Allure - I do not understand tipping, taxes etc.

All this stuff about tips, taxes and gratuities seem very complicated to me.

we are booked on the Allure for Jan 18, for sure we are VERY excited

we have not booked a drink package yet

my questions:

- when and where can we book a drink package on board?

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port?

- how much automatic tip/charge is there each day for an adult? do we still have to tip when booking a drink package?

We do not want to be unpolite etc., but this matter is new to us :o

Edited by AllureOfVacation

- when and where can we book a drink package on board? There will be crewmembers selling packages at tables set up on the Royal Promenade as you enter the ship.

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port? There are no taxes on the drink packages no matter when you buy them.

- how much automatic tip/charge is there each day for an adult? $12 per person per day (no matter the age) if in a non-suite. $14.25 if in a Grand Suite or better. do we still have to tip when booking a drink package? They will add 15% to the cost of the drink package at the time you purchase. No tips will be added when you order drinks.

See answers in RED above.

Edited by clarea

All this stuff about tips, taxes and gratuities seem very complicated to me.

we are booked on the Allure for Jan 18, for sure we are VERY excited

we have not booked a drink package yet

my questions:

- when and where can we book a drink package on board?

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port?

- how much automatic tip/charge is there each day for an adult? do we still have to tip when booking a drink package?

Clarea gave you excellent answers (the ones in red). Would just like to add to that.

Notice you are from Germany. If you have booked through a travel agent and if you have booked My Time Dining, you may have already paid your gratuities. They have to be paid ahead of time for My Time Dining, and sometimes travel agents book as part of a package, or give them to you as a bonus. Check with your travel agent.

Everything will come into place and your onboard account will be billed for your tips (gratuities). The only thing you should expect to tip extra for would be room service, which is not included in your daily tips. A tip of $1 to $5 depending on the size of the order is appropriate.

Also, if you are in a suite and using the concierge lounge it is normal to tip the bartenders in there, either on a nightly basis, or at the end of your cruise. You should base that on what you think and how much you used; also concierge if you use extensively or they were particularly helpful.

If you are referring to port taxes, they are in your fare - they will be broken out on your invoice so as to show how much was the port tax.

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port? There are no taxes on the drink packages no matter when you buy them.

See answers in RED above.
Bob: I THOUGHT (not positive) that there is additional tax if you buy in port in Spain. I recognize that OP is sailing on Allure out of FLL, but Allure is headed to Spain later this spring, so IF I am correct this could be pertinent if someone searches and finds this thread. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time:o

Thom

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port? There are no taxes on the drink packages no matter when you buy them.Bob: I THOUGHT (not positive) that there is additional tax if you buy in port in Spain. I recognize that OP is sailing on Allure out of FLL, but Allure is headed to Spain later this spring, so IF I am correct this could be pertinent if someone searches and finds this thread. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time:o

Thom

You are correct, the VAT tax can be applied when cruising our of Spain. I didn't want to complicate the answer because I knew the OP was cruising out of the US.

- is it right that there are no taxes if we book it after the ship leaves the port? There are no taxes on the drink packages no matter when you buy them.Bob: I THOUGHT (not positive) that there is additional tax if you buy in port in Spain. I recognize that OP is sailing on Allure out of FLL, but Allure is headed to Spain later this spring, so IF I am correct this could be pertinent if someone searches and finds this thread. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time:o

Thom

You are correct, the VAT tax can be applied when cruising our of Spain. I didn't want to complicate the answer because I knew the OP was cruising out of the US.

Hello,

Spanish VAT is added to purchases on sailings out of Spain where ALL of the ports of call are within EU VAT territories. Whilst, say Gibraltar and the Canaries are in the EU, they are NOT for VAT purposes so VAT should not be charged on cruises with those ports of call.

The best way round this I found was come to an agreement with the barman to bill me at the next port (usually France or Italy) for what I drank in Spain - I would then give him 50% of my savings as an extra tip.:eek:

Cheers!:D

Cublet

I was charged tax on my soda package I purchased in port while on the Explorer several years ago. I was told that if I had waited until we were out at sea, there would be no tax. Maybe someone made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Gwen :)

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again for all your helpful answers. We were well prepared about the tips etc. when boarding.

The cruise was outstanding! We enjoyed our balcony sea-view very much (Deck 7). The price we paid for what we got was incredibly cheap.

We loved the ship and enjoyed the excellent service. I think I gained a lot of weight :D

Just one matter was very annoying: Lucy, the shopping expert on every second TV channel. I was so tired of her ;););)

I guess her sister is named Stacey and works for Disney World

we missed all the shows we have booked for the evenings...we were always very tired of all the activities and tours. It was an awesome vacation!

Edited by AllureOfVacation