Anyone bothering to dress up for Grande?

omarchs

Currently on the 12/12 sailing. Jacket required. If you don't have one they'll loan it to you. Every "formal" restaurant in the world requires it, ESPECIALLY in Europe -- so don't understand the angst. Don't like it, don't eat there. You know going in that it's formal and jacket is required. Want more options? Pay the up charge or get a suite for Coastal Kitchen. Still don't like it? Book a different ship. This ship is amazing but clearly isn't for everyone. Get with the program or move on and be happier somewhere else. Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over a coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A) I'm not on the Quantum I'm on Oasis when I booked it was traditional dining hence why I booked

b) I cannot change the booking due to restrictions

C) if you could read I have no problem wearing formal but in the past regardless of where I have eaten formal for example restaurants at home, royal Caribbean ships in the past including Oasis etc I have never been required to wear a jacket because of the simple fact I take it off.

d) I was asking a simple question anyone know if the jacket can be missed its seems stupid tome as I will just take it off and no one will see it.

My panties are not in a bunch over a coat it's a jacket a coat is a different thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there are - at the moment every ship in the entire RCI fleet except Quantum & Oasis, not to mention many other cruise lines.

Correct and this will be my last cruise with RC sadly I am stuck with the cruise now

As a previous poster has mentioned, the Grande will let you have a black jacket for the 30 sec walk from the entrance to your table.:cool:

Thats perfect I hope they carry this forward onto the Oasis and then all problems will be solved.

I have no problems with Formal but in the past Formal has never required a jacket including on RC I have never had a problem in the past.

I am not "whining" but when I pay upwards of £2000 for a cruise I don't expect to be restricted to two restaurants for 2 weeks which have the same menu.

I don't have a problem dressing in formal attire but in the UK formal is not known to wear a "jacket" as so I don't own a "jacket".

Sorry, but that's complete BS. Formal attire in the UK most definitely includes a jacket. Should you wish to show up at venues requesting formal attire without a jacket - that's a different issue entirely.

There are two other restaurants on the Oasis which isnt really ideal if your on for two weeks and would like to vary as I would have been able to had they not changed

Since you're discounting all the other restaurants on board, then by comparison you only had ONE restaurant available before Oasis was converted.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Sorry, but that's complete BS. Formal attire in the UK most definitely includes a jacket. Should you wish to show up at venues requesting formal attire without a jacket - that's a different issue entirely.

I can assure you I attend many formal meetings & dinners in the UK for my line of work and never once have I or for that matter any of my collegues ever been questioned on why we don't have a jacket on. So long as I am wearing the shirt and tie its more than acceptable. Usually I proceed to the dinner in a coat which is taken off me at the cloak room and I enjoy dinner in my suit with no complaints.

Since you're discounting all the other restaurants on board, then by comparison you only had ONE restaurant available before Oasis was converted.

Incorrect the Oasis previously had the MDR which in theory was like 7 different restaurants with a different menu every night.

Now Im stuck with 2 restaurants with the same menu for 7 nights and I like to vary my food when I go on a cruise instead of eating the same thing a few nights in a row for example say if there isn't a wide choice that appeals on the menu.

My issue has now been resolved it appears so we need not to take this any further and the discussion from my side can end.

C) if you could read I have no problem wearing formal but in the past regardless of where I have eaten formal for example restaurants at home, royal Caribbean ships in the past including Oasis etc I have never been required to wear a jacket because of the simple fact I take it off.

No, you obviously DO have a problem wearing formal dress - what you DON'T have a problem with is showing up at a venue without a jacket when they've requested formal attire.

My panties are not in a bunch over a coat it's a jacket a coat is a different thing.

Okay, your panties are in a bunch over a JACKET then! :rolleyes:

For me I wouldn't eat in a jacket regardless. Especially not in the Caribbean it would be over the back of my seat in 30 seconds. I feel limited as on the Oasis I don't really fancy eating in American Icon Grill and Silk every night for 14 nights but I don't feel I should be forced into having to purchase a jacket for something I would take off within 30 seconds of getting in the restaurant.

