Live from Quantum of the Seas - 3 Jan

Hi everyone, thanks for following along. First a little about us. My wife and I have cruised about 9 times previously (7 with RC and 2 with NCL). Our favorite ships prior to this were Allure and Breakaway/Getaway from NCL. Now on to Quantum!

We arrived at Cape Liberty cruise port about 11:30 AM and found traffic backed up as you approach the terminal. Having been here before, we knew about driving around in front of the terminal to drop off bags. So, we were able to bypass the long wait of traffic and get into the parking lot rather quickly (maybe 15 minutes of waiting until I could see a way around the traffic). You have to look for a left turn as you head towards the ship. When you first arrive, you are heading parallel to the ship. We parked (8 night parking is about $170) and dragged our bags over to the terminal. I checked in the big bag while my wife went in the terminal and found one of the famous "blue shirt" staff members right away. Several were available and there were many passengers moving around in the terminal. We completed the precheck on line and had everything printed out ahead of time. By the time I arrived at my wife's side, the staff member already had our pictures loaded on her tablet and was scanning passports. We received the infamous green stamp and were asked if we had picked up a boarding number. We hadn't, so she got us one but it didn't seem to make any difference later on. We went right up to security and went right through with no line at all. Went right to the ship's entry point and right on to the ship - just as advertised - about 10 minutes from parking lot to on the ship.

First impression was WOW! The ship is new and the layout of the Esplanade is exceptional. You enter on deck 5. We took our carryon bags straight back to Café 270 and found the place nearly deserted. It filled up as we ate and looked around. Many folks were heading up to the Windjammer. I believe Park Café was open as well. We then headed to our rooms a little early to find a folio on the wall beside the door with a seapass card in it. It opened our door and there we found the RFID bands and the other seapass card on the bed.

Room is outstanding with much more storage than we are used to having. Much bigger as well. Oddly, the thermostat adjusts in tenth of a degree increments so one must hit it ten times to adjust the temperature 1 single degree. Bathroom is spacious and shower is REALLY big! Soap was provided at the sink and in the shower. We went up to the windjammer and found it crowded but picked up some fresh baked cookies right away. We decided to stop by the pasta station too! I really like the new layout of the windjammer. The desserts are off to the sides on both sides to alleviate traffic at the main stations. There is an outside area at the rear that couldn't be used today with snow flurries but we're looking forward to it at a later date. We went up to seaplex to register for iFly - they let you register for a single time period for free. If you want to go again, you need to pay for it. We're going up on day 4 so we'll let you know how that is. I have to admit the seaplex seemed a little chaotic with the bumper cars going and there appeared to be several stations where one could sign up for various things. I think we were fortunate we happened to find a line that was for iFly.

Not sure why we have free wifi but I'm guessing its because of all the bad press Quantum has been getting. I'm off to watch my Steelers right now so I'll tell you about dinner later. Frankly, I have no idea what everyone else is talking about. This ship is amazing!

Hi everyone, thanks for following along. First a little about us. My wife and I have cruised about 9 times previously (7 with RC and 2 with NCL). Our favorite ships prior to this were Allure and Breakaway/Getaway from NCL. Now on to Quantum!

We arrived at Cape Liberty cruise port about 11:30 AM and found traffic backed up as you approach the terminal. Having been here before, we knew about driving around in front of the terminal to drop off bags. So, we were able to bypass the long wait of traffic and get into the parking lot rather quickly (maybe 15 minutes of waiting until I could see a way around the traffic). You have to look for a left turn as you head towards the ship. When you first arrive, you are heading parallel to the ship. We parked (8 night parking is about $170) and dragged our bags over to the terminal. I checked in the big bag while my wife went in the terminal and found one of the famous "blue shirt" staff members right away. Several were available and there were many passengers moving around in the terminal. We completed the precheck on line and had everything printed out ahead of time. By the time I arrived at my wife's side, the staff member already had our pictures loaded on her tablet and was scanning passports. We received the infamous green stamp and were asked if we had picked up a boarding number. We hadn't, so she got us one but it didn't seem to make any difference later on. We went right up to security and went right through with no line at all. Went right to the ship's entry point and right on to the ship - just as advertised - about 10 minutes from parking lot to on the ship.

