Double charged for gratuities!!!

ksuds

We sailed the Vision last week for a 7 day cruise. We always prepay our gratuities when we book as we like to sign up for my time dining. I also like to get that expense out of the way.

On our last night of sailing we decided to check our onboard charges to make sure we didn't see anything crazy. We do this because they accidentally charged us for 4 drink packages recently when there are only two of us.

We were traveling in a group of 4 so we got the other 2 cards so guest relations would run all the bills. After looking at them, we say the 12.00 per day line item everyday on all our bills. We explained that we prepaid and that should show in their records. We asked them to remove the extra charges.

Well asking that was like commiting a crime. They told us that removing the tips meant our people wouldn't get paid. Huh? But we already paid, what do you mean you aren't paying them. They would not help us, they advised us that we needed to prove to them we paid.

OK.....off to the slow internet computers we went to get our proof. We printed off proof that all 4 of us prepaid our gratuities. This reflected on our booking invoice that showed paid in full.

They informed us that they would correct the issue and credit back our accounts. They could not print us new statements because they said it would take a while to fix.

Morning came and the first thing I did was grab the printout off the door. Yay! They fixed it. I didn't even think to call my mom's room on deck 4 (we were on 7) to have her verify. While we were waiting in our debarkation area around 8:30 we grabbed her and her roommates bills to see what they were charged. Uggggg.......there grats were still on there. By that time, guest services and all surrounding areas were a mess. We couldn't get anywhere near it.

Now we are stuck with the hassel of trying to get corporate to credit the accounts back.

My learning experience from this is to make sure you carry your booking invoice (which we never have). Then demand proof from guest service that the issue will be handled.

Very disappointed that this has happened.

Edited by ksuds

...My learning experience from this is to make sure you carry your booking invoice (which we never have). Then demand proof from guest service that the issue will be handles.

Very disappointed that this has happened.

Good advice Karen. We learned that ourselves a few years back when they would not give us some promised OBC. Unfortunately, we also did not have our booking invoice, so we ended up having to deal with Corporate Guest Relations after the cruise. The Corporate people were very nice by the way and fixed us up in no time.

You know what really sucks about this, other than the hassle you endured? Even though you paid your gratuities, your room attendant and wait staff probably saw a report that your gratuities were removed and possibly think you stiffed them.

This is why I start checking my onboard account early in the cruise. Much easier to identify and correct these issues before the last night or last morning of the cruise.

I travel with my best friend and he enjoys a few bottles of wine in the cabin during the cruise. He orders from room service. Almost every time at least one or two bottles are charged to my account even though he gives them his name and cabin number and seapass card. I think they just charge to the cabin which is in my name. Usually easy to fix but I would hate to wait until disembarkation morning to tackle it at Guest Relations.

This is why I start checking my onboard account early in the cruise. ...

Another good idea. On those ships without an interactive TV, we usually ask for a printout on day 2 or 3 to see if our OBC has been credited.

You know what really sucks about this, other than the hassle you endured? Even though you paid your gratuities, your room attendant and wait staff probably saw a report that your gratuities were removed and possibly think you stiffed them.

I really hope that is not the case. That was why we held off removing them until we provided proof. But in hindsight, you are probably right.:(

I really hope that is not the case. That was why we held off removing them until we provided proof. But in hindsight, you are probably right.:(

However, if you did My Time Dining, they probably know that you prepaid in advance, since you needed to prepay in advance for MTD.

I hope I'm wrong, because I was also told that if gratuities are removed, the Hotel Director questions the affected staff for possible reasons.

However, if you did My Time Dining, they probably know that you prepaid in advance, since you needed to prepay in advance for MTD.

They do not know until the last day if gratuities were pre-paid. At least, that's what I was told by my room attendant on Liberty last month.

They do not know until the last day if gratuities were pre-paid. At least, that's what I was told by my room attendant on Liberty last month.

The server may have an idea as MTD you are usually required to prepay.

But I guess that could be it, they don't know until the last of the cruise....

Good advice Karen. We learned that ourselves a few years back when they would not give us some promised OBC. Unfortunately, we also did not have our booking invoice, so we ended up having to deal with Corporate Guest Relations after the cruise. The Corporate people were very nice by the way and fixed us up in no time.

So far, not so easy. They say we have to wait and see if our credit card gets credited back. They said that sometimes there is a lag in time with the ship.

So far, not so easy. They say we have to wait and see if our credit card gets credited back. They said that sometimes there is a lag in time with the ship.

How long are they asking you to wait?

Even though we pre-pay gratuities, the account is still shown as being charged for gratuities on a daily basis, and then credited against our pre-pay on-board credit.

I also find it interesting after reading so many posts about how easy it is to lift gratuities from one's bill, that someone gave you a problem saying that you would first need to prove that you pre-paid before they would remove the charge.

...I also find it interesting after reading so many posts about how easy it is to lift gratuities from one's bill, that someone gave you a problem saying that you would first need to prove that you pre-paid before they would remove the charge.
I think there is a deadline past which you are not supposed to be able to remove tips. I think the OP was past this deadline.

I think there is a deadline past which you are not supposed to be able to remove tips. I think the OP was past this deadline.

No, because we reported all 4 incidents of being double charged at the same time and they fixed two of the accounts. This wasn't a matter of us not wanting to pay them and have them removed. We prepaid them when we booked the cruise and we proved that. I don't think even if there was a deadline, that this falls under that scenario.

No, because we reported all 4 incidents of being double charged at the same time and they fixed two of the accounts. This wasn't a matter of us not wanting to pay them and have them removed. We prepaid them when we booked the cruise and we proved that. I don't think even if there was a deadline, that this falls under that scenario.
I totally understand that you were not attempting to avoid tipping, AND I certainly don't think double billing comes under any deadline. I was merely coming up with a reason for Roce48 as to why GR was asking for documentation (IF it wasn't double billing, then you were past the deadline).

Thom

So the entire problem never should have happened in the first place. Since the OP had MTD guest services should have known that the gratuities were prepaid and should not have hassled the OP in any way. But an appology would have been nice.... and in order.

Call your credit card company and let them sort it out. It's part of the policies and protections attached to your card. I can't stand wasting time chasing companies for my own money.

I have read here that the only issue with doing this is that Royal will then flag that credit card and will never again accept it for payment. I would use as a last resort only.

Call your credit card company and let them sort it out. It's part of the policies and protections attached to your card. I can't stand wasting time chasing companies for my own money.

On our CCs when you go to dispute a charge you have to click a button telling them that you have tried your best to work it out with the company that charged you.

So the entire problem never should have happened in the first place. Since the OP had MTD guest services should have known that the gratuities were prepaid and should not have hassled the OP in any way. But an appology would have been nice.... and in order.

Agreed.

I take every invoice of everything I paid for in advance online with me on every cruise. I have done this from my very first cruise. I also do this for my land base vacation reservations. Newton's Law .... What can go bad will! Luckily for us no problems yet!

I take every invoice of everything I paid for in advance online with me on every cruise. I have done this from my very first cruise. I also do this for my land base vacation reservations. Newton's Law .... What can go bad will! Luckily for us no problems yet!

I do the same. I carry everything needed to prove what was paid, reserved, and promised. I don't want to waste anymore time than is necessary to correct a problem.