The dining room in the Caribbean is the same temperature as the dining room in Alaska for goodness sakes. Sometimes cooler because of the AC! What difference does it make what location the ship is:confused:

Edited by Christine Frances

I understand that the dress code on the first night of sailing in the Grande is smart casual as opposed to formal. This is due to the fact that some folks receive their luggage late. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Confirmed. On the 12/12 sailing now. Jacket/sport coat required after the first night. They'll loan you one if you don't have it.

If you have spent £2000 for the cruise, can't you pop for £35 for a Jacket to wear in the Grande Dining Room? And what's the big deal about wearing the Jacket all the way through dinner?

This is a minuscule 1st world problem!:)

http://www.matalan.co.uk/mens/collections/suits-and-workwear/suits?page=1&size=36&cols=4&sort=&id=/mens/collections/suits-and-workwear/suits

If my "host" says dress formal, then I dress formal. This is not a "hill" worth dying on.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Can someone explain to me how a jacket hanging over the back of a chair enhances the dining experience?

Sure, I'll answer it, it doesn't. But no one is going to make you wear it while you eat. However if you look at most men who actually wear formal, the jacket isn't hanging over the back of the chair.

Formal night may be totally boring and an old fashioned event to you. But it isn't to others. Some of us, in fact many of us, like the opportunity to dress up occasionally. Formal night gives us the opportunity. Seeing others dressed in formal enhances the experience and elevates the evening for us. Obviously not for you. So, Grande is the perfect solution. We, who like the "formal experience," have the opportunity to enjoy it. You, who does not like the "formal experience" doesn't need to experience it. It's the perfect fit. But I guess what many who are now commenting wonder, at least I do, why is it that just because YOU don't see eating in a very nice restaurant, "dressed to the nines," with others who are also dressed, is an elevated experience, that you shouldn't be required to meet the published dress code of a single restaurant on a multi-restaurant ship? It's not like there aren't other venues available for you to wear whatever the heck you want. Why should your wants and desires be superior to mine, when mine are simply in keeping with published dress code?

Most of us agree that with a traditional MDR, that if those who don't want formal don't have to wear it. But Grande is an advertised "Formal Only" restaurant. So why do people insist that it violates their rights to have to wear a simple jacket?

Look at it this way. Years ago, Carnival ships had a topless deck. No one under 18 years old were allowed up there, and those that were not interested in topless sunbathing were discouraged to go up there. So can't we apply the same logic? Why, if I was 17, should I be not allowed on the topless deck? Why, should a woman even be required to go to the topless deck? Why not simply the pool deck? What if she gets hot and wants to swim? Why should she have to put her top on to do so? You don't think you should have to wear a jacket to go into a formal restaurant. What's the difference?

Why can't kids use the solarium pool? What if it's cold and rainy? Why shouldn't they be able to use the enclosed adult area?

Here's my point. Where do we draw the line, and who gets to determine what line is drawn?

Royal Caribbean owns the ship. They draw the line. No topless sunbathing, no kids in the adult pool, and jackets required in Grande. Simple.

I'm attaching a copy of the message that displays on the tv the day you have reservations for Grande. I was on the 11/23/14 sailing and men and children were required to wear a jacket. They were loaning jackets out at the restaurant if you didn't have one. There is a closet at the entrance where they are located. I noticed a lot of children (estimating age between 10-16 years old) were receiving them. I was sitting at the Royal table at the entrance so I saw this happening a lot. I wore a suit and tie. If you don't want to wear formal atire, I would choose another restaurant. Or if everyone in your group has formal but one of your children doesn't have a jacket, I would just ask to borrow one at the door. Maybe check ahead of time just to make sure they have one available.