First impression was WOW! The ship is new and the layout of the Esplanade is exceptional. You enter on deck 5. We took our carryon bags straight back to Café 270 and found the place nearly deserted. It filled up as we ate and looked around. Many folks were heading up to the Windjammer. I believe Park Café was open as well. We then headed to our rooms a little early to find a folio on the wall beside the door with a seapass card in it. It opened our door and there we found the RFID bands and the other seapass card on the bed.

Room is outstanding with much more storage than we are used to having. Much bigger as well. Oddly, the thermostat adjusts in tenth of a degree increments so one must hit it ten times to adjust the temperature 1 single degree. Bathroom is spacious and shower is REALLY big! Soap was provided at the sink and in the shower. We went up to the windjammer and found it crowded but picked up some fresh baked cookies right away. We decided to stop by the pasta station too! I really like the new layout of the windjammer. The desserts are off to the sides on both sides to alleviate traffic at the main stations. There is an outside area at the rear that couldn't be used today with snow flurries but we're looking forward to it at a later date. We went up to seaplex to register for iFly - they let you register for a single time period for free. If you want to go again, you need to pay for it. We're going up on day 4 so we'll let you know how that is. I have to admit the seaplex seemed a little chaotic with the bumper cars going and there appeared to be several stations where one could sign up for various things. I think we were fortunate we happened to find a line that was for iFly.

Not sure why we have free wifi but I'm guessing its because of all the bad press Quantum has been getting. I'm off to watch my Steelers right now so I'll tell you about dinner later. Frankly, I have no idea what everyone else is talking about. This ship is amazing!

Thanks for taking the time from your vacation to do this.

gc

Guest maddycat
Frankly, I have no idea what everyone else is talking about. This ship is amazing!

So glad that you find the ship amazing. Looking forward to your review.

You already gained 3 lbs.

Thank u so much for the info , likewise we r travelling TA boarding on May 2nd, & was getting worries about all the negative reviews! May I ask for review on DO cabins , obstructed view, we r on Deck 6 & was wondering how r the rooms! Enjoy & can't wait to hear more from u!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking forward to you impressions of Dynamic Dining.

They had our reservation, they have our reservations for the rest of the week (all made in advance about 2 to 3 months ago) and we were seated promptly. (You can check your reservations on the RoyalIQ app or on your stateroom TV). My opinion of DD is that if I were on vacation in a city, I wouldn't go to the same restaurant every night unless I really liked something on the menu. So, DD is like trying a different rest. every night of your vacation. If you find one you like, you can stay with it (albeit it may be difficult to make a reservation). I'll write a review of our dining at the Grande later.

Thank u so much for the info , likewise we r travelling TA boarding on May 2nd, & was getting worries about all the negative reviews! May I ask for review on DO cabins , obstructed view, we r on Deck 6 & was wondering how r the rooms! Enjoy & can't wait to hear more from u!

There are some posted pictures on the Obstructed view cabins that may help you. We had a 75% obstructed view, cabin 6226. We were able to see some of the ocean to the left and the loungers they had out on Deck 5 below. Some obstructed rooms we passed had good views of the ocean, check out the pictures in the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44812956#post44812956

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Our reservation was for 6:15 made about 3 months ago. We arrived a little early and had to wait maybe 1 minute while a large party (approximately 10) were seated in front of us. We were asked our stateroom number which was checked on a tablet. For some reason, our pictures did not appear on the tablet but that didn't stop them from seating us.

