Airport/Hotel/Ship Transfers

MsFancyFree

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of advice. I'm booked on the North Pacific Crossing from Kobe, Japan to Vancouver in late April. I'm planning to be there a couple of extra days in Osaka to do some sightseeing and recover from jet lag before the cruise.

I'm flying in from Vancouver and I'm a bit worried about making my way from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship hauling luggage. I'll have one suitcase, a carry-on that attaches to the suitcase, and my purse. All of it is manageable, but it's heavy to roll, and I've heard that the trains are not really suited to luggage. Plus, I'll be on my own, and probably exhausted.

HAL has given me a quote for 2 nights in a hotel and both transfers, and it sounds ideal for my situation, but also expensive, particularly since the hotel is a step up from what I would normally choose.

So, my question: is there enough "extra" (including peace of mind) in using HAL's transfer service and choice of hotel to make the extra cost worthwhile? Or are the local transport options enough? (And BTW, how does HAL's transfer service work? Is it like a shuttle bus?)

Any suggestions/advice appreciated!

I guess one thing is, how much %age extra are you paying? Is it 100% more than you could book your own for? Or is it 35% more? For me, I'd be taking a 35% higher rate for the ease, maybe even 50%. I tried the skytrain in Vancouver with luggage once, and am now delighted to pay the rush hour cab fare from YVR to my hotel :D Can you book your own hotel and pay cab fare to the hotel, and still be ahead of the cost of the HAL package?

Thanks for the quick response, CowPrincess.

I've just checked the price of two nights on the hotel website and it's close enough that I don't think HAL has a huge markup. The difference would presumably be the transfers. However, it is a more expensive hotel to start with.

Distance and cost rule out a taxi, but there is an airport limo service, followed by a short taxi ride, or the train, possibly followed by a taxi, or even a shared car service that I could book online. All of them involve some effort on my part.

The HAL option is the easiest ... apparently I would be met at the airport, so there is no danger of getting lost and having to haul my luggage around while I search for the right train. If I can just get over this idea that a couple of nights in a relatively expensive hotel is too extravagant!

Thanks for the quick response, CowPrincess.

I've just checked the price of two nights on the hotel website and it's close enough that I don't think HAL has a huge markup. The difference would presumably be the transfers. However, it is a more expensive hotel to start with.

Distance and cost rule out a taxi, but there is an airport limo service, followed by a short taxi ride, or the train, possibly followed by a taxi, or even a shared car service that I could book online. All of them involve some effort on my part.

The HAL option is the easiest ... apparently I would be met at the airport, so there is no danger of getting lost and having to haul my luggage around while I search for the right train. If I can just get over this idea that a couple of nights in a relatively expensive hotel is too extravagant!

Which hotel is it? Pan Pacific? If it is, then it might just be worth it and I think if it is this hotel this is one time HAL does ok price wise.

I have heard marvelous things about this hotel, including your luggage transported to the cruise.

Let us know what hotel and we can help more, but if it is that one, I don't think you will be sorry.

>SNIP<

Peace of mind, someone helping you, the ease of the HAL package -- doesn't sound extravagant to me at all ;) (and I'm totally a budget traveler.... but sometimes the extra is worth it for the benefit, especially if you are traveling solo....) JMHO of course.

(Note, I've never done, nor am I likely to do, that cruise, I'm just commenting based on "hassle factor" ;) )

In October we used the HAL hotel/transfer option for our cruise leaving out of Athens. Normally, we make all of our own transportation/hotel arrangements, but I decided to go with this option when asked by our HAL PCC. HAL uses two hotels in Athens and we chose the cheaper one (we had stayed at the nicer hotel HAL uses when we had made our own arrangements on previous trips). As soon as walked out of the secured luggage area at the airport, I immediately spotted an agent holding a sign with my name. We waited a few minutes because she was expecting another customer, but after a reasonable wait time, she called a driver who grabbed our luggage and led us to his car. We were then whisked to our hotel, where we quickly checked in. This arrangement was expensive compared to doing it on your own, but so nice after a long flight.

No, it's the Imperial hotel. Don't think it's up to the standard of a Pan Pacific!

Actually, we were booked on a similar cruise until it was chartered and the Imperial was one of the hotels I was looking at. It seems quite nice from what I could research :)

We would traditionally book a private transfer (sign up for us when we get there) in this scenario, but being a single, HAL's transfer would probably be more economical, so that has to be weighed into the equation of the total cost.

