Another Latittudes level...?

Crown Vic

Does anyone have any idea whether or not NCL is considering creating another Latittudes level above Platinum? Although the Platinum perks are very welcome, it would be nice to get something 'extra' for continued patronage. Some thoughts - an Internet package, breakfast/lunch in the specialty restaurant or specialty coffees. The new level could 'kick in' at 350 or 400 points. Your thoughts...?

Once you receive platinum status you receive milestone gifts such as a picture frame or other small trinkets. Not all that great, but better than nothing.

Frome the NCL site:

Special milestone gifts are provided for guests who achieve 250, 500, 700 and 1,000 points.

It doesn't say exactly what they are.

Once you receive platinum status you receive milestone gifts such as a picture frame or other small trinkets. Not all that great, but better than nothing.

Frome the NCL site:

you also receive free laundry services on bag day, and a complementary meal in a specialty restaurant.

I’m all for having the Latitudes program overhauled now that there’s new leadership both at NCL and NCLH. The program was loosened far too much under Sheehan’s reign. Now everyone seemingly is Platinum. Before when it was the number of cruises you took, it made more sense because the perks were better for those more loyal. Now we’ve seen the perks get cut back because too many are in that tier and it costs money! I’m all for a new “Elite Level” where it’s a high number of points and one which shows you’ve been a loyal NCL cruiser and it should be based solely on the number of cruises, not points which can be doubled depending on the type of category, number of months booked ahead of time or what not.

Does anyone have any idea whether or not NCL is considering creating another Latittudes level above Platinum? Although the Platinum perks are very welcome, it would be nice to get something 'extra' for continued patronage. Some thoughts - an Internet package, breakfast/lunch in the specialty restaurant or specialty coffees. The new level could 'kick in' at 350 or 400 points. Your thoughts...?

What if too many Platinum Plusses were on one sailing and the occupancy in the suite and VIP breakfast and lunch venue was backed up. That would be bad. Many of us pay for the suite to make sure it is stress-free.

I listed all my suite perks and my platinum perks out. Since I receive both I am very content.

If NCL did add a higher level I hope it does not crossover on the suite perks. Something like OBC would work better.

I’m all for a new “Elite Level” where it’s a high number of points and one which shows you’ve been a loyal NCL cruiser and it should be based solely on the number of cruises, not points which can be doubled depending on the type of category, number of months booked ahead of time or what not.

Apologies for the non-specific quoting, the site isn't letting me quote normally at the moment.

Just wanted to note that seemingly the entire industry is going in the opposite direction of what I bolded above. In recent years, just among lines I've sailed, Carnival, Royal, and Celebrity have all moved from a "number of cruises" model to a "number of days" model. I'm a relative newbie to NCL but, based solely on industry trends, I'd be shocked if NCL moved in that direction, especially since they already have a days model. If anything, I could see them tightening up the doubling, etc.

The counterargument to the position you favor is that on other lines, especially Royal, lots of folks' loyalty statuses got fattened up by cheap, quick 3-4 day cruises, and people who were earning the same amount of credit for a 10 night cruise were fed up.

I agree with keeping it as nights sailed. I have no real opinion on the "doubling" issue. I know Royal doubles for people sailing in suites. NCL is the only line I'm aware of that offers double points for booking far enough out, but there could be others for all I know.

I agree that the point based system does benefit those who cruise on lengthier voyages. It was good for recognizing that fact. That’s how when they changed it to a day based point system as opposed to cruise based I jumped to Platinum and never saw the Gold tier! I love taking longer voyages.

Something’s got to change though because the perks for Platinum have been so watered down I’m wondering if things will get re-worked in the future. Doing 19 cruises with a cruise line should get you more than someone who has done 4 and booked Haven rooms and more than 12 months in advance. There’s definitely something askew and let’s hope the new guy gets to the bottom of it!

I think Elite is the highest level tier name on Princess and Celebrity but not sure of Royal Caribbean. I think it’s time for a new high level with a lot better perks. It’ll give those of us who have been Platinum a good long while something more to strive for and help foster more brand loyalty.

Still can't quote for some reason! Ugh.

Celebrity recently added two new levels, Elite + and Zenith. I haven't followed them closely as we weren't impressed with our last X cruise, but they've developed some sort of lounge concept for the Zeniths in addition to a nightly cocktail reception for those Elite and up (which Royal has for Diamond members and up). Both are fabulous conceps and it would certainly be great if NCL developed something like that!

RCI added a new top level called "Pinnacle" a few years ago, which is outrageously difficult to reach but has incredible perks, including a free cruise when you reach it (and periodically thereafter) and full suite benefits.

I must admit that I was surprised when I first checked out NCL that the NCL program capped out at Platinum and that it was fairly easy to reach. I think they should add a higher level with better benefits, provided they don't further water down the lower levels.

Edited by Dave85

Still can't quote for some reason! Ugh.

