Gratuities on a long cruise Auto or No?

sawtooth

Pam in CA

Okay, so now I am curious. Our cruise is in Australia, originating in Sydney. Does that mean that the gratuity has been included in the cruise fare? Maybe that is why I read that so many cut off the auto gratuity.

if you're cruising on the Diamond Princess out of Sydney in march you will have to pay the gratuities still and the currency will still be US

when the Diamond & Golden come back to Sydney in october 2015 the gratuities will be included in the fare for aussies and the currency will be AUD

If you are on a long voyage of 30+ days (or many b2bs) do you leave the auto tip on or remove it and tip as you see fit.

We have always left auto tip on for our cruises but wondered if others do it differently on the more lengthly cruises

We are not trying to short change anyone but just wondered.

Also, is the cabin steward aware of wether or not you are auto tipping?

They will just charge your account on each sector. If the cruise is being sold as many other cruises in the 30 day cruise period on every major change over day your account will be billed and you will be issued a new cruise card.

I was on Golden Princess last year around South America from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. In Santiago they billed the account and gave a new cruise card despite the cruise being booked as one full cruise.

The crew doesn't know who removed the auto tip. Those that say they do are using scare tactics to influence you to their way of tipping. I leave the auto tips intact unless there is a good reason to alter them. You need to do as you see fit and not what a bunch of strangers tell you to do.

Totally agree......."the red flagging" is a cruise critic myth.....nothing happens...:)

So what does the crew do to you when you are flagged for removing the auto tip?

Officialy nothing..... But just use your imagination... if some one stiffed you part of your wages??? Hmmm. Maybe you might want to take your toothbrush with you .... it might go visiting places where the sun don't shine.... !!! So many ways, so little time.

Now, Ships with Australian origin and return who use the Australian dollar on board and have tips included, will try to bill non Australians, like Americans the $11.50 a day..... in addition !!!! I am on such a cruise and was warned by Australian friends to watch your back. they will also stick you with 1.5% surcharge for using a credit card.... Princess plays cards with different rules...sort of like liars poker.

watch your bill and back...whe you book from the US

Officialy nothing..... But just use your imagination... if some one stiffed you part of your wages??? Hmmm. Maybe you might want to take your toothbrush with you .... it might go visiting places where the sun don't shine.... !!! So many ways, so little time.

You really reached for that one, didn't you? So you really don't know, and I don't think that you know if the pursers office notifies the crew that a passenger removed the auto-tip.

Where did you find the info that the crew is notified of an auto tip removal??:confused:

But if by a slim chance you are correct with the toothbrush threat, why not just remove the auto tip on the day you leave the ship, and the crew won't have the opportunity to retaliate against a passenger.;)

You really reached for that one, didn't you? So you really don't know, and I don't think that you know if the pursers office notifies the crew that a passenger removed the auto-tip.

Where did you find the info that the crew is notified of an auto tip removal??:confused:

But if by a slim chance you are correct with the toothbrush threat, why not just remove the auto tip on the day you leave the ship, and the crew won't have the opportunity to retaliate against a passenger.;)

That yes folks who pull their tips are communicated to the people who serve. at least on Holland America, and since its all the same company...I would suspect things are the same

That yes folks who pull their tips are communicated to the people who serve. at least on Holland America, and since its all the same company...I would suspect things are the same. Its a small family on a ship and word has a way of getting around Usualy it has been my experience that you have to take or make modifications to your bill... several days in advance. I don't think you can do it the last morning.

That yes folks who pull their tips are communicated to the people who serve. at least on Holland America, and since its all the same company...I would suspect things are the same

It is the same on Princess, HK/F&B supervisors are given the list and its posted for the crew to see. I have seen this posting a couple of times. It is investigated with the crewmember to see if there was anything in particular that caused them to be removed.

They take you down into the engine room and make you shovel coal into the boilers...sheesh, everyone knows this... :rolleyes::D

Yep! And there is a wall with all the pictures of those who took off the auto tips and they throw darts at them!

Now, Ships with Australian origin and return who use the Australian dollar on board and have tips included, will try to bill non Australians, like Americans the $11.50 a day..... in addition !!!! I am on such a cruise and was warned by Australian friends to watch your back. they will also stick you with 1.5% surcharge for using a credit card.... Princess plays cards with different rules...sort of like liars poker.

watch your bill and back...whe you book from the US

if the Americans or anyone else that has to pay the gratuities on an australian ship they might be paying a cheaper fare than the aussies booking with a local agent so they should be paying the gratuities

• 1 month later...

When you tipped in cash the crew were much happier because this did not reflect in there income and they had it to send to they families at the end of the cruise. Now that they have the auto tipping system the crew do not receive any cash but must wait to collect their paycheck every 2 weeks and all the income must now be declared. The company love this because they get to handle millions of dollars and retain this money, and there is an internal charge to the staff for the handling this money. In the end the ones who lose are the crew members...in the end they get less money in there pockets. (remember that you pay with your credit card...VISA/MC/AA all charge fees to the companies, you didn't think that they were just going to pass on the $11.50 to the crew....did you...sure after a 5% handling fee...at least. If each ship bills $12,000,000 per years in tips they stand to make $600,000)

There is no list to who pre pays or not and most crew have no idea until they get paid how many people removed the auto tip or even adjusted the amount...for every person that removes the auto tip they is another that actually increases the amount...because you can make changes right up to 2 days before the cruise ends there is no way for the crew to know who paid what...this would be a breach of privacy anyways. Your account is very private and only a few have access to this info, and your room steward is not one of them!

