What Cabin do you get with 2 adults and 2 kids?

LuCruise

We booked a Promenade room on RCL's Allure of the Seas which has a bed for DH and I, a pull out sofa and a pull down Pullman bed (from the wall). Either both kids will stay on the sofa bed or our older one will go on the Pullman bed. Our kids will be 10.5 and 6.5. It seems pretty tight but we'll make do.

Just curious what other families do (i.e. what kind of room do you get for a family of 4 with two adults and two kids)?

And as an aside, I noticed the system doesn't even let you select 2 adults and 3 kids so are you forced to get two rooms in that case?

In other posts families of 5 recommend pricing out two cabins versus the price of booking a suite. Royal has family suites that hold more people on at least some of their ships ( http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/home.do?br=R&back=1&cabincls=D ) but I have read that you need to call Royal directly to book these rooms (I can't verify personally if the booking information is correct since I haven't yet sailed with RC; it is just what I have read on these forums).

Similarly, you would need to consider if you would be comfortable letting a 10.5 year old and a 6.5 year old sleep together in an adjoining cabin or nearby inside and how much more this would cost versus getting one large cabin. Technically, the two adults would need to be split in the reservation. I have no idea if your children are ready to have a room by themselves but if you think they could handle it it might help to price out two cabins so you can see what your options are.

Edited by kitkat343

In other posts families of 5 recommend pricing out two cabins versus the price of booking a suite. Royal has family suites that hold more people on at least some of their ships ( http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/home.do?br=R&back=1&cabincls=D ) but I have read that you need to call Royal directly to book these rooms (I can't verify personally if the booking information is correct since I haven't yet sailed with RC; it is just what I have read on these forums).

Similarly, you would need to consider if you would be comfortable letting a 10.5 year old and a 6.5 year old sleep together in an adjoining cabin or nearby inside and how much more this would cost versus getting one large cabin. Technically, the two adults would need to be split in the reservation. I have no idea if your children are ready to have a room by themselves but if you think they could handle it it might help to price out two cabins so you can see what your options are.

Actually we are a family of 4 so we're ok in a single cabin (but was just wondering what happens if you're more). But we ended up switching from just a pull out sofa to a pull out sofa and a Pullman bed. It seems tight so am just wondering what other families do. E.g. Have 2 kids stay in sofa bed together, etc

Kitkat is correct - the RFS can only be booked by TA or calling RCI directly, and you need at least 5 people to book.

For four, we have seen people book one room or two. On our last cruise, we ran into four adults that shared an inside (talk about tight). APDMOM just posted a review of Freedom, which has pics of her promenade rooms, and I think these are roughly same size/layout as on Oasis/Allure. At your children's ages, one room might be a bit tight but doable. The only alternative is to look for a Superior OV or move up to JS to get something bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH and I have done the same interior room as you with our daughters, at the time, ages 13 and 8. It is very tight, but it will work. However, on subsequent cruises, we have always booked a larger room or at least one with a balcony. It depends on your budget and how much time you think you will spend in your cabin. You will still have a great time......you're on vacation!

My DH and I have done the same interior room as you with our daughters, at the time, ages 13 and 8. It is very tight, but it will work. However, on subsequent cruises, we have always booked a larger room or at least one with a balcony. It depends on your budget and how much time you think you will spend in your cabin. You will still have a great time......you're on vacation!

Great, thanks for letting me know that this room worked for you with kids the same age. Did your kids share the sofa bed or did one use the Pullman bed?

That's the thing...we got a good deal and really didn't want to spend much more. We really don't plan on spending much time in the room (but though the promenade window would be fun for them while we are in there). I'd rather spend the money on other things like drinks when we need, character breakfast, etc

Edited by LuCruise

The 8 YO slept on the Pullman bed and the 13 YO slept on the sofa.

Great thanks. So if your 8 year old went in the Pullman bed, then our 10.5 year old should be ok in it (i.e. not falling out since it doesn't look like it has large railing)

We booked a Promenade room on RCL's Allure of the Seas which has a bed for DH and I, a pull out sofa and a pull down Pullman bed (from the wall). Either both kids will stay on the sofa bed or our older one will go on the Pullman bed. Our kids will be 10.5 and 6.5. It seems pretty tight but we'll make do.

Just curious what other families do (i.e. what kind of room do you get for a family of 4 with two adults and two kids)?

And as an aside, I noticed the system doesn't even let you select 2 adults and 3 kids so are you forced to get two rooms in that case?

At about that age, we had a balcony and put the kids in an inside across the hall; prior to that Grandma traveled and stayed in the kids room.

