St. Croix Local

drake2014

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

Good Day Darrin,

I communicated with you on another thread recently. I told you I was looling for a tour which would accomodate tourists with walking issues and that we were looking for a sightseeing tour. On Cruise Critic revie of St. Croixe Port it mentions for History Lovers: St. Croix Island Highlights, a 3 to 4 hour excursion. How/Where would one book this excursion? I also read of a Heritage Trail 72 mile driving tour which connects of historic sites and attractions. As I told you in previous posts elsewhere, we would like a tour of your island showing us the highlights and then would like to enjoy an island lunch before returning to The Constellation.

I am able to find many high energy, water activities and jeep rides but have not had a lot of success finding activities for SUPER SENIOR CITIEZENS who still want to travel and see your island. More HELP and guidance needed.

Thanks again,

Grace

Are the "beer" drinking pigs far from the pier and are they open in the afternoons a Sunday?

Quite a ride up into the rain forest in a taxi yes but it's beautiful scenery and you will enjoy it. Technically they are open every day but the best idea is to ask the taxi driver before you even head that way if it's open. Norma (the owner) has been spending a lot of time off island recently and I've heard the club isn't always open when it should be.

It's called the Montpellier Domino Club by the way.

Thanks for the info on the taxi to cruzan rum factory. We are a group of 7 that will be coming to St. Croix for the second time. The first time we snorkeled Buck island, tour thru Royal, so just bused straight there and straight back. Didn't have the chance to see much of the island.

This time we were planning to just play the day by ear. Will be there March 28th. Will there be a taxi that will hold 7 people? price to get to Cruzan?? And is it one way or round trip??

Where else should we stop, just for a short time?? Will have a few elderly with us that will only want to do a couple hours.

And according to everything else you have told us, it sounds like when we come back from Cruzan, we can let the elderly head back to ship and the rest of us, just walk to the beach. Explain what Freedom City Surf is?? Just the name of a beach??

Happy to help! The vast majority of taxis are 15 passenger vans so no trouble there. Should cost about $17 per couple to get to cruzan, one way.

On the way back from Cruzan you may want to swing by the Whim Museum, even if the museum is closed I've always enjoyed strolling through the lovely landscaping outside and relaxing in the shade, there's also a small bar and restaurant there if you need a bite.

Freedom City Surf is a beach bar/paddleboard rental/restaurant/gift shop right on the beach a couple hundred yards from the ship. The friendliest people on island in a great location to sum it up.

Edited by drake2014

Good Day Darrin,

I communicated with you on another thread recently. I told you I was looling for a tour which would accomodate tourists with walking issues and that we were looking for a sightseeing tour. On Cruise Critic revie of St. Croixe Port it mentions for History Lovers: St. Croix Island Highlights, a 3 to 4 hour excursion. How/Where would one book this excursion? I also read of a Heritage Trail 72 mile driving tour which connects of historic sites and attractions. As I told you in previous posts elsewhere, we would like a tour of your island showing us the highlights and then would like to enjoy an island lunch before returning to The Constellation.

I am able to find many high energy, water activities and jeep rides but have not had a lot of success finding activities for SUPER SENIOR CITIEZENS who still want to travel and see your island. More HELP and guidance needed.

Thanks again,

Grace

I'm sorry but accessing those particular posts from my phone isn't possible so I can't speak about them.

I still believe that Sweeney's Safari Tours is the best fit for you and I highly recommend you call them and describe what you are looking for. If they are unable to accommodate you they will know someone who can.

Best of luck!

Do you have any input on Cane Bay beach? I can't seem to find many reviews here on cruise critic, but reviews on a trip Advisor are pretty good. Thanks!

I posted this in another thread about snorkeling but it seems applicable.

I enjoy Cane Bay snorkeling quite a bit! But here's the catch, if you're coming in on a ship the taxi fare is going to cost you $35+ each way. Then you rent your gear, your chair, get food and drinks (Eat @ Cane Bay is FANTASTIC though) and you're looking at a pretty expensive day. If you want to do it it's definitely a great spot, I just don't think it's that much better than the west end.

Overall it's a great place to spend some time and a whole lot of money.

Good Afternoon,

I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Darrin and I live on St. Croix, not too far from the cruise ship pier. I thought that an unbiased local's opinion might be useful to everyone here since I don't work in the tourism industry. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Darrin

A friend recommended Rhythms on Rainbow Beach. Do you know if you can reserve chairs in advance. How is their food

A friend recommended Rhythms on Rainbow Beach. Do you know if you can reserve chairs in advance. How is their food

Not a bad place overall but not one of my usual hangouts. I have no idea about the chairs sorry. The food is exemplary, especially anything fried!

Is St. Croix extremely mountainous like St. Lucia ? Just wondering if the driving will involve twists and turns.....thanks!!

There are plenty of curves and a couple mountains but unless you head up into the rainforest you probably won't see much of that terrain. Frederiksted is laid out in a grid so if you're on a ship that's what you'll see mostly.