Nothing wrong with the the hotel of choice IMO if that helps. I was planning to stay there.

I'm a little old lady who has traveled alone on lots of trips from far-away places on HAL ships.

There is nothing I like more after a too-long flight than to see the HAL rep, and fall into their welcoming care. It is just a relief to know that I don't have to take care of myself in a strange land, with language and money I don't understand. HAL will do it for me.

Does it cost more than if I did it all myself? Sure. But I'm worth it.

I'm a little old lady who has traveled alone on lots of trips from far-away places on HAL ships.

There is nothing I like more after a too-long flight than to see the HAL rep, and fall into their welcoming care. It is just a relief to know that I don't have to take care of myself in a strange land, with language and money I don't understand. HAL will do it for me.

Does it cost more than if I did it all myself? Sure. But I'm worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree with Ruth. My mother and I travel together quite a bit. I'm all for DIY except in a foreign country where we don't speak the language. There is nothing nicer than being welcomed at the baggage carousel by a HAL rep after a very long flight and taken to your hotel.

Spend the extra money. I bet dollars to donuts that you'll be thankful that you did.

When I did a sightseeing trip to Osaka (near Kobe) and landed at Kansai airport decades ago....

• I was glad I stayed and kept my luggage at the airport hotel. The airport train would have been chaos with luggage. There is simply nothing to hold onto as I noticed riders would just bump into another another as the train accelerated and stopped at each station. It felt like an ocean of people flowing in and out... not something I want to do with luggage.
  • I did manage to make it for a sightseeing trip looking at the English signs. However I was ordered off the train mid-way at one point that left me confused. Apparently the train I was riding was being taken out of service (end of rush hour?) and I was having a tough time following the Japanese procedures (lots of hand gestures to GET OFF MY TRAIN).
  • I recommend the airport transfers to minimize language issues/delays to get around.

I tried the skytrain in Vancouver with luggage once, and am now delighted to pay the rush hour cab fare from YVR to my hotel :D

Some thoughts...

• the Canada Line IS designed for luggage
    luggage-canadaline.jpg
  • There is a open area for luggage if you "know" to enter by the center wheelchair doors. There is a large open common area for luggage until cyclists, strollers, and wheelchairs ask you to move. Often airport riders make the mistake of riding with the luggage in the aisle... creating nightmare to walk around.
  • All the seats have lots of clearance for luggage to go under. However because it's dirty from shoes... I've never seen anyone put their luggage under the seats.
  • every Canada Line station has devices that allow you to check-in
  • Getting on at the airport and waterfront stations is easy. Getting on at the stations in between can be a challenge with the large common area being occupied by standee's.
  • Not every tourist can figure out those fareboxes. How much is it? How many zones to the airport? Does a teenager quality for a concession fare as they don't have a local student pass? How old do you need to be to qualify for the senior discount? Why is the price $5 higher when departing from the airport?
  • a taxi is so much simplier, price is about the same as the train when two or three people are in the cab.

Edited by xlxo

Taxis are very expensive (imo) in Japan. I have tried the "do it yourself" approach when going in early for a cruise departure out of Kobe. I heartily recommend using the HAL package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. Always thought that and book the Cruise package for ease of mind. Especially when first time visit in the various cities.

Have your TA do it. The information will be added to your final documents (sometimes it's hard to find, but it's there); it's also on the itinerary page that "You will be met by ...", or something like that. I always print that page and take it with me just in case my name is not on the list; it always has made the list, though.

You can also book transfers for disembarkation in advance, if you want them, or book them on the ship. If you book on the ship, the price gets added to your on-board account, which counts toward your Mariner days. ;)

Have your TA do it. The information will be added to your final documents (sometimes it's hard to find, but it's there); it's also on the itinerary page that "You will be met by ...", or something like that. I always print that page and take it with me just in case my name is not on the list; it always has made the list, though.

You can also book transfers for disembarkation in advance, if you want them, or book them on the ship. If you book on the ship, the price gets added to your on-board account, which counts toward your Mariner days. ;)

Thanks RuthC :)

Now does anyone know a limo or minivan service to get from Kyoto to Osaka? We're too slow and creaky to negotiate the train.