Shopping prior to boarding Oasis

We will be boarding Oasis in a couple of weeks and fly in from the UK the day before. Royal C are putting us up at the Turnberry Resort prior to transferring us to Fort Lauderdale on the Saturday and I was wondering if there are any stores near or at the terminal where we could buy a few items such as large bottles of water, crisps (aka chips!) etc? There may be something near the resort but we will probably be a little shattered to start hunting about! Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.:)

We will be boarding Oasis in a couple of weeks and fly in from the UK the day before. Royal C are putting us up at the Turnberry Resort prior to transferring us to Fort Lauderdale on the Saturday and I was wondering if there are any stores near or at the terminal where we could buy a few items such as large bottles of water, crisps (aka chips!) etc? There may be something near the resort but we will probably be a little shattered to start hunting about! Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.:)

For the type of shopping that you are planning to do [or any sort of shopping for that matter], there is certainly no shortage of shopping venues in the Aventura area where Turnberry is located... Such items can be readily picked up at grocery chains like Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Whole Foods, at Target, or at a full service pharmacy--they offer much more here than their descriptor implies--like Walgreen's and CVS... All have a presence in Aventura; upon arrival, I'd suggest that you inquire with the resort concierge as to which is most proximate and that you make your purchases before being transferred to Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades on Saturday...

If your transfer is a private rather than a group one, you may ask your driver to accommodate you with a stop in route from the resort to the port [about a twelve mile trip]... Again, there is no shortage of places to make the purchases you want to do but--truth told--the most convenient are likely those closest to your hotel given the route that you are most apt to take...

Port Everglades itself is vast and entry is subject to very tight security [you will likely need to present your cruise documents and a photo ID (in your case, likely your passport) as your driver--who will also have port entry credentials--passes through one of the entry gates]... Once inside the port complex, there are--again out of security considerations [it is the center for arrival, storage, and delivery of virtually all petroleum-based products used from Key West to north of Orlando] , even locals need present photo identification to enter--no shopping or other commercial venues [burt Reynolds' restaurant at the port needed to close post 09/11]... You would need to take a taxi--and again go through security upon return--to do your shopping after you've checked-in/boarded the ship as none of the shops you seek will be closer or more convenient [the airport occupies the port's westerly border] to Terminal 18--where Oasis docks--as those situated near Turnberry... Once at the port, you'd need to go north to Fort Lauderdale's Seventeenth Street Causeway, south to Dania Beach Boulevard, or north/south on Federal Highway; none of those options are particularly walkable and there are few sidewalks inside the very busy port complex...

I've sailed in/out of Southampton several times and have routinely walked the short distance--using an unmanned gate--between The Holiday Inn and Celebrity Eclipse... Trust me, this is not remotely the same!

Hope this is helpful... Enjoy your trip/sailing... And welcome to Southeast Florida; the weather has been terrific!

For the type of shopping that you are planning to do [or any sort of shopping for that matter], there is certainly no shortage of shopping venues in the Aventura area where Turnberry is located... Such items can be readily picked up at grocery chains like Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Whole Foods, at Target, or at a full service pharmacy--they offer much more here than their descriptor implies--like Walgreen's and CVS... All have a presence in Aventura; upon arrival, I'd suggest that you inquire with the resort concierge as to which is most proximate and that you make your purchases before being transferred to Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades on Saturday...

If your transfer is a private rather than a group one, you may ask your driver to accommodate you with a stop in route from the resort to the port [about a twelve mile trip]... Again, there is no shortage of places to make the purchases you want to do but--truth told--the most convenient are likely those closest to your hotel given the route that you are most apt to take...

Port Everglades itself is vast and entry is subject to very tight security [you will likely need to present your cruise documents and a photo ID (in your case, likely your passport) as your driver--who will also have port entry credentials--passes through one of the entry gates]... Once inside the port complex, there are--again out of security considerations [it is the center for arrival, storage, and delivery of virtually all petroleum-based products used from Key West to north of Orlando] , even locals need present photo identification to enter--no shopping or other commercial venues [burt Reynolds' restaurant at the port needed to close post 09/11]... You would need to take a taxi--and again go through security upon return--to do your shopping after you've checked-in/boarded the ship as none of the shops you seek will be closer or more convenient [the airport occupies the port's westerly border] to Terminal 18--where Oasis docks--as those situated near Turnberry... Once at the port, you'd need to go north to Fort Lauderdale's Seventeenth Street Causeway, south to Dania Beach Boulevard, or north/south on Federal Highway; none of those options are particularly walkable and there are few sidewalks inside the very busy port complex...

I've sailed in/out of Southampton several times and have routinely walked the short distance--using an unmanned gate--between The Holiday Inn and Celebrity Eclipse... Trust me, this is not remotely the same!

Hope this is helpful... Enjoy your trip/sailing... And welcome to Southeast Florida; the weather has been terrific!

