Royal clipper - 28 february 2015 - windwards

JOBAKE

muskatnuss - I do wonder if that was your first Grenadines trip on the RC. Having noted your location as Germany, I also wonder if you have family connections in Grenada? If your answers are No / Yes we may have met on the RC on an earlier Grenadines itinerary!!

I am sure we will not be alone on this trip and, no doubt, many of us will be enjoying the Caribbean sunsets.

But what about "sunrise" - sunrise over the Pitons? Overnight on the first night the Royal Clipper sails, with the following Trade Winds, to Rodney Bay in St. Lucia. It usually goes around the southern tip of St. Lucia and up the West Coast with the Pitons clearly visible to the East. If one is on deck at daybreak with a clear(ish) sky there is a good chance of seeing the sun rise over the Pitons. Will I be alone for that?

Rick & Bev - we are looking forward to seeing you on the RC - only a few weeks now! We should be getting our Starclippers holiday information in about three weeks time including the information about excursions - probably the same as on the web site or similar thereto. If you have not been to St. Lucia before then, perhaps, take one of the excursions especially if it takes in the rain forest / the volcano / the Pitons areas. As that would be on the Sunday you would need to book that late Saturday afternoon / early evening. You can do that by putting your names on the list on the table in the area in front of the Purser's office. In Antigua a visit to the historic, and now restored, Nelson's Dockyard is recommended and that is only a modest walk from the area where we are usually tendered ashore. There is also a small but interesting museum in the Nelson's Dockyard area that is worth a visit and there are a couple of cafes there. In the Isles des Saintes (effectively part of France) we usually walk over to the other side of the island in the morning and get back to the main tourist area for a lunch time snack in one of the cafes / restaurants there. I can explain some more about the walk to the other side when we see you. In Martinique (also effectively part of France) where the RC moors alongside, we usually walk in to town along the painted pathway. If you are "shoppers" Martinique may be your best opportunity for that. Will this be your first time on the Clippers?

Rick - some thoughts that may help to get you started:- With the RC, boarding usually starts at 4.00 p.m. Suggest that when you have boarded you pop to your cabin and the programme for the day (Saturday) should be awaiting you on your bed. The compulsory lifeboat drill may be at around 6.00 p.m. followed at, maybe, 6.30 p.m. by a briefing about life on board including the shore excursions in St. Lucia the next day.

Dinner usually starts at 7.30. p.m. Suggest you go in to dinner at around that time and leave by about 9.45 p.m. and make your way up to the area by the open part of the bridge for sailaway at 10.00 pm. The sails are being raised as the ship leaves the Port. Listen as well as watch.

For those of us who love tall-ship sailing, welcome!

We'd say that Star Clipper ships are several steps up from a Windjammer Barefoot Cruises cruise--as in not as casual, and a mountain above the megaships--as in not as formal. You're in for a treat!

• 3 weeks later...

Rick, We now have our holiday "paperwork" including the information about the various shore excursions. In addition to my earlier comments I would suggest that in St. Kitts "The essential St. Kitts Tour", which is scheduled for 3 1/2 hours, and includes, among the other places to be visited, a visit to the Brimstone Hill Fortress. We have done that before, or a similar one, and liked that - particularly the Brimstone Hill Fortress part.

• 2 weeks later...