It is worth EVERY PENNY in our book for them to have the extra room. First, it gives you 2 bathrooms when everyone is trying to shower up before dinner. Second, it gives mom and dad some of their own, much needed quality time. Third, mom and dad aren't constantly having to referee TV or tripping over someone's clothes, shoes etc that have no place to go because the space is so tight.

If it meant cramming everyone into one room, our family would pass on the cruise. We love our boys but all of us for 7 days in a little tiny space would be BAD, very very BAD.

At about that age, we had a balcony and put the kids in an inside across the hall; prior to that Grandma traveled and stayed in the kids room.

It is worth EVERY PENNY in our book for them to have the extra room. First, it gives you 2 bathrooms when everyone is trying to shower up before dinner. Second, it gives mom and dad some of their own, much needed quality time. Third, mom and dad aren't constantly having to referee TV or tripping over someone's clothes, shoes etc that have no place to go because the space is so tight.

If it meant cramming everyone into one room, our family would pass on the cruise. We love our boys but all of us for 7 days in a little tiny space would be BAD, very very BAD.

Wow, that's cool. Your kids must be quite mature. Definitely don't feel my kids are mature enough to have their own cabin in a year. But year, two bathrooms is a huge plus. We'll have to spread out our shower times.

But on the next cruise at 11 yo (using the sofabed), sharing the bathroom and one cabin was really a challenge. The balcony surely helps, but if they like to lay out their clothes and choose outfits, style their hair, the cabin feels like a sardine can. Now that she is 14, she is getting a cabin across the hall to share with her friend. We are all excited about this! Good Luck!

We are a family of 4. You can see my cruising history in my signature. My kids have been on all cruises since 2009 with the exception of Grandeur.

We either book inside or verandah {don't see much point in paying for a window). Not all cabins are created equal though. For example, on Oasis, the verandah cabin was noticeably smaller than others we've had before. I think on HAL it was noticeably larger.

Ship to ship varies from pull-outs to Pullman's to bunks that drop from the ceiling.

Our kids are now 7 and 8. We just sailed Reflection, and the had a pull-out (lower bed tray) from the sofa. I quite liked this and hope we get the same on silhouette.

4 in a cabin can be tight. BUT we don't live in our cabin. We leave after breakfast, come back to change for lunch, and change for dinner. We try to stagger showers. My daughter and I will shower first, and while we get ready, the boys will shower.

Meets our needs for now. When the kids are teens, we might consider getting a verandah for us and an inside for them. I was just looking at the HAVEN cabins on NCL, and think one day I might surprise the family and book something like that for a treat.

I did a cruise as a teen with my parents (Ecstacy). My parents had adjoining oceanviews. THey were in one and my 3 brothers and I had the other.

We are a family of 4. You can see my cruising history in my signature. My kids have been on all cruises since 2009 with the exception of Grandeur.

We either book inside or verandah {don't see much point in paying for a window). Not all cabins are created equal though. For example, on Oasis, the verandah cabin was noticeably smaller than others we've had before. I think on HAL it was noticeably larger.

Ship to ship varies from pull-outs to Pullman's to bunks that drop from the ceiling.

Our kids are now 7 and 8. We just sailed Reflection, and the had a pull-out (lower bed tray) from the sofa. I quite liked this and hope we get the same on silhouette.

4 in a cabin can be tight. BUT we don't live in our cabin. We leave after breakfast, come back to change for lunch, and change for dinner. We try to stagger showers. My daughter and I will shower first, and while we get ready, the boys will shower.

Meets our needs for now. When the kids are teens, we might consider getting a verandah for us and an inside for them. I was just looking at the HAVEN cabins on NCL, and think one day I might surprise the family and book something like that for a treat.

I did a cruise as a teen with my parents (Ecstacy). My parents had adjoining oceanviews. THey were in one and my 3 brothers and I had the other.

That's awesome that you've been able to cruise so much. Off topic, but can I ask which cruise / line is your favorite? And for your kids?

I'm with you...really don't plan on being in our cabin aside from sleeping, changing and showering. We did pick a promenade for our kids when we are there, but really plan on being out and about...so I think we'll manage ok in a tight space. For now, I'm the one that selects their my kids clothes and organizes things for the next day (although DD is getting to a point where she has an opinion of what to wear...only 5.5 at present )

Yes, we consider ourselves VERY fortunate! But I maintain that cruising is one of the best values for your vacation dollar!

Looking at my cruising history, you'd probably expect me to say that Disney or Oasis were our favourites, but my kids would rank those as their least favourites.