Service: We were seated at a table for two and had water on our table and bread within 10 minutes of being seated. From what I could tell, our waiter was working at least 6 tables. He had an assistant who tended to clearing tables, filling water and bringing supplies for coffee, etc. Our waiter, Alexander, was cheerful and attentive and engaging. Most of the tables he was serving were at the same point in their meal (e.g .we were all ordering or getting dessert at the same time) but some were at different stages from what I could tell. All guests were brought a complimentary small glass of champagne compliments of The Grande to celebrate our sailing. We ordered our starters and main course and enjoined some nearby tablemates in conversation. Starters arrived maybe 20-25 minutes after seating. Our main course was brought out as ordered about 45-50 minutes after initial seating. After having the table cleared by the assistant, dessert was served and we departed approximately 90 minutes after initial arrival. It has been my experience that is about average for an MDR dinner timeframe.

FOOD: My wife had shrimp cocktail and arugula salad for starter with me opting for the chicken noodle soup. My wife, who never has any qualms about sending food back or commenting on it, thought her starters were well prepared and delicious. I had Salmon for main course while wife had Lobster tail. Wife says, "Best lobster I've ever had." My salmon was okay - served with couscous that was a little sticky but tasted good. Dessert was German Chocolate cake with coconut ice cream, chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream and a "Napoleon something" which is like a crème puff with fruit garnish. Coffee was served during dessert as well. Everything was very tasty and my wife said the coffee was REAL good.

Additional thoughts: The room itself is beautiful with excellent furnishings and good atmosphere as well as fine dishes and silverware. Although you are close enough to nearby tables to enjoin them in conversation should you choose, you can also isolate yourself from nearby conversations enough to enjoy a romantic dinner. Also, while this is supposed to be a formal attire enforced venue, for tonight at least, there were several gentlemen without jackets and several ladies in jeans and shirts. That doesn't bother me, I just mention it because the cruise compass specifically states formal attire is required here and others have mentioned jackets are required. While we were dining, I noticed several empty tables in the vicinity and when we left (around 7:30-ish) there was no line outside of Grande or Chic which is directly across from it.

Game is on in-room television, on the big screen at the pool deck and we were watching in Schooner bar. May be different at Thanksgiving.

Hi,

Thanks for your live report. If you get a chance can you find out where they plan on showing the Super Bowl on a big screen? It is on the last night of our sailing just before getting back to Bayonne so it will be too cold to watch on the big screen by the outdoor pool.

Maybe they will show it in the theater since it is watched by everyone.

Anyway, if you can ask, that would be great.

Thank you.

Also, while this is supposed to be a formal attire enforced venue, for tonight at least, there were several gentlemen without jackets and several ladies in jeans and shirts. That doesn't bother me, I just mention it because the cruise compass specifically states formal attire is required here and others have mentioned jackets are required.

The attire rules are relaxed on embarkation day.

If you hear the info, could you post the number of guests on board? Thanks.

We took our carryon bags straight back to Café 270 and found the place nearly deserted. It filled up as we ate and looked around. Many folks were heading up to the Windjammer. I believe Park Café was open as well.

I don't think so, since Quantum does not have a Park Cafe.

I suppose you could think of it this way: Quantum has the Two70 Cafe INSTEAD OF the Park Cafe.

:)

We've had obstructed view cabins before but never near as bad as the one we had on the Quantum deck 6. Some pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142561

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am so glad to hear some positive things. We are sailing at the end of January and am worried win might of made the wrong choice with going on the Quantum. We will be on board for the Super Bowl so my kids will be interested in watching the game.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just came off the Quantum a week ago - and I still have to make a trip report! But wanted to tell you and everyone else that Jamie's Italian restaurant was hands down the best all around on our cruise - so make sure to eat there. Even lunch there was a line for stand by seating (they do not take reservations for lunch) and get there 20-30 min before they open as a long line develops before they start serving- at least on our cruise! Servers and even our concierge said that they should have made that restaurant much bigger due to the popularity of Jamies. Make sure you get the the charcuterie platters as an appetizer they are huge and fun for your table! Also the pasta is made in house and you can really taste the freshness which is unusual on a shipboard restaurant (btw, for lunch most of the menu is the same - although the truffle pasta dish is not available)!! :)