Not a bad place overall but not one of my usual hangouts. I have no idea about the chairs sorry. The food is exemplary, especially anything fried!

Anywhere else near cruise port you can suggest to relax at the beach where there is great food, not too crowded. Some shade too.

Anywhere else near cruise port you can suggest to relax at the beach where there is great food, not too crowded. Some shade too.

I've been mulling over this answer all day and I can't make up my mind so I'm just going to give the best advice I can. Every beach on the west end will be somewhat crowded on a cruise ship day, that's just a fact. Even a small boat adds 2000+ people to my sleepy little town. Add in all the locals that hit the beach EVERY Sunday and you can see big crowds.

Freedom City has the best food, drinks, and services, but it will also be the most crowded.

Sandcastle is a little quieter and almost as good but a bit pricey for food, that's where I'll probably be.

Rhythms should be avoided on Sundays unless you really really love LOUD music and jetskis buzzing the beach.

Coconuts doesn't have a very good beach and they don't rent chairs but the food is good.

Turtles is my favorite hidden spot but the deli is closed on Sunday.

I think that covers everything. You'll have to make your own decision from there!

I've been mulling over this a

nswer all day and I can't make up my mind so I'm just going to give the best advice I can. Every beach on the west end will be somewhat crowded on a cruise ship day, that's just a fact. Even a small boat adds 2000+ people to my sleepy little town. Add in all the locals that hit the beach EVERY Sunday and you can see big crowds.

Freedom City has the best food, drinks, and services, but it will also be the most crowded.

Sandcastle is a little quieter and almost as good but a bit pricey for food, that's where I'll probably be.

Rhythms should be avoided on Sundays unless you really really love LOUD music and jetskis buzzing the beach.

Coconuts doesn't have a very good beach and they don't rent chairs but the food is good.

Turtles is my favorite hidden spot but the deli is closed on Sunday.

I think that covers everything. You'll have to make your own decision from there!

Thx for the info. We will be there on Monday, so hopefully less crowded. Is Turtles within walking distances and do they have chairs and umbrellas for rent

Thx for the info. We will be there on Monday, so hopefully less crowded. Is Turtles within walking distances and do they have chairs and umbrellas for rent

No, turtles is a small deli on a hidden little chunk of beach next to the fishing pier. Well within walking distance, plus you'll get to see most of frederiksted. No umbrellas and no beach chairs there, nothing for rent at all. Just great food, friendly people, and quiet.

Now that I know we are talking about a rare Monday ship I can clarify a few things. Freedom City won't be too bad if you really want the rental chairs on the beach thing. The restaurant at Sandcastle will be closed.

Ok, especially if the have the best food and ,especially, drinks. It is closer to the pier than rainbow

Thank you so much for your information - very helpful. We are family of 4 will be there on June 14 from 8-6. If we do the Freedom City Beach first thing in the morning for a couple of hours, (will do SUP, have done in the states) and enjoy the beach, will we have time to do a taxi to Chistiansted and tour the historic area? Or should we just do some sight seeing in Frederiksted? Thanks!

You won't get crowds if you visit in summer during off season. I visited Aruba in Sept one year which is usually the deadest month for the Caribbean, and it was too crowded for my taste. Can't imagine going there during season.

With so many ships going to non-Caribbean destinations in summer, consider taking a relaxing land vacation and enjoying non-crowded attractions.

Ok, especially if the have the best food and ,especially, drinks. It is closer to the pier than rainbow

Much closer than Rainbow. I've posted a map before if you want to scroll back a bit. Basically turn left at the end of the cruise ship pier and walk along the beach a couple hundred yards.

Thank you so much for your information - very helpful. We are family of 4 will be there on June 14 from 8-6. If we do the Freedom City Beach first thing in the morning for a couple of hours, (will do SUP, have done in the states) and enjoy the beach, will we have time to do a taxi to Chistiansted and tour the historic area? Or should we just do some sight seeing in Frederiksted? Thanks!

Sure, the taxi will take about 20 minutes, maybe a half hour, to get you downtown. I prefer Frederiksted (it's my home after all) but there's no reason you can't walk around both towns. Just be aware of the time and you should have no problems.

If we do the Freedom city beach in morning would we have time to go to the Tide Pools? If so, what time should we leave the beach? I have posted another post above. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend trying to squeeze it in. The drive down to the tide pools will take longer than you expect and the ride back even more so.

You'll be better off just hitting the beach and touring the towns.

Thanks for providing your input Drake2014. It is so helpful! We arrive on a Sunday and have a costal pedal bike tour planned, but it does not start until 1pm. We would like to enjoy something between docking at 8 and the start of the excursion. What is there to see and that that is in walking distance? Are there historical landmarks, city parks, etc. Not interested in shopping or the beach. Just want to stroll and see the sights. Also, is there a website that would show us pictures of the port and surrounding things to see?