My kids go to a small Montessori school. They have a lot of responsibility for their young age to direct their learning and be responsible for their time at school. They are in a class of 30 grade 1,2,and 3 kids combined.

So when they go on Disney and are faced with hundreds of screaming kids gone wild, my kids retreat and are aghast and how some kids behave.

Then they go on a line like HAL or Celebrity, with only 30 kids in the kid's club and its more familiar to them.

My kid's rank HAL and Celebrity as their two favourite kid's club. Camp Carnival was their least favourite. Small clubs with lower enrollment and lots of activities and lots of adult interaction. In most clubs, the adults are there to supervise, but on HAL and X, there is a lot of adult interaction which my kids enjoy.

If your kids thrive in an environment with lots of children (my kids don't) - then they will love Adventure Ocean Oceanears club.

As for packing - do you know the ziplog bag packing method?

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Flifeasmom.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2Fphoto-132.jpg&ei=cra2VODxCoqjyQSp8IKgAw&psig=AFQjCNG0_N2rBa6kARCYTdNXv3TyJrF3gw&ust=1421346802274375

You pack each outfit in a ziplog bag - pants, shirt, undies and jewellery/hair accessories for girls. You can then label the bag (depending on how OCD you are) :D When I used this method for Disney, I'd have bags labelled for Epcot Day, Dinner - Coral Reef, MK, etc. I would plan out all the outfits, and then get my kids to bless them, then I would pack them all in zippy bags, and into the suitcase they go. Takes less room in the suitcase, and you are super organized! No hassle trying to remember what "outfits" you packed, everything is already together.

Now that my kids are older, 7 and 8, they pick out their clothes, then I edit, then I put it in the bags.

Yes, we consider ourselves VERY fortunate! But I maintain that cruising is one of the best values for your vacation dollar!

Looking at my cruising history, you'd probably expect me to say that Disney or Oasis were our favourites, but my kids would rank those as their least favourites.

My kids go to a small Montessori school. They have a lot of responsibility for their young age to direct their learning and be responsible for their time at school. They are in a class of 30 grade 1,2,and 3 kids combined.

So when they go on Disney and are faced with hundreds of screaming kids gone wild, my kids retreat and are aghast and how some kids behave.

Then they go on a line like HAL or Celebrity, with only 30 kids in the kid's club and its more familiar to them.

My kid's rank HAL and Celebrity as their two favourite kid's club. Camp Carnival was their least favourite. Small clubs with lower enrollment and lots of activities and lots of adult interaction. In most clubs, the adults are there to supervise, but on HAL and X, there is a lot of adult interaction which my kids enjoy.

If your kids thrive in an environment with lots of children (my kids don't) - then they will love Adventure Ocean Oceanears club.

As for packing - do you know the ziplog bag packing method?

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Flifeasmom.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2Fphoto-132.jpg&ei=cra2VODxCoqjyQSp8IKgAw&psig=AFQjCNG0_N2rBa6kARCYTdNXv3TyJrF3gw&ust=1421346802274375

You pack each outfit in a ziplog bag - pants, shirt, undies and jewellery/hair accessories for girls. You can then label the bag (depending on how OCD you are) :D When I used this method for Disney, I'd have bags labelled for Epcot Day, Dinner - Coral Reef, MK, etc. I would plan out all the outfits, and then get my kids to bless them, then I would pack them all in zippy bags, and into the suitcase they go. Takes less room in the suitcase, and you are super organized! No hassle trying to remember what "outfits" you packed, everything is already together.

Now that my kids are older, 7 and 8, they pick out their clothes, then I edit, then I put it in the bags.

Yes, I guessed that you would have said Disney overall.

I've heard great things about Adventure Ocean Oceanears club. Am sorry it wasn't for your kids. In our case, I don't suspect tons of kids since we are going mid April, which is off season (after Easter and March break) so will probably be a good size (meaning not too many).

OMG...that is a great idea about the ziplock bags (I can't see the image you attached). My DH would so make fun of me if I did that, but it's so me as I'm super organized and like pre-planning.

Oh, i'm sorry you can't see the image I posted. I can see it - can anyone else?

Do a google image search for "Ziploc bag packing method", if you need a visual.

I do this for myself too. I pack my day clothes in a zippy bag. My night clothes are usually on a hanger, folded in a suitcase. But I will put my jewellery and undergarments in a zippy bag and thread it over the hanger.

It's such a no brainer to just toss a bag of clothes at the kids and then they can get dressed.