What a wonderfully helpful reply - thank you so much. I never cease to be amazed at the thoughtful replies and information CC contributors provide. This is much appreciated. We are travelling with our disabled son so once aboard, we will be staying aboard. I had thought the port might be a bit like Barcelona where there are shops as you go in (or possibly like Southampton where we have boarded in the past). Finding something close to the hotel is our best bet and it sounds like it won't be hard.

We haven't visited the US since 1997 (& prior to that date visited my parents regularly in Virginia) so I think post 9/11 we will see things have changed a lot. We were all big Red Lobster fans (yes I know they're a chain but we've nothing remotely like them in the UK) and it looks like there is one about 5 miles from the Turnberry so we are hoping to feel awake enough to get a taxi and head out for dinner (the restaurant at the resort looks mega expensive too!)

Thanks for the update re the weather - need some sunshine! It's grey dark and raining here in the UK at 9 am in the morning.

Thanks again! :D

The only thing I will add to the good advice above is the Park Cafe on Oasis has individual size sealed bags of potato chips (aka crisps) in many forms and flavors available at no cost. You can grab a few extra bags when passing by Park Cafe and have them in your room for consumption at any time. No need to buy them in advance and crush them up on the way to your cruise.

Thom

I don't usually troll around Cruise Critic quite so widely--typically, I look at the Celebrity and Azamara forums as those are the lines I tend to sail--but I had a bit of insomnia this morning, read far more extensively than I usually do, just happened to see your post, and suspected that I might have some insights for you...

If you are too tired after travel to go to Red Lobster [i assume that you are referring to the one at 133rd and Biscayne; if so, I think it might be a bit further--but not materially so--than the five miles that you cite], know that there is no shortage of restaurants in the Aventura area either [in the residential area in which you are staying, along the Biscayne Boulevard corridor through Aventura which is a major/very busy commercial area, or within Aventura Mall (not suited for the type of shopping you want to do but huge; you'd pass several stores of the type you seek in route)] that are all within a mile or so of Turnberry... Though not Red Lobster, there is a Cheesecake Factory and a Luxe Cafe--both American chains; I believe they're commonly owned--within Aventura Mall that provide vast menu options, consistently good--but surely not gourmet--food, wonderful desserts [especially if you like cheesecake!], and fairly reasonable prices by local standards without resorting to the Mall's food court fast food places...

The residential area of Aventura is both lovely/upscale and Turnberry [though I was last in there for a wedding several years ago, I was impressed] is still regarded as such too... I suspect that--however brief, however jet-lagged you are--you'll enjoy your pre-cruise stay...

Travel well!

Edited by Xport

I don't usually troll around Cruise Critic quite so widely--typically, I look at the Celebrity and Azamara forums as those are the lines I tend to sail--but I had a bit of insomnia this morning, read far more extensively than I usually do, just happened to see your post, and suspected that I might have some insights for you...

If you are too tired after travel to go to Red Lobster [i assume that you are referring to the one at 133rd and Biscayne; if so, I think it might be a bit further--but not materially so--than the five miles that you cite], know that there is no shortage of restaurants in the Aventura area either [in the residential area in which you are staying, along the Biscayne Boulevard corridor through Aventura which is a major/very busy commercial area, or within Aventura Mall (not suited for the type of shopping you want to do but huge; you'd pass several stores of the type you seek in route)] that are all within a mile or so of Turnberry... Though not Red Lobster, there is a Cheesecake Factory and a Luxe Cafe--both American chains; I believe they're commonly owned--within Aventura Mall that provide vast menu options, consistently good--but surely not gourmet--food, wonderful desserts [especially if you like cheesecake!], and fairly reasonable prices by local standards without resorting to the Mall's food court fast food places...

The residential area of Aventura is both lovely/upscale and Turnberry [though I was last in there for a wedding several years ago, I was impressed] is still regarded as such too... I suspect that--however brief, however jet-lagged you are--you'll enjoy your pre-cruise stay...

Travel well!

Again my thanks! I couldn't be 100% sure of the Red Lobster address without further checking but if there's a mega mall nearer with family dining options of a similar nature we may well head there. For that night at least we won't be overly concerned with gourmet. Good to hear your view of the Turnberry - it gets mixed reviews (Tripadvisor) with many citing poor service although it looks gorgeous.

Haven't tried Azamara yet although a close friend has. We had a dreadful time on Celebrity Constellation 2 years ago and have chosen Royal C because they have always been fabulous with our son and there's so much going on visually he can't help but have a good time. He's deaf with cerebral palsy but loves travelling (& crisps!) It's our daughter's first cruise and we are celebrating her 30th so we are v excited!

:D

The only thing I will add to the good advice above is the Park Cafe on Oasis has individual size sealed bags of potato chips (aka crisps) in many forms and flavors available at no cost. You can grab a few extra bags when passing by Park Cafe and have them in your room for consumption at any time. No need to buy them in advance and crush them up on the way to your cruise.

Thom

Wonderful thanks - crushed crisps are always a bit sad!