Re-boarding CCL ship at Caribbean port with knife?

PaperSniper4

I collect small pocket knives as a hobby, and always carry one except when flying or otherwise prohibited. I'm a southern boy; it's who we are. :cool: I believe a day has never gone by when I didn't need my pocket knife for something, whether slicing a lime or cutting a loose thread on my clothing.

I read that CCL does not prohibit a knife with a blade under 4 inches: from their web site ..."• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches...". Now I should state that I have been cruising for 30 yrs and never had a problem with having a knife with me but once: I pack a Swiss Army "Camper" model knife in my checked bags (it has a useful wine and bottle opener), a tiny Swiss Army "classic" model in my checked shaving kit (finger file and tiny scissors), and a pocket knife. My pocket knives have blades nywhere from 1.5 to 2.75 inches. However, I do not always carry a small pocket knife off/on the ship while in port. I do occasionally as it's a habit to put one in my pocket as I get dressed. I would like to take my pocket knife ashore and I don't want it to be confiscated when I again come aboard.

I have only had problems reboarding a cruise ship once with a pocket knife but that was not Carnival. And that knife's blade was probably a bit over 3 inches.

I wonder if anyone has more knowledge of any reboading the ship issues with a pocket knife. CCL's web site doesn't have much on that other that the quote above which is located HERE.

For those of you who are fellow collectors, you know that there is a plethora of rules and laws about pocket knives, including that some knife are prohibited if their open blade locks, etc. I have no idea about CCL's policy, but I suspect if I'm legal to bring a knife onboard at the cruise start, I can reboard with it. I do, however, plan on printing a carry the page linked above to show some over zealous "scanner" at the end of the gangway!:cool:

If they should decided to detain it, it will be tagged for you and you can reclaim it before debarkation. EM

Is this a fact? or a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)

People have reported that their Ulu knives they bought in Alaska were confiscated and not returned.

If they should decided to detain it, it will be tagged for you and you can reclaim it before debarkation. EM

Well yes, but that's not my concern. I use the knife while on board, and would also like to have that option ashore. I'm not worried about not getting the knife back as I only take an inexpensive pocket knife on the cruises.

Doug

I would suggest posing this question to John Heald on his blog or the other forum created by Mark Zuckerberg where he answers questions quicker. He is offline until after Christmas, so pose the questions on that other forum if you have a log in....or on his blog.....

I would suggest posing this question to John Heald on his blog or the other forum created by Mark Zuckerberg where he answers questions quicker. He is offline until after Christmas, so pose the questions on that other forum if you have a log in....or on his blog.....

John's opinion will not be relevant to the security officials manning the check in.

I take my pocket knife on board and on shore without a issue, it's a Yankee thing. :D

Thanks. Looking at your signature you have cruised a lot also, so your comment is appreciated!

Question though: what size pocket knife? Mine will be a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 or a Byrd Robin 2; both of which have a lockable blade just under 2.5 inches. I do not anticipate a problem, but it's always good to hear from someone who has experience. I have left my knife on board several times when I wished later I'd had it with me.

Doug

Well yes, but that's not my concern. I use the knife while on board, and would also like to have that option ashore. I'm not worried about not getting the knife back as I only take an inexpensive pocket knife on the cruises.

Doug

all we need is 3000 people on board with a knife in their pocket

I collect small pocket knives as a hobby, and always carry one except when flying or otherwise prohibited. I'm a southern boy; it's who we are. :cool: I believe a day has never gone by when I didn't need my pocket knife for something, whether slicing a lime or cutting a loose thread on my clothing.

I read that CCL does not prohibit a knife with a blade under 4 inches: from their web site ..."• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches...". Now I should state that I have been cruising for 30 yrs and never had a problem with having a knife with me but once: I pack a Swiss Army "Camper" model knife in my checked bags (it has a useful wine and bottle opener), a tiny Swiss Army "classic" model in my checked shaving kit (finger file and tiny scissors), and a pocket knife. My pocket knives have blades nywhere from 1.5 to 2.75 inches. However, I do not always carry a small pocket knife off/on the ship while in port. I do occasionally as it's a habit to put one in my pocket as I get dressed. I would like to take my pocket knife ashore and I don't want it to be confiscated when I again come aboard.

I have only had problems reboarding a cruise ship once with a pocket knife but that was not Carnival. And that knife's blade was probably a bit over 3 inches.

I wonder if anyone has more knowledge of any reboading the ship issues with a pocket knife. CCL's web site doesn't have much on that other that the quote above which is located HERE.

For those of you who are fellow collectors, you know that there is a plethora of rules and laws about pocket knives, including that some knife are prohibited if their open blade locks, etc. I have no idea about CCL's policy, but I suspect if I'm legal to bring a knife onboard at the cruise start, I can reboard with it. I do, however, plan on printing a carry the page linked above to show some over zealous "scanner" at the end of the gangway!:cool:

I carry a locking blade under 3 inches in my back pack, never a problem, it is my pill cutter.

You must not be from Hampton Roads. Someone is shot every day.

One can always point to a specific local as a data point (cherry picking data) to make a counterpoint. Another data point outlayer would be Norfolk. 😳

An accurate approach is to look at a state in its entirety to see the full effects of its policies.

JKrise

When my family went on our last cruise my DH forgot he had his small pocket knife in his pocket and started to panic but the security guard joked with us and said "we aren't royal Caribbean, you can bring it on board." As far as I know he always had it in his pocket when we left the ship and never had any problems getting on or off with it. I think you should be fine.

Edited by rmh661983

Knives can be a hit or miss thing. Federal law prohibits carrying Gravity Knives and Switchblades, no exception. In the past any type of blade would be seized if you attempted to board a plan. If you pack on carry a knife you should have to expect that it may be termed contraband and seized, hopefully to be returned at the end of the cruise.

One question, wouldn't one knife be sufficient?

When my family went on our last cruise my DH forgot he had his small pocket knife in his pocket and started to panic but the security guard joked with us and said "we aren't royal Caribbean, you can bring it on board." As far as I know he always had it in his pocket when we left the ship and never had any problems getting on or off with it. I think you should be fine.

Interesting. From that comment I'd assume RCI's regulations on pocket knives must be stricter. I've not sailed on RCI for years, but probably will in the next couple of years just for variation. I'll be sure to check their rules carefully. Thanks.