Passports For Kids

td33boys

If you have an emergency outside the country with your child just fly (him or her) back un accompanied and Obama will let them back in the country without any passport or documentation. Plus free medical and schooling.

Exactly...

...That's true, but people old enough to drive don't tend to go around without their driver's licenses, so it isn't really a sticking point.
According to the Jan 2015 National Geographic only 50% of US residents 16 to 19 HAVE a Driver's License (down from 71% in 1983). It is pretty hard to go around with something you don't have.

Passport Cards' only advantage over BC + government issued photo ID is, IMO, that the BC has been vetted and approved by the Passport Agency, and you have a document attesting to that before you arrive at the pier. A major issue with BCs is whether it will be accepted as valid, or will it not pass muster because it was not issued by or properly certified by the proper authority. Personally, I carry my Passport Booklet.

Thom

We are taking our 6 year old grandson on a cruise to and from FL in June. I know we need his original birth certificate to travel, but am I correct, in that I also need a notarized letter from his mom that we can take him on this trip and seek medical attention for him if needed?

We are taking our 6 year old grandson on a cruise to and from FL in June. I know we need his original birth certificate to travel, but am I correct, in that I also need a notarized letter from his mom that we can take him on this trip and seek medical attention for him if needed?
It is likely that you will NOT be asked for a notarized letter, but if you are asked and can't produce one you MIGHT be denied boarding (with no refunds). So it depends on how much of a risk taker you are. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and if it was me, I'd get the letter (signed by BOTH parents, if possible).

Thom

Background: The US is a signatory to the Hague Abduction Convention of 1980 which deals with international abduction of children by a family member (generally in the context of nasty divorces). You may be subjected to relatively minor inconvenience, in an attempt to prevent major disruptions in other families.

I checked in with my 16 year old niece last June and her father wasn't on the cruise. They didn't ask for the letter, but I had a notarized letter from her father just in case, because you are supposed to have one. She only had a birth certificate (and her driver's license, which they never asked to see).

To the OP: As far as the passport, as everyone else has stated, the passport card is useless on a cruise, and a passport is the best thing. That being said, we have been on 2 cruises with my kids and will go in July on our third, and they only have birth certificates. They are 10, 10, and 11 now and the passports for kids only last 5 years. Over $300 for passports when they don't really need them just isn't worth it for me. I can't imagine if my kids get sick in another country that they are just going to keep them there forever. I'm sure it has happened, and I'm sure it is a huge hassle and expensive if this should happen, but I'm just taking my odds.

One thing, it is supposed to be an original BC, but my niece's was a photocopy (which I didn't know until I saw her pull it out and I internally freaked me out-my mom and brother were in charge of getting everything ahead of time since they all live in a different state), but the desk clerk never said anything. He also looked at me as we walked up with the 4 kids and said "Let me guess, none of them have passports?", then sighed very loudly. He was an ass, but I held my own and just laughed my way through. That's your job, dude, get over it. I thought it was strange that he never even asked for the letter or her id since her BC is from Florida and my kid's BC's are from Georgia, and look completely different. Different last name, so it's obvious she wasn't my child. I think this desk clerk was just over his job and didn't care. So don't count on that. Make sure it's original.