Laptop computer or tablet for Antarctica?

ReturnCruiser

We're traveling with Quark on a "Fly the Drake" trip in January. This means that we have some significant carry-on luggage weight restrictions on the flights (10 lbs). I'm currently debating whether to bring my tablet or laptop computer. The primary advantage of the laptop is the ability to edit some photos while onboard. I do plan to bring my portable Colorspace backup drive (512GB drive) for CF and SD card backup purposes.

For past Antarctica travelers, what technology did you bring and why?

The number of images I have been able to edit while on board in the past has been minimal. I've found better things to do, like being outside amassing even more images!

If you have weight issues, then I would take whichever device is lighter as you have backup available with the Colorspace.

Same experience here. I brought my laptop because that's all I have, but I had very little use for it on board (because very little time!) except for picture storage and short internet use during sea days. I used it mostly before and after the cruise in BA. So I'd say bring the lighter one and/or the one you are more comfortable with (or even none at all since you already have a backup solution and no sea days).

Edited by SarniaLo

I take my 13in MacBook Air and download all photos from all camera daily (if not twice daily in between landings).

I back up to two different external 1TB drives.

While I often think I may do editing - the most I end up doing is scanning for the best shots of the day to submit to ship contests during the trip and to the passenger dvd. And flagging any of fellow passengers that I want to give to them.

Handy also to take a small usb to do on the go photo sharing with each other.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice. After debating the pros/cons, I decided to take the 11 inch laptop for the greater ease of photo sharing. Plus, its a little better at post-Antarctic blog updates when we visit Argentina.

Bob

Good choice. We had a two day Drake crossing so plenty of time to do a first culing of photos and do some editing.