Wow, that's cool. Your kids must be quite mature. Definitely don't feel my kids are mature enough to have their own cabin in a year. But year, two bathrooms is a huge plus. We'll have to spread out our shower times.

They are responsible and by that point had a bunch of cruises under their belt so they were well aware of the rules, procedures etc. And yes, its a personal choice and a parent has to be comfortable. But I look at it this way; they are closer across the hall to me than they are in our own house. No one can get into their room other than the steward and we all can get into each others rooms all the time. So really, it is very easy to keep tabs.

Have you considered adjoining cabins? They do have some of those....

Oh, i'm sorry you can't see the image I posted. I can see it - can anyone else?

Do a google image search for "Ziploc bag packing method", if you need a visual.

I do this for myself too. I pack my day clothes in a zippy bag. My night clothes are usually on a hanger, folded in a suitcase. But I will put my jewellery and undergarments in a zippy bag and thread it over the hanger.

It's such a no brainer to just toss a bag of clothes at the kids and then they can get dressed.

I think you meant to post

http://lifeasmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/photo-132.jpg

(got it from the url that showed when did edit)

Very cool and organized (assuming weather is predictable)

They are responsible and by that point had a bunch of cruises under their belt so they were well aware of the rules, procedures etc. And yes, its a personal choice and a parent has to be comfortable. But I look at it this way; they are closer across the hall to me than they are in our own house. No one can get into their room other than the steward and we all can get into each others rooms all the time. So really, it is very easy to keep tabs.

Have you considered adjoining cabins? They do have some of those....

We're ok with the promenade cabin that we booked at this point (i.e. our kids are young enough) and don't feel my kids are ready for a separate cabin (plus another cabin would double the cost, no?) Have posted though as I'm curious on what other families do of the same size. If they stick with parents bed plus sofa bed, if they use Pullman type bed, or get a bigger room such as a suite (which are $$$) or something like you suggest.

Edited by LuCruise

Sometimes you have to look at a second cabin as double the cost but the decision on a second cabin will always depend on the promotion.

for example, if you sail on a 3/4 pax free - it makes perfect sense to have the kids in the same room as you - free is free! we try often to look for these promotions.

Some lines, like RCCL very rarely have deals on the 3/4 pax. The 3/4 pax rates are always discounted, but sometimes are very close to what you are paying for the 1/2 pax. If the discounted rate for 3/4 is marginal, it makes sense to have a second cabin. Plus other promos like drink packages or free grats will often only apply to the 1/2 pax. So if you get a second cabin and are paying only a bit more than you would to have the kids in your cabin, it might be offset by free grats - which makes it all worthwhile.

clear as mud?

lol

I think one of the biggest things to consider when sharing a cabin with kids is the type of children they are.

I have two boys who have been cruising since 5 & 3. We have always stayed in the same cabin and I am booking another one for all 4 of us shortly and they will be 17 & 13. Always have had them sleep one on the sofa, one on the pullman. I won't book any other room types to be honest. If the room has a pullman, it is probably also a single sofa sleeper not a double.

I think the two boys are really the key. One is really low maintenance (aka <10 shower and go) other is slightly higher because he has a lions main of curly hair.

Having 3 girls fighting over the mirror and hair dryer to get ready? Not gonna happen. 3 Boys and Mom? One room is more than doable IMO.

I think one of the biggest things to consider when sharing a cabin with kids is the type of children they are.

I have two boys who have been cruising since 5 & 3. We have always stayed in the same cabin and I am booking another one for all 4 of us shortly and they will be 17 & 13. Always have had them sleep one on the sofa, one on the pullman. I won't book any other room types to be honest. If the room has a pullman, it is probably also a single sofa sleeper not a double.

I think the two boys are really the key. One is really low maintenance (aka <10 shower and go) other is slightly higher because he has a lions main of curly hair.

Having 3 girls fighting over the mirror and hair dryer to get ready? Not gonna happen. 3 Boys and Mom? One room is more than doable IMO.

Very true. For us, I believe the sofa bed is the same size in all promenade rooms whether there is a sofa bed or not, but it will give us the of both staying in sofa bed or one on sofa and one on Pullman. We have a boy and girl but both still young and both low maintenance. DS gets ready himself and we still help DD wash her hair.

• 1 month later...

On some ships the gym / spa showers are available to everyone, so Dad and smaller children can go and shower there leaving the Mums and older more complicated girls! to have more room in the cabin.

There was 3 of us cruising and DH would shower first and then go get a beer on deck whilst the girls showered and got ready then met him later.

Just me and DD now so not quite so complicated.

Gillian :)