Loved Dynamic Dining. Had no problems and enjoyed the atmosphere and food of each restaurant.

Thank You very much for the info. I will make sure buy him one. He is a tall 10 and so he looks 12'ish. We don't dress for dinner nightly at home and that makes a dinner on a cruise a special time.

Even though the menu changed every night in the MDR going to the same venue got boring. Oh sure my waiter knew I liked diet coke and the kids liked having a fruit cup waiting on them but not having that is not the end of the world. In fact after the 5th day my kids wanted to eat someplace else.

We love NCL dining and am sure DD will be a big hit with the younger cruising population.

I am not "whining" but when I pay upwards of £2000 for a cruise I don't expect to be restricted to two restaurants for 2 weeks which have the same menu.

I don't have a problem dressing in formal attire but in the UK formal is not known to wear a "jacket" as so I don't own a "jacket".

I'm not asking and if you could read back on my posts to go in casual I am simply stating my view that there isn't any point at all in me purchasing a jacket as it will sit on the back of my chair for the entire time I dine in the restaurant.

I wouldn't have the problem if royal would leave the dining as it was previously.

You have 3 inclusive restaurants PLUS Sorrentos, WJ and a whole host of Specialities.

Up until a few years back you had one MDR included and the Buffet.

I'm not asking and if you could read back on my posts to go in casual I am simply stating my view that there isn't any point at all in me purchasing a jacket as it will sit on the back of my chair for the entire time I dine in the restaurant.

I wouldn't have the problem if royal would leave the dining as it was previously.

Errrrr I live in the UK and yes "Formal" would mean a jacket.

What planet are you from and what sort of man doesn't own at LEAST one suit or as a minimum a jacket ?

When I booked my cruise royal was offering traditional dining now they changed and I'm stuck with it.

Personally there should be some options for people who don't want to be subject to the joke that is dynamic dining

Traditional dining ALWAYS included at least one formal night so I really don't understand where you are coming from.

Can I please just say that this man is not representative of most UK men.

I personally don't know of any man that does not have a jacket or suit in his wardrobe. Also, as you say, these ships effectively only had one included restaurant traditionally and now he has three to choose from so I really don't understand the tiresome bleating.

If you have spent £2000 for the cruise, can't you pop for £35 for a Jacket to wear in the Grande Dining Room? And what's the big deal about wearing the Jacket all the way through dinner?

This is a minuscule 1st world problem!:)

http://www.matalan.co.uk/mens/collections/suits-and-workwear/suits?page=1&size=36&cols=4&sort=&id=/mens/collections/suits-and-workwear/suits

If my "host" says dress formal, then I dress formal. This is not a "hill" worth dying on.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

He could get one off ebay for a fiver I reckon (£5) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARLES-ALLEN-Blazer-suit-jacket-40-REGULAR-WOOL-IL133-NEW-BLACK-pin-stripe-/390997540309?pt=UK_Men_s_Suits_Tailoring&hash=item5b0944fdd5

Can someone explain to me how a jacket hanging over the back of a chair enhances the dining experience?

Just to be clear - if you borrow the jacket from the venue, it will not be hanging on the back of the chair - they'll take it away as soon as you sit down. You are literally borrowing a jacket for the 30 second walk from the entrance to your table.

Interesting question. It seems from the few posts that the answer is no. Jacket is usually required to be considered "formal." Although some said no tie. But it seems as though jacket will be necessary.

In my personal opinion, and not wanting to open any discussion or step on any toes, Grande is an advertised "Formal Only" restaurant. I hope RCCL sticks to their guns and holds to the dress code. It's not like there is a lack of dining on Quantum. Some of us like to dress up. Being surrounded by others equally dressed elevates the experience. So I hope they hold to the dress code. Again, just my own opinion.

