An expensive disappointment

hrprof

I received a handsomely packaged, hard cover, temptingly printed book from Regent. The subject was Explorer (the most luxurious cruise ship ever). I poured myself a drink and sat down to read. I am considering Explorer as a possible move back to Regent from Oceania after being away since 2008. I was hungering for details - deck plans, specifications, suite details and artist renderings of interiors, dining venues etc. What did I get? The usual pictures of couples with Champagne, handsome servers, general deck posing and on and on - no facts.

It quickly found its way to the recycling bin - what a waste of Regent's money and my time!

as have others who've posted earlier. In the words of Joe Friday, "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

In these days of digital design, and since they are cutting steel the design is set, you can bet they have virtual depictions of every nook and cranny on the Explorer some of which would have greatly enhanced our interest if included in the booklet.

Edited by Portolan

You at least received something to be disappointed about. I have Gold status and never receive any of their mailings. My two daughters have travelled with me as guests. They receive everything. I do receive emails but I like to see printed matter from time to time.

You at least received something to be disappointed about. I have Gold status and never receive any of their mailings. My two daughters have travelled with me as guests. They receive everything. I do receive emails but I like to see printed matter from time to time.

Don't feel too bad, it really is a waste of the poor trees. I've still got it sitting on the coffee table, but it has no content. (I'm Gold too, haven't sailed on R since 2012 and don't intend to, unless something changes.)

Received 'the book' expecting sharp photos of the ship. I too was disappointed. Although we can't travel anymore ( both use walkers) we share your views on the choice of lines.

I browse the oddtime and chuckle over "carpets' " art shows, "food", etc.

Received 'the book' expecting sharp photos of the ship. I too was disappointed. Although we can't travel anymore ( both use walkers) we share your views on the choice of lines.

I browse the oddtime and chuckle over "carpets' " art shows, "food", etc.

Ah Neville, nice to see you post! Glad you are still getting around, albeit with some mechanical help. Hope you are otherwise well.

Haw, our sentiments as well, we were wondering if others shared our frustration. Who is the marketing genius that came up with this gimmick for Del Rio?

One thing though, that handsome couple portrayed throughout resembles us exactly. LOL

I think they went to a picture frame store and stole the generic photos that come inside the frames.

Really, I have no idea why they bothered. Except that we are talking about it, aren't we? But then the discussion seems to skew to "I haven't sailed with them in a while, and this isn't giving me any reason to do so."

I don't get any mailings from them either... Now that you have posted this, Threechicks, I feel I am in good company!

I can also add that I am very very curious to see a deck plan and suite plans for the Explorer. Just like everyone else I suppose!

How many of you remember the disastrous initial marketing of Infiniti cars where no car was shown.

It is now many, many years later and they have never recovered from that disaster, trailing Lexus badly, although their cars, IMO, are every bit as good or better than Lexus.

I don't think that this will happen here but a marketing lesson should have been learned :)

I would be most interested in knowing who signed off on this piece of garbage. My Mom, a very loyal Regent customer, was quite put off by this book because the passengers "shown" do not represent her or her peers. Who are all these beautiful 50 year old people with extensive plastic surgery and photoshop enhancement?

While it is true that Regent may be aiming to attract a new audience with a younger demographic, they must remember that most people in their 50's are still working and are unable to take four week vacations.

This piece of advertisement did nothing to advertise a new ship - it may have done more harm than good

Number one rule of advertising - know your market and know it well.

gnomie :)

I was put off by it because it is such a clear waste of money and good quality paper. And that money has to come from somewhere--the passenger. Now if it had contained substantive information, that would be another thing. But to spend money for something that is completely worthless is just poor management.

gnomie, You are so right. I am almost gold (1 day) on Regent and am very interested in the new ship. Specifics are important to me and this was a total turn off. My favorite ship is Silver Whisper on a different line and I want to be able to compare. I liken this to what Conde Nast Traveler is doing by making every thing so exotic as opposed to the great travel advice they used to give. Know your market!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't check in here very often because Regent has gotten quite expensive. Glad to see some familiar names are still posting. I did get the Explorer mailing and was similarly disappointed. Not any more detail than what's on the website, which is basically nothing. Seems like a waste of quite a bit of money. IMO, not a very wise expense.

The image used on the front of this brochure isn't one of the new ship. In fact it's the Voyager. I finally found a rendering of Seven Seas Voyager here. She looks top heavy above the bridge. It would be great to see some computerized renderings of her interior. Unfortunately many cruise lines fail to promote their ships, preferring to include pictures of the ports rather than their "luxurious" vessels. Years ago it wasn't like that. It used to be about the ship.

ChatKat, While I am not a RSSC cheerleader, I do evaluate them as one of the best cruise lines. The cost versus almost all other luxury lines is not so much more as to eliminate them as a candidate for my dollars. I think your subtle but definite bashing is overly critical unless you have a specific complaint.

Other lines may be better in unique areas; food, cabins, entertainment, etc. but the total package is most competitive. I find your dismissive attitude close minded.

Given a choice I would cruise SS, but I don't limit myself by elimination.

Don't feel too bad, it really is a waste of the poor trees. I've still got it sitting on the coffee table, but it has no content. (I'm Gold too, haven't sailed on R since 2012 and don't intend to, unless something changes.)

Why don't you intend to cruise with Regent until sometging changes

How many of you remember the disastrous initial marketing of Infiniti cars where no car was shown.

It is now many, many years later and they have never recovered from that disaster, trailing Lexus badly, although their cars, IMO, are every bit as good or better than Lexus.

I don't think that this will happen here but a marketing lesson should have been learned :)

At the time I thought that was the worst marketing campaign I'd seen. I'm still not sure I can recall worse.

/got a bit of the keel of the new ship but it should be interesting to see who actually goes on the maiden voyage

.................it should be interesting to see who actually goes on the maiden voyage

My sources tell me that T/As are already reserving their top Regent clients (Double/Triple+ Titanium's). I doubt it will even make to down to Platinum let alone Gold.

j