Celebrity recently added two new levels, Elite + and Zenith. I haven't followed them closely as we weren't impressed with our last X cruise, but they've developed some sort of lounge concept for the Zeniths in addition to a nightly cocktail reception for those Elite and up (which Royal has for Diamond members and up). Both are fabulous conceps and it would certainly be great if NCL developed something like that!

RCI added a new top level called "Pinnacle" a few years ago, which is outrageously difficult to reach but has incredible perks, including a free cruise when you reach it (and periodically thereafter) and full suite benefits.

I must admit that I was surprised when I first checked out NCL that the NCL program capped out at Platinum and that it was fairly easy to reach. I think they should add a higher level with better benefits, provided they don't further water down the lower levels.

Something impossible to reach isn’t a good idea because people would get discouraged but something that is high end which you’re describing what RCI and Celebrity did sound just about right. RCI’s version might be lofty but it gives people a reason to stay loyal knowing one day they’ll get there and hopefully take advantage of it. Something I also wish NCL would change is their recognition of people who sail on charters for past passenger credits. Usually these customers pay more because the ship has specialized entertainment but it’s still a cruise on the brand. Royal and Celebrity both recognize charters on their ships for past passenger credits.

NCL’s levels are very easy to attain which is why an overhaul might be good for the Latitudes program. I agree that what perks haven’t been touched should remain or to roll into a one major perk per person category like one other line has (can’t remember if it’s Royal or Celebrity) where you can choose a laundry package, a specialty dinner package, or something else package. I know there’s three options to choose from. That could happen as an overhaul to the Platinum level and then make more options available for the new level? Either way we seem to be in agreement another level is very much needed!

Oh yeah, the quoting thing is VERY finicky on here lately. It works sometimes and it doesn’t other times. I’m not sure if this is a bug with CC because the browser I use is always the same. The post length has something to do with it because the longer ones it won’t quote for me I’ve noticed. :cool:

Something’s got to change though because the perks for Platinum have been so watered down I’m wondering if things will get re-worked in the future. Doing 19 cruises with a cruise line should get you more than someone who has done 4 and booked Haven rooms and more than 12 months in advance.

I think that NCL is recognizing the fact that people who book Haven suites pay 3 or 4 times more than those who book an inside or even a balcony.

We became platinum after 6 cruises because we book suites and more than nine months in advance. however, I also agree that there has to be another level for those with more points. I think that it would be nice to recognize those with more than 250 points or after 25 cruises.

Alongside an extra tier or a revamp of the Latitudes program, I suspect that some of the multipliers will get pulled - days cruised benefits is logical; recognising the extra suite expenditure makes commercial sense; the Latitudes insider offers and the booking 9 months out bonuses might be vulnerable.

They will also have to tread a fine line to avoid upsetting existing Latitudes members.

Alongside an extra tier or a revamp of the Latitudes program, I suspect that some of the multipliers will get pulled - days cruised benefits is logical; recognising the extra suite expenditure makes commercial sense; the Latitudes insider offers and the booking 9 months out bonuses might be vulnerable.

They will also have to tread a fine line to avoid upsetting existing Latitudes members.

I agree with you regarding the Latitudes insider offer, but I think that they might keep the 9 months bonuses because it helps to sell cabins.

I think that NCL is recognizing the fact that people who book Haven suites pay 3 or 4 times more than those who book an inside or even a balcony.

We became platinum after 6 cruises because we book suites and more than nine months in advance. however, I also agree that there has to be another level for those with more points. I think that it would be nice to recognize those with more than 250 points or after 25 cruises.

100% agreed. Too easy to reach Platinum the way it is currenty. A new level, something like Platinum + at 250 and another one at 500 points is highly needed. And do away with the not so appreciated gifts (often ridiculed on this forum) at these 2 milestones.

Actually the whole Loayalty program should be revamped IMHO.

Thanks

If you really want to make it "fair" you probably need at least two axis. One like total days cruised and the other one for recent frequency. So for a mid tier level something like > 100 days total and > 20 days the last 12 months.

I would rather have them lower the base fare and get rid of all those member cocktail parties, nightly mint chocolate and other useless stuff. If they want to reward loyalty give percentage off the cruise fare depending on how many days a year booked.

The main point of a loyalty program (from a company's point of view) is to maximise repeat business and positive referrals whilst costing them as little as possible.

Quite a bit of the 'useless' stuff costs NCL pennies. Discounting cruise fares becomes real dollars (the discount has to be meaningful i.e. at least 5%).

Free laundry bag - marginal cost is cents

Pillow chocolates - not a lot

Bubbly - cost price to NCL no more than a couple of dollars

Le Bistro meal - revenue loss is $20 per pax (+ a few bucks for the wine) - cost is significantly less - feel-good factor for the pax - worth way more than the $10-$15 lost profit.

Shipboard parties - minimal marginal cost as well.