I totally agree! You are not forced to wear a jacket as you do not have to make a reservation at the Grande if you choose not to dress formal. The Grande is for people who want to dress up. I believe you should wear a tie as well as a jacket for formal night. You guys have it so easy (try wearing stockings and high heels :)) You can change back to casual after dinner. Don't spoil the ambiance for those who want the formal night experience.

Just want to confirm, boarding day is smart casual in the Grande?

Only booked boarding days cause of flying long haul and not having weight space for packing formal wear (if I was driving there I wouldn't be asking)

Just to be clear - if you borrow the jacket from the venue, it will not be hanging on the back of the chair - they'll take it away as soon as you sit down. You are literally borrowing a jacket for the 30 second walk from the entrance to your table.

That is so funny! It's official, "The Shark has been jumped." BTW, I'm not criticizing formal night per se, but pointing out how utterly absurd the concept of formal night has become.

Sure, I'll answer it, it doesn't. But no one is going to make you wear it while you eat. However if you look at most men who actually wear formal, the jacket isn't hanging over the back of the chair.

Formal night may be totally boring and an old fashioned event to you. But it isn't to others. Some of us, in fact many of us, like the opportunity to dress up occasionally. Formal night gives us the opportunity. Seeing others dressed in formal enhances the experience and elevates the evening for us. Obviously not for you. So, Grande is the perfect solution. We, who like the "formal experience," have the opportunity to enjoy it. You, who does not like the "formal experience" doesn't need to experience it. It's the perfect fit. But I guess what many who are now commenting wonder, at least I do, why is it that just because YOU don't see eating in a very nice restaurant, "dressed to the nines," with others who are also dressed, is an elevated experience, that you shouldn't be required to meet the published dress code of a single restaurant on a multi-restaurant ship? It's not like there aren't other venues available for you to wear whatever the heck you want. Why should your wants and desires be superior to mine, when mine are simply in keeping with published dress code?

Most of us agree that with a traditional MDR, that if those who don't want formal don't have to wear it. But Grande is an advertised "Formal Only" restaurant. So why do people insist that it violates their rights to have to wear a simple jacket?

Look at it this way. Years ago, Carnival ships had a topless deck. No one under 18 years old were allowed up there, and those that were not interested in topless sunbathing were discouraged to go up there. So can't we apply the same logic? Why, if I was 17, should I be not allowed on the topless deck? Why, should a woman even be required to go to the topless deck? Why not simply the pool deck? What if she gets hot and wants to swim? Why should she have to put her top on to do so? You don't think you should have to wear a jacket to go into a formal restaurant. What's the difference?

Why can't kids use the solarium pool? What if it's cold and rainy? Why shouldn't they be able to use the enclosed adult area?

Here's my point. Where do we draw the line, and who gets to determine what line is drawn?

Royal Caribbean owns the ship. They draw the line. No topless sunbathing, no kids in the adult pool, and jackets required in Grande. Simple.

I did not object to a restaurant with a formal requirement. Actually, Grande is one of the biggest selling points I see for DD. I was always amazed that some insisted that it was impossible to segment the dining experience with one or more of the main dining rooms celebrating formal nights and one or more choosing not to do so. Seemed to be an excellent solution to me.

That said, you missed my point which was the absurdity of wearing a jacket to the table, removing the jacket while dining, and calling that formal. Now, we learn (post #45) that those being loaned jackets are not allowed to wear the jackets through dinner. They are not even allowed to hang them on the chair. The jackets are only loaned to the customer while he walks to the table. The jackets are then taken from the customer upon being seated. How does this provide an enhanced dining experience? What difference does it make? The man is seated without a jacket! Why not just have the person escorting the customer to his table carry a jacket over his arm in honor of formal night. It would accomplish the same effect. Think of the problems this would solve. Every night in every venue could be a 'formal night'. No one would have to pack formal wear. Simple, as some say.

I recognize that you and others do gain some enhancement of the dining experience in dressing formally and I have no intention of denying this enjoyment. But, if I did want an enhanced dining experience I would be objecting to this.