last night of the cruise.

We always tip whomever we feel needs tipping at the end of each segment like you.

According to the documentation in our room, the welcome letter & today's On Location, we have a new captain and a new Cruise Director. The CD is listed as JT, and I'll have to grab the welcome letter from the room for the captain's name. (I am the designated table holder in the Lido while DW and her father get breakfast.) I'm not sure if the CD change is a typo, or if they're making a change for the group that's getting on. It would seem like Jeremy's two week tenure is mighty short.

Huskerchick wants to give a shout out to. Ryan in the Ocean Bar. He made her an Espresso Martini with fresh espresso from the Explorations Cafe. She deemed it outstanding. You probably don't want to try this during a busy time so that your fellow bar patrons give you the stink eye. Wait until the Crow's Nest is pretty empty.

The new master is Captain Edward G. van Zaane.

The wine packages also change today. I'll scan them and post them shortly. I already pre-ordered some white from the new list and a couple bottles of Pinot Noir from the old one.

Our silver medallion friends told us that the new HAL president is getting on in Fort Lauderdale, as are a slew of Holland America executives. One of our bartenders (and make no mistake, they're our bartenders. ;) ) told us that we're being joined by close to 200 travel agents on the upcoming segment.

Oh, this could get interesting. Please do let us know if his presence (and that of the TA's he's schmoozing with) makes a difference in the atmosphere on board (and if so, in what ways). I will love to read all about it.

Actually we expect to see you 1.609344 times. :D

Hope to see you for the sail away on our balcony today.

Since we saw you in the Lido, all we're allowed is a sideways glance on your balcony. That will fulfill the 0.609344 sightings we have left. ;)

Agree with Ruth, that could be interesting.

Glad you enjoyed the international night. I think you are all prey easy to please with the food. I can't recall any meal that you've said has been bad. I've done that international menu several times and it's mediocre at best. There are so many better meals imo. Reading the menu for hours won't change that:D.

Hope you wait this morning isn't too bad.

Oh, this could get interesting. Please do let us know if his presence (and that of the TA's he's schmoozing with) makes a difference in the atmosphere on board (and if so, in what ways). I will love to read all about it.

We're on it like the intrepid cub reporters you know we are. (Especially Poohby Joe, who is literally a cub.) :cool:

I have the wine. Carefully wrapped.

Corkscrew is in an envelope in your mail slot. :D

Update. Your door was open, so I put it with your beer.

Edited by POA1

Your ship likes prunes. Our Noordam cruise -- bananas -- bananas -- way too many of them.

International Night -- we have yet to do this in the dining room -- don't like the menu. DH eats anything but even he does not like the menu. That could be another reason why there are not a lot of people in the dining room on the last night of the cruise.

We always tip whomever we feel needs tipping at the end of each segment like you.

So, you had excellent potassium levels, whereas we're as regular as a clock. :D

We will see if there are any plumbing problems on those 2 ships and if the fruit supplied has had an impact.;)

Glad you enjoyed the international night. I think you are all prey easy to please with the food. I can't recall any meal that you've said has been bad. I've done that international menu several times and it's mediocre at best. There are so many better meals imo. Reading the menu for hours won't change that:D.

Hope you wait this morning isn't too bad.

Our wait was about 30 - 35 minutes. It would have been shorter, but there were some people swimming and they had to be fetched. Naturally, they showed up in bathrobes.

As for meals I didn’t like, the duck in the Tamarind qualified. There's a big difference between good, excellent, and spectacular.

Here are three from the spectacular category. The first two were from my 50th birthday last year. I dined with Huskerchick alone on the first night, and we invited my brother & his wife, and my sister & her husband the 2nd night. The menu listed as "big menu" was actually 21 courses, all paired with something to drink. A few of the courses were surprises sent out by the kitchen. Needless to say, I don't expect meals on ship to equal those on land where the price per person exceeds a grand.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/ff5020db-5f57-4950-9df3-3ba863becc2c/20209f76d4f2c0d70cbc499c38a30d36

We try to factor cost into the equation, and we've been really pleased overall. Different people have different tastes and preferences. And like I told you, other than the calf brains (also Per Se, but in 2009) there's very little I don't like. (In case you're wondering, calf brains have the taste and consistency of ramen noodles. It was knowing what they were that put me off. - - I guess I've lost the vegetarians in the audience. :eek: )

Edited by POA1

Glad your wait was quick. Ours was well over an hour.

That duck certainly didn't look great that night. I'm glad you decided to return to the tamarind.

I meant to tell you that I passed the list of wine that you supplied on our cruise to my colleague. She was intrigued when I told her about it. They have referred to the list many times and have tried several of the wines according to her. She's been very pleased.

We met our new Cabana Stewards this morning, John & Ed. They seem really attentive. The cabana dwellers on either side of us were doing the B2B, too. I was joking with Huskerchick that for only $500, we got our own private screaming kids. (In reality, the kids have been well-behaved, and the mother usually takes the baby for a walk when she - the baby - starts crying.)

We decided to skip the Mariner's Embarkation Lunch this week. We hadn't embarked, so we didn't feel like we earned it. ;) Our cabana stewards really want to get us lunch, we we're going to take them up on their offer.

Thank you so much for your entertaining and informative posts. In four weeks I'll be getting ready to board the beautiful NA for a 14-day cruise. On my last cruise on the NA three years ago, Captain Edward G. van Zaane was in charge. I met him in the retreat cabanas while he was getting a quick break from duties and he was accompanied by his wife. Both of them started a conversation with me and they were absolutely charming. The weather on that cruise wasn't the best, we missed a few ports, and some passengers were very cranky and loud about it but in spite of that, the crew remained cheerful and extremely attentive. They say that a good captain and hotel director make a good crew. I am looking forward to the next seven days and your great reports.

Hot off the presses, here's our updated wine package list that goes into effect today.

Thanks for the update... Glad to see the Spellbound is still in the package. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures over the next week. Will try again to get screenshots of departure.

POA1, Huskerchick and Poohby Joe many many thanks for letting us cruise along with you. I must admit I'm addicted and find this thread is the first thing in the morning I check and the last thing at night. I know, I know, I really need to get a life but at least for another week it ain't goin' happen! :D

Your avid followers thank you for the time you are taking to keep us entertained and educated.

Keep us posted on those prunes! :rolleyes:

POA1, Thank you for the invaluable wine education. Although wine is my alcoholic beverage of choice, I am a half step above box wine and convenience store wine in a brown paper bag (i.e., "wino" to your oenophile).

Anyway, after perusing the wine lists and packages, we've decided to bring our own and pay the corkage. Rather have what we truly like. Was going to bring all Sauvignon Blancs (Chardonnay burns what is usually a cast iron stomach and dislike sweet/dessert wines). At the last minute, I decided to buy a Shiraz (love the name!) and a Merlot because Cabernet Sauvignons are too tannicy (sp) and feel like I should either chew them or plant a pumpkin patch on my tongue. Here's where you'll cringe: I selected them based on the label and $$$. The shiraz is a Oliver Hills Red Silk and the merlot something with horses called 14 Hands. Loved the labels but should I leave them home? :o

Thanks again for including us on your delightful cruise.

P.S. I'm glad HAL's new mascot is aquiring his own cruise wardrobe!

Edited by pamelabrown53
edit to add