Magen's Bay Taxi? First Non-Ship Excursion?

violettewaits

So I know I am likely being extremely silly, but I am a very paranoid person so bear with me.

I will be sailing with my husband and my parents on the Norwegian Gem, with a port stop in St. Thomas (West India Co Dock). I have never NOT done a ship excursion because I like having the insurance of them not leaving you behind. But this time, in St. Thomas, I am thinking about it because I'd really like to go to Magen's Bay and the one ship-sponsored excursion does not leave until 12:30 pm. We are docked 8am to 6pm. I'd like to do a beach first then shop by the port, at our leisure.

I was wondering if it makes sense to just catch a cab to Magen's Bay from the cruise port, and then ask the driver to come pick us up at 1pm? This way we get the whole morning to spend there? Are there a lot of taxis at the Magen's Bay area in case our driver doesn't come back?

I have heard that the best time to go to Magen's Bay is the morning, and there will be 2 other ships in port with us that day, so this is really making me consider just taking a taxi, but my parents have never cruised and I'm super anxious so I figured I'd ask here for advice. :D

There will be taxis waiting at the dock and at Magens that can carry up to 25 people per load. If you request a van from the dock, you may have it all to yourself instead of waiting for a vehicle to fill up. You can also talk directly to the driver in a van.

If you do get a van, ask him to return because there may not be a van waiting at Magens .

The taxi drivers do an excellent job of getting back to the ships on time. They patrol the beaches reminding people that it's time to leave so they can get back on time.

Thank you! That is good news! I wouldn't mind sharing a van with other people. Do they have open-air type vans going back and forth? I was concerned about getting back and making sure I was in the port area early enough to enjoy shops and NOT get left behind. :) I guess if I don't prearrange a 1pm pickup with the driver, there are other cabs that go back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add a bit to what rotary mike said. Walk off the ship head out toward the exit. There will be people there directing you to the taxi stand and the next in line van heading to megans beach. It will cost 8 dollars per person one way. four dollars per person to get into the beach. There will be plenty of of vans to take you back to town. No need to make an arrangement with a specific driver. Plenty of vans leaving from town to return to the ship. I believe that is 3 or 4 dollars per person. My wife and I did this when we were there and it worked out great. do not worry. You will be fine.

No worries! You will find a taxi coordinator at the dock with several taxis at your ready.

One thing to consider is the fact that Magens will definitely be crowded around the area with the chairs and other amenities are. Magens is a nice, calm bay but it is the most-touted beach on STT and most tours go there. Since you have a few months to plan you could be a hero just by taking some time to research the beautiful beaches of the East End like Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbor beach. Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with abundant natural shade and pretty water and island views. There are several threads here with excellent info including one titled the beautiful beaches of St Thomas with great descriptions and suggestions from several folks who have enjoyed these beaches. Taxi fare is about the same so nothing to lose.

Just a thought! Have a great cruise! :)

I was there less than 2 weeks ago on the Regal Princess.

Taxi will take you there, one way was $10 and also you pay a fee to enter the park which is $4 for non island residence.

Then another $10 cab ride back to the port. Total $24.

There is a beach area restaurant and bar.

Thank you! That is good news! I wouldn't mind sharing a van with other people. Do they have open-air type vans going back and forth? I was concerned about getting back and making sure I was in the port area early enough to enjoy shops and NOT get left behind. :) I guess if I don't prearrange a 1pm pickup with the driver, there are other cabs that go back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The open-sided safari-type taxis make these runs every day and will stop in all of the popular beaches to pick up folks for the return. St Thomas is very easy to get around on your own and there is absolutely no reason to take an excursion through the cruise line unless it's the only way to take that excursion.

No entrance fee at any beaches except for Magens and Smith's Bay which do charge a fee. On a 3-ship day Sapphire or even Secret Harbor would be a great choice, and the snorkeling is also good there if you want to try that. Both offer better food options than Magens as well.

There is a lot of shopping right at the port when you return if you don't want to take the time to go downtown.