You might have noticed that since this new tipping system some very good crew members have left these companies...its because they took a big cut in pay. But its better you the passenger...more convenient!

These types gestures to make things easier/convenient by these huge corporations are never to make things better for the crew member...its to have more control over the passenger and the crew member...

Oh and this way it looks like the ship makes more money too...all that revenue that they bill you for tips goes on someone's books... on average a large 3000 passenger ship on a 7 day cruise will generate almost $230,000 in tips (this does not include the 15% on drinks/wine/ice cream etc.) per sailing...that's $12 Million a year per ship....in tips....

You might have noticed that since this new tipping system some very good crew members have left these companies...its because they took a big cut in pay. But its better you the passenger...more convenient!

No, I have not noticed that.

Gotta be a better way. Virtual cookies don't work. ;)

Pretty good cookies on Princess. I seem to recall reading that you have some special ones you buy on shore at certain ports though...

Edited by Thrak

I do 30 day + cruises... and always leave the auto tip in place Really I consider it part of the fare just like port and tax fees. You accept it as such plain and simple.

Yes your stewards will be notified if you stop it and you get red flagged.

Really?Red Flagged!Are you certain?Staff members that earn a gratuity shall receive a gratuity and those that don't,won't!I'm not a believer of the auto tipping program.I believe staff members may become lazy when the assumption is "I get a gratuity...regardless"

When you tipped in cash the crew were much happier because this did not reflect in there income and they had it to send to they families at the end of the cruise. Now that they have the auto tipping system the crew do not receive any cash but must wait to collect their paycheck every 2 weeks and all the income must now be declared. The company love this because they get to handle millions of dollars and retain this money, and there is an internal charge to the staff for the handling this money. In the end the ones who lose are the crew members...in the end they get less money in there pockets. (remember that you pay with your credit card...VISA/MC/AA all charge fees to the companies, you didn't think that they were just going to pass on the $11.50 to the crew....did you...sure after a 5% handling fee...at least. If each ship bills $12,000,000 per years in tips they stand to make $600,000)

There is no list to who pre pays or not and most crew have no idea until they get paid how many people removed the auto tip or even adjusted the amount...for every person that removes the auto tip they is another that actually increases the amount...because you can make changes right up to 2 days before the cruise ends there is no way for the crew to know who paid what...this would be a breach of privacy anyways. Your account is very private and only a few have access to this info, and your room steward is not one of them!

These types gestures to make things easier/convenient by these huge corporations are never to make things better for the crew member...its to have more control over the passenger and the crew member...

Oh and this way it looks like the ship makes more money too...all that revenue that they bill you for tips goes on someone's books... on average a large 3000 passenger ship on a 7 day cruise will generate almost $230,000 in tips (this does not include the 15% on drinks/wine/ice cream etc.) per sailing...that's $12 Million a year per ship....in tips....

I'd like to see your calculations showing how the cruise line makes $600,000 on these tips.

Well said, I agree with you, and I also leave the auto tip on unless there is a reason to remove it. I always find it interesting how so many on this forum don't suggest how you tip, but that you must tip, and tip the way they do.

I'm still waiting for the one poster to respond what the crew will do to you after you have been flagged for removing the tip.;)

Yes, the staff knows who removes the tips...their superiors question why tips were removed and what problems there were.

Trust me, many of the staff keep track of names. We have had waiters who we had gotten years later and remembered us and what wine I drank at dinner. You know that saying about bad reviews they travel much quicker than the good ones.

We have done 30+ days and left the auto tips on and also gave extra tips to everyone. The most to our room steward as he does the most for us. We eat in the dining room at night. At lunch, we leave extra tip in the dining room to the staff there, or if we do room service. Hate the buffet.

We would never go on vacation if we could not afford to tip extra. We cut back on a lot during the year to save up for the trip...and we feel good about our decision. We would never want someone not to tip us if we were cleaning there room, etc. Sometimes it is nice to walk in someone else's shoes. These people work very hard. I know I wouldn't do all they do for the money they make.

One thing I am curious about, maybe a myth, if you remove tips I read somewhere anyone you tipped in cash had to put that cash into the pool. If that is true then at least by the end of the cruise they would have to tell the staff who removed tips so they would know to put the money in the pool, right? Like I said maybe they can keep any cash given to them and what I read is not true.

One thing I am curious about, maybe a myth, if you remove tips I read somewhere anyone you tipped in cash had to put that cash into the pool. If that is true then at least by the end of the cruise they would have to tell the staff who removed tips so they would know to put the money in the pool, right? Like I said maybe they can keep any cash given to them and what I read is not true.

If someone is caught keeping cash tips and not claiming them, they are released. That is why they note the table/room number on the envelopes. Any tips they get from people who took their tips off have to go into the pool, so actually, they don't get all of the tip you give them. There is an honor system on board regarding tips.