Rome - Hotel Recommendations

BEEZLEE

:D

Indeed - to each his own!

Perhaps the best feature of the one bedroom apartments we rent is that I can get up early, close the bedroom door, and make coffee and check the news without disturbing sleeping beauty :D

Robbie

Sounds good. Our moto is enjoy it while you can and you also

seem to be doing that.

we are looking into staying in a convent in Rome. Anyone have experience with that?

We stayed in Casa San Giuseppe in Transtevere for a couple of nights last year. It is convent owned but pretty secular in set up, really just a simple hotel. Our room was huge but very simply furnished. Very clean and good breakfast and very nice staff. Very handy location. Here is their web site:

http://www.casasangiuseppe.it/home

Whatever you do. Try and find a soundproof hotel ....noise in Rome is unbelievable at all hours of the night .With experience I wouls say stay out of downtown core for a better sleep

Loads of B& b search that venue

We stayed in North Rome in a nice residential area ...I would go back there because it was o quiet ...our last stay was in town ...never got any sleep ....

we are looking into staying in a convent in Rome. Anyone have experience with that?

Take a look at monasterystays.com

We stayed at the Palazzo Cardinal Cesi palazzocesi.it , it is located a few hundred meters from StPeters & Vatican Museum and HoHo buses at the door.

Any one who had spent much time in Rome, will tell you its insanity criss crossed by hundreds of streets and steeped in history

People parking, driving and crowding on sidewalks...people and crowds like you would never believe... noise and mayhem ( all the stories about Italian drivers are understatements)

Staying by the Spanish steps, down town is an invitation to madness. and what is truly needed at the end of the day quiet and serenity, far from the crowds, gypsies and pick pockets. It is crazy fun but still crazy and exhausting

The Calavari Hilton on a high hill over looking St Peters and with a whole panoramic view of the entire city... Fantastic Michelin star restaurant on the roof and free shuttle to various town centers. Calm in the center of the storm... on the roof terrace watch the moon rise over St peters and all of Rome..... all in serenity and calm...............which you will come to appreciate in Rome as a rare wine.

We spent 6 nights at the Inn at the Roman Forum following our O cruise this October. We loved the location. I did a long review on TA . The inn is very highly rated and we got a steal of a deal on booking dot com. It is on a quiet side street across from the forum and the area feels residential. There are many restaurants nearby. We did not bother with any transit our tourist passes. We arrived on the first Sunday of the month so many museums were free that day. We booked an early morning breakfast at the Vatican (7:30-we took a cab) and were able to enjoy the Vatican museum including the Sisteen Chapel before the throngs of tourists arrived. There may have been 20 of us inside the Chapel and it was extraordinary. Highly recommended!

Any one who had spent much time in Rome, will tell you its insanity criss crossed by hundreds of streets and steeped in history

People parking, driving and crowding on sidewalks...people and crowds like you would never believe... noise and mayhem ( all the stories about Italian drivers are understatements)

Staying by the Spanish steps, down town is an invitation to madness. and what is truly needed at the end of the day quiet and serenity, far from the crowds, gypsies and pick pockets. It is crazy fun but still crazy and exhausting

The Calavari Hilton on a high hill over looking St Peters and with a whole panoramic view of the entire city... Fantastic Michelin star restaurant on the roof and free shuttle to various town centers. Calm in the center of the storm... on the roof terrace watch the moon rise over St peters and all of Rome..... all in serenity and calm...............which you will come to appreciate in Rome as a rare wine.

Agree, the hotel especially if you can get a suite,is very special and the restaurant is world class.

The restaurant, La Pergola, is a Michelin 3 star, and regarded at the finest in Rome and one of the 3 best in all Italy Dining there overlooking all of Rome is a memory that is priceless. I a note on Trip advisor raitings...both hotel and dining , the cheapest places and fast food joints get higher scores because of the volume of budget travelers... Don't take it as an absolute without considering that skew.

Many budget and mid range hotels in Rome are, in very packed and less than clean areas... Sadly we found the rooms to be to a 'different standard of cleanness . Most over priced back packer hotels in seedy areas.

A word to the wise... keep away from hotels near attractions the Spanish steps Coliseum, The fountains, because they draw a lot of people looking to in some way rip you off The pick pocket and scammers flock to these areas in droves... As bad as the train stations which are legendary places

What is complicated, with the very few exceptions is many good places and mixed in the same areas with poor places and problematic areas.

The Hilton is not one of these...its in its own 40 acre private park and garden. It offers all sorts of great tours and guides...

If this is your first visit to Rome or maybe your only one, and your sailing on Oceania and have that financial ability and desire of quality... this is the place for you... its about $450 a night ( that's half the price of a cabin of the ship) Don't go on a luxury trip and stay in motel 6 and eat at burger king prior to the cruise. If you can afford the cruise treat your self across the board with the same fervor.

Happy new-year all

I have nun as well.

I have not made a habit of it:D

Seriously, be aware of any approach from strangers as they try to establish a link by handing something to you, get you to sign something, or pretending they have some link to your nationality.

They are all scams!

Edited by wally_bushy

I have nun as well.

I have not made a habit of it:D

Seriously, be aware of any approach from strangers as they try to establish a link by handing something to you, get you to sign something, or pretending they have some link to your nationality.

They are all scams!

Also be aware of the scam cabs... who put your luggage in the trunk and take off. Then the fake policemen who will try to arrest you. And be cautious about all the vespa scooters.... the ride on the sidewalk and everywhere thys have a team one side swipes you and the other from behind grabs or cuts your strap. aND THE BEST FOR LAST the gangs of gypsies kids with the news papers... who will surround you... this is where you fight back because they will pick you clean.... Too never accept something to eat that you haven't ordered. Women...be prepared to get you butt pinched daily

Because of the huge draw of Rome coupled with the serious recession ever pick pocket, bunko artist, and petty criminal for 1000 miles will be there waiting for you... Take nothing with if value with you during the day wear a wallet around your neck and under your clothes....nothing in any pocket.

You might like Hotel La Residenza on Via Emelia. It is up a staircase from Via Veneto, and a short walk to The Spanish steps. It is within walking distance of many attractions. The hotel itself was a residence and retains much of the charm of a welcoming house. What was the main salon is now the breakfast room in which they serve very good food. The staff is excellent. We always enjoy our time in this hotel, and stayed there before our 2011 TA Rome-Miami.

Again, this is a case of "to each his own".

I've stayed in Rome close to a dozen times, and I enjoy being in the heart of it each time. I love stepping out the hotel door and being in the whirl. If you stay in a good hotel (like the Albergo del Senato), the triple-paned windows do a good job of keeping out the noise when closed and covered with the heavy drapes. Does it keep out 100% of all noise -- perhaps not. But I don't go to Rome expecting a country stillness at night.

(I didn't look at later answers so you may well have better comments from others! But my niece was a graduate student in Firenze for a year and lived in a nunnery ... she rather liked it. I guess she felt safe there. She's not exactly the nun-type now, although she may have been at the time ...)

Mura

We've only been to Rome once in recent years but some of these comments are not what we encountered.

We stayed at a hotel near the Steps and were not bothered by noise at all, but we were a 5 minute walk away. If we'd been on top of the Steps, perhaps we'd have been bothered by noise.

Likewise, no one pinched my butt -- of course I'm old enough now that few would be interested plus I was never alone -- and we didn't encounter the scams mentioned although we've encountered some in Barcelona.

Those travel scams are the risk of travel ... I'm not going to stop traveling because of them.

Mura