Paradise Point is a nice spot to relax after the beach before returning to the ship. Nice views of the harbor and small cafe where you can enjoy the view. The ship excursions desk usually sells tickets for the aerial tram you can up and down, and you can walk from the tram back to the shopping at Havensight (WICO) and your ship. Just another idea if you want that.

Again, Magens is a popular beach and most of the tours and others like you will head there so it does get crowded and doesn't offer island views or snorkeling, for example. You'd probably enjoy your day there if you don't mind a crowd. You can walk to the far end of the beach to get away from some of the crowd but there are no amenities at that end. So on this day it just makes sense to look at other beaches just as nice but sure to be less crowded. We're more fond of Sapphire because it exudes more character than some other beaches, but any of the beaches would be enjoyable. Just want you to know there are options!

Edited by blue_water

violettewaits: Paranoia will destroy ya! :D First of all, the excursions you get on the cruise ships are regular trips with an added something for the cruise line. You can always do better on your own! Now, sometimes you have to be brave, but if you do your homework, you will get an A+.

On St. Thomas, there are more taxis than there are people. So you don't have to worry about finding one. If you are going somewhere, the driver will see you as his (or her) responsibility for trip. They will likely wait for you and make sure you get back on time.

Magens is a wonderful choice...

Thank you all for the replies. I feel fairly confident that doing this trip without it being ship sponsored will be A-OK!

I think I've just seen waaay to many YouTube videos recently of people missing their cruise ship. :p If I leave Magen's Bay at 1pm, and "All Aboard" is at 5:30p, I think that's more than enough room for error AND time shopping down by the port area. :D

• 4 weeks later...

St. Thomas - Our plan was to to get off of ship and take a taxi into town (which is $4.00 per person) to shop until around noon, since we were in port on a Sunday and the shops close at 1:00 or 2:00 depending on the store, then to get onto another taxi and go to Megan's Bay (which is $8.00 per person one way and $4.00 per person to get onto Megan's Bay) for a few hours and then back to the ship (which is another $8.00 per person, so round trip taxi is $16.00 + $4.00 to enter the beach = $20.00 per person). Our cab driver saw we had towels and told us he would meet us in town at noon after we shopped and bring us to Megan's Bay and pick us back up at Megan's Bay and bring us back to the pier, we gave him a time to pick us up and he came back for us. He didn't charge us the $4.00 to get into town and we paid him when he dropped us off at the end of our day, which was only $16.00 per person round trip. He also insisted we pay him when he brought us back to the ship. When on Megan's Bay lunch cost around $8.00 - $12.00 per person if you'd like. Lounge Chair rentals are $10.00 + deposit but I'm not sure how much that was. Sand chairs were $5.00 with a $5.00 deposit. Snorkel mask and tube were $9.00 with a $20.00 deposit, fins are extra. I heard someone say if you pay cash you get all of your deposits back, charge cards I'm not sure how they work. I did see paddle boats, paddle boards and a few other water toys at the end of the beach. There are showers and bathrooms and plenty of shade.

Pay It Forward. Be kind.

• 2 years later...

Meagans bay was pretty well wiped out ! There are 2 buildings left standing but only shells. The beach as of a week ago was in very bad shape . You can go on You Tube and look and that will give you a pretty good idea ! The real problem will be getting around the island. We will be there in Dec and plan on just hanging in town and seeing some friends that we know. They have been telling us what has been going on and it has not been pretty. The town itself and docks will be in decent shape but do not expect much else! I think the cruise lines our pushing to get $ back into the island a little too quickly. This will be our last port on our cruise so it is no big deal. Have a good time !

• 3 weeks later...

Magens opened yesterday for the visit by Adventure of the Seas. There has been a great effort to clean up several of the beaches. It may be different from what you remember, with fewer trees, but they have brought in umbrellas for shade. ;)

P.S. Every day things are changing and improving. You cannot judge what it will be like in January or even in two weeks by what is going on right now.

With regard to walking off ship and catching a taxi to your chosen beach, how can you organise the return cab ride to stop at paradise point to get some views? Is it worth booking a private driver and if so which ones ante still working and recommended?

• 2 months later...