Quite a bit of the 'useless' stuff costs NCL pennies. Discounting cruise fares becomes real dollars (the discount has to be meaningful i.e. at least 5%).

This is exactly why I think Royal's loyalty benefits are the best in the industry. As a Diamond member I get $225 off every balcony I book for a week long cruise (most cruises I book). Got $325 off my 12-night cruise later in the year. It's real money. This is in addition to a dedicated lounge with free drinks every night. If you book less than 6 months out you knock $25 off that. Dollar figures go up for Diamond +, and I there's a smaller discount for some of the lower levels.

I happen to really like the line irrespective of those perks, but the perks are impossible to ignore. NCL should think about instituting some perks that are as hard to ignore if they revamp their program... Provided past guest business is as important to their business plan as it apparently is RCI's.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Frome the NCL site:

At 250 points, you receive a small world atlas.

At 500 points, you receive a small picture frame. 4x6 size.

We both received the same atlas, and we both received the same picture frame.

No choices.

It would have been nice for my wife and I to have received a different gift, maybe even a different color. Blue for boy, pink for girl, anything that would have made it more personal, but no, not even an inscription. Nothing to strive for folks.

I for one, sure hope they revamp the program to at least reward long time loyal cruisers.

At 250 points, you receive a small world atlas.

At 500 points, you receive a small picture frame. 4x6 size.

We both received the same atlas, and we both received the same picture frame.

No choices.

It would have been nice for my wife and I to have received a different gift, maybe even a different color. Blue for boy, pink for girl, anything that would have made it more personal, but no, not even an inscription. Nothing to strive for folks.

I for one, sure hope they revamp the program to at least reward long time loyal cruisers.

Eek. :eek:

Over at the big O, they reward with hard dollar amounts that steadily increase through the tiers (onboard credit and prepaid gratuities).

Plus the milestones offer some nice tangible benefits - even a free cruise!

A tale of two cruise lines.... ;)

On my last NCL cruise in a conversation with a ship's officer I asked about free internet and another level.

With free internet - here's the answer - Carnival - Princess in particular own their own platform so the cost of providing the service can be easily absorbed.

NCL has to paid an outside user for all the minutes used thus there is considerable more direct cost involved.

As for another level - she mentioned the possibility of Platinum + and that the program is constantly being evaluated but nothing was imminent.

The one suggestion that I made was to treat solo cruisers like Princess does - an extra cruise credit for traveling solo.

Just some thoughts on this topic.

Cheers!

Dennis

With free internet - here's the answer - Carnival - Princess in particular own their own platform so the cost of providing the service can be easily absorbed.

NCL has to paid an outside user for all the minutes used thus there is considerable more direct cost involved.

All cruise lines contract outside companies to provide internet service. NCL uses MTN, but most cruise lines rely on a mix of providers. RCI uses Harris for most of their fleet, but O3B on their newest ships. Carnival's new Wifi@Sea program uses Harris, MTN, and a bunch of others.

O3B is the best with low-orbit satellites. I used O3B on Quantum, and it was nearly as fast as broadband at home. MTN and Harris are rolling out new hybrid systems that use land-based wi-fi antennas when ships are close to shore. Both low-orbit and hybrid systems have coverage issues at the moment, but they are constantly improving. It's the beginning of the end for slow internet at sea :)

For more, check out this article:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-unveils-fast-hybrid-wi-fi-system-to-go-on-100-plus-ships.html

Edited by barnacle_boy

I agree with the people who said double points should be given to solo travelers who pay for a standard cabin (not a studio room). The solos always get left out of the sales so this would be a good way to show respect!

As for Internet at sea as an option like Princess does, while I had that option on Princess, I only used it once when it was an emergency and the ship might be delayed due to severe weather (hurricane). Otherwise, I cruise to be disconnected from land and all that is going on so it would be better to offer something all generations could use while on vacation. The UDP or UBP being offered at a new high tier would be an awesome thing and having the passengers CHOOSE which one they want so if they don’t drink they can still enjoy the food option.

There’s been a lot of constructive ideas and I do hope the ex-Darden CEO listens to these comments and implements a change!

Clearly those of us that cruise a lot feel new levels are needed. This debate got very active shortly after the new plan rolled out. Many wrote to NCL and they did send out a survey with many of the suggested changes. Then nothing.

I was on the Gem last winter and there were 350+ platinum cruisers onboard. That is crazy. 2 10 day suite cruises booked right will make you platinum. I reached platinum the old fashion way with 14 cruises. First cruise at platinum there were 4 of us onboard.

The milestone gifts are embarrassing. Can't wait for my bowl when I achieve 700 points this month. Anything would be better. What's wrong with gift cards at a minimum. They get all the money back. $250, $500, $700, & $1000.

If we want change we can't just post on CC and hope. Hope is not a plan. If you are not satisfied with the current program and have better ideas share them directly with NCL.