Gratuities on a long cruise Auto or No?

sawtooth

If you are on a long voyage of 30+ days (or many b2bs) do you leave the auto tip on or remove it and tip as you see fit.

We have always left auto tip on for our cruises but wondered if others do it differently on the more lengthly cruises

We are not trying to short change anyone but just wondered.

Also, is the cabin steward aware of wether or not you are auto tipping?

We always leave the auto tip on, no matter the cruise. We have been on 49+ days and did not remove the tip. They work hard and deserve it. If you feel someone did something special, then give a little extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are on a long voyage of 30+ days (or many b2bs) do you leave the auto tip on or remove it and tip as you see fit.

We have always left auto tip on for our cruises but wondered if others do it differently on the more lengthly cruises

Why would a long cruise be any different then a short cruise as far as tipping?

Yes staff would know who removes the auto tip.

Good grief! I never meant to give the impression that we wouldn't be compensating the ship crew. I had been reading some reviews of Austral/Asia cruises and it seems to be common for the passengers to remove auto-tip. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Good grief! I never meant to give the impression that we wouldn't be compensating the ship crew. I had been reading some reviews of Austral/Asia cruises and it seems to be common for the passengers to remove auto-tip. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Popcorn time ...

We have been on a number of month long cruises, both single and b2b's. We always leave the hotel charge (auto-tip) in place plus we provide additional cash grats. at the end of our voyage. Leaving the auto-tip in place assures that ALL those that provide for your enjoyment are properly compensated. For example, I don't know how one could ever figure out what amounts and which waiters to tip in the buffet area. The auto tip takes care of this for you.

I do 30 day + cruises... and always leave the auto tip in place Really I consider it part of the fare just like port and tax fees. You accept it as such plain and simple.

Yes your stewards will be notified if you stop it and you get red flagged.

For the most part, it is.

(beg3yrs, please pass the popcorn :) )

The cruise industry, including Princess, does their passengers a disservice by calling it an "auto-tip" program. It is s supplement wage charge and should be rolled into the basic cost of the cruise. Cruises sailing from Australia & New Zealand include the auto-tip amount in the basic cost of the cruise because "tipping" isn't a part of the culture. The theory being that workers are paid a decent wage up front and provide a decent level of service without the "tip carrot". The Brits seem to share the same view.

When we shop a cruise, we assume the daily auto-tip/hotel charge/service charge are part of the basic price of the cruise.

No difference between a 2- or 32-day cruise. The cabin steward will still clean your cabin, refresh everything and make up your bed 2x a day. The waitstaff in the dining room will still take your order and serve you. The buffet staff will still clean the tables and bring you hot and cold beverages and food if requested.

If you remove the auto-tip and tip directly, that goes right into the tipping pool so you aren't really tipping them. It's kind of a tease and in the long run, short changes the staff who help you the most.

It's often a cultural thing if someone removes the auto-tip but they're ignoring the "when in Rome" advice. As long as the onboard currency on the ship is in US$, US customs are followed. That includes tipping.

:) Pam

From the Princess website ...

"To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis."

It should be quite clear to anyone with a basic understanding of English that "per day" means each and every day ... :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

Why didn't you do a CC search. This has been discussed to DEATH!

Chocolate Chip cookies are on the way.

I do 30 day + cruises... and always leave the auto tip in place Really I consider it part of the fare just like port and tax fees. You accept it as such plain and simple.

Yes your stewards will be notified if you stop it and you get red flagged.

Personally I don't care if you leave the auto tip in place or not, or if you accept it as part of the cruise fare.

But what happens if you get red flagged?:confused:

Yes leave the auto tip in place.... In reality it is like Port charges and Tax its one amount that can be considered part of the cruise fare. Princess does this to make the advertised price the lowest possible. Like buying a car you pay the list price doesn't not include tax, trans,licence, delivery etc....

And yes, if you pull the auto tip you get flagged and your service staff ALL know about it.

Yes leave the auto tip in place.... In reality it is like Port charges and Tax its one amount that can be considered part of the cruise fare. Princess does this to make the advertised price the lowest possible. Like buying a car you pay the list price doesn't not include tax, trans,licence, delivery etc....

And yes, if you pull the auto tip you get flagged and your service staff ALL know about it.

So what does the crew do to you when you are flagged for removing the auto tip?

Maybe the crew should be allowed to do less work on longer cruises too.

The longer the cruise, the less towels you get replaced.

I wish they just add tips to total cruise costs, then this discussion would never come up, again, and again, and again.

The crew doesn't know who removed the auto tip. Those that say they do are using scare tactics to influence you to their way of tipping. I leave the auto tips intact unless there is a good reason to alter them. You need to do as you see fit and not what a bunch of strangers tell you to do.

The crew doesn't know who removed the auto tip. Those that say they do are using scare tactics to influence you to their way of tipping. I leave the auto tips intact unless there is a good reason to alter them. You need to do as you see fit and not what a bunch of strangers tell you to do.

Well said, I agree with you, and I also leave the auto tip on unless there is a reason to remove it. I always find it interesting how so many on this forum don't suggest how you tip, but that you must tip, and tip the way they do.

I'm still waiting for the one poster to respond what the crew will do to you after you have been flagged for removing the tip.;)

I'm still waiting for the one poster to respond what the crew will do to you after you have been flagged for removing the tip.;)

They take you down into the engine room and make you shovel coal into the boilers...sheesh, everyone knows this... :rolleyes::D

I wish they just add tips to total cruise costs, then this discussion would never come up, again, and again, and again.
More convenient for you but the staff would take home less. There are several reasons why the tip isn't included except for cruises sailing in Australia.

:) Pam