Does NCL have wine packages you can purchase onboard?

beachbumsns

I have not sailed on NCL previously. I normally sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. We normally purchase a wine package prior to boarding to have in the diningroom with our meals. Does NCL sell a wine package when you board the ship. We sail on the NCL Star in April. I read conflicting messages on this site whether or not NCL still sells a wine package or do you have to buy a beverage package. Any information would be appreciated.

The dedicated NCL cruisers are more likely to see this if posted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

We sailed the Canal on NCL in 2013 and I seem to remember three "levels" of wine packages, but I may be confusing cruises! All I'm seeing on the website is the Caps And Corks program where you pay $44/pp/day for the whole trip. But I see to remember there was a table in the Attrium on embarkation day where you could purchase "sets" of wine from the wine list:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Again, I could be mis-remembering so ask at the NCL board above.

• 4 weeks later...
The dedicated NCL cruisers are more likely to see this if posted here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

We sailed the Canal on NCL in 2013 and I seem to remember three "levels" of wine packages, but I may be confusing cruises! All I'm seeing on the website is the Caps And Corks program where you pay $44/pp/day for the whole trip. But I see to remember there was a table in the Attrium on embarkation day where you could purchase "sets" of wine from the wine list:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Again, I could be mis-remembering so ask at the NCL board above.

I saw this on another thread today regarding the choices for wine packages. Thought it might be of interest to other wine drinkers. Not sure if they have larger packages for a 15 day cruise, but this gives you an idea of what is available to purchase on the ship. Hope this helps.

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California - Yes

Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia - Yes

Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy - Yes

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay - South Australia

Beringer White Zinfandel - California

Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

Ravenswood “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California - Yes

Rioja Vega, Criaza-Rioja - Spain

Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia - Yes

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia - Yes

Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California - Yes

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Sauvignon Blanc - California

Clos du Bois,Sauvignon Blanc-North Coast, California

Simi, Chardonnay - Sonoma, California

Estancia, Pinot Noir - Californi - Yesa

Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California - Yes

Blackstone, Merlot - California

Estancia, Meritage - California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California - Yes

Oberon, Sauvignon Blanc - Napa Valley, California

I'M Deep Rose Isabel Mondavi - Napa Valley, California

Isabel Mandavi, Chardonnay – Carneros, California - Yes

Bonterra Organic Chardonnay – CMendicino Valley, California

Spellbound, Petit Sirah – California Yes

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Red Blend - California

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz - South Australia

Oberon, Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley, California

If you don't buy a package you can always buy a bottle of wine in the dining room. Usually you can take it back to your cabin or the wine steward will keep it for you for the next night. But on NCL with Freestyle dining I don't know how that works.

I bought a wine package once but the tips were not part of the initial cost. I saw them on our final bill when they were added to the final cost.

I've forgotten the name of the wine I got but saw the same wine in the Formality shop on board for $25 a bottle. BUT, when I got home the same wine was on sale in PIGGLY WIGGLY FOR $8.99, normally $1198! Now I take a glass of wine to the dining room and/or buy a glass there.

Edited by Bonnie J.

• 2 months later...

Hi again Beachbumns,

I just saw your post about wine. Last year we bought the Enthusiast package, 4 Bottles - $88. What is important to know about these packages (unless they changed the rules) is that they are only for sale the first 24 hours of sailing in the main atrium set up at a table. These are different from the complete beverage packages that they sell.

We bought ours the very fist day after boarding, and was told the sale was only for this 24 hour period. And they were in fact gone the next day.

We were given 4 coupons after payment , each with the wines name. then once in a restaurant we handed the coupon to our server and he retrieved the bottle. We are not big drinkers so drinking a 1/2 a bottle each night with dinner was perfect for each of us. The waiter took the left over half bottle and wrote out a new coupon for us and stored it until the next night, or when ever.

4 bottles for us was 8 dinners (1/2 bottle each night). We will buy a 6 or 8 package this time because it is a longer voyage. These packages seem to me to be a good buy, because often one bottle can be 40+ each when bought separately on the ship. I hope this helps! Gary

Edited by Gary2015

Hi again Beachbumns,

I just saw your post about wine. Last year we bought the Enthusiast package, 4 Bottles - $88. What is important to know about these packages (unless they changed the rules) is that they are only for sale the first 24 hours of sailing in the main atrium set up at a table. These are different from the complete beverage packages that they sell.

We bought ours the very fist day after boarding, and was told the sale was only for this 24 hour period. And they were in fact gone the next day.

We were given 4 coupons after payment , each with the wines name. then once in a restaurant we handed the coupon to our server and he retrieved the bottle. We are not big drinkers so drinking a 1/2 a bottle each night with dinner was perfect for each of us. The waiter took the left over half bottle and wrote out a new coupon for us and stored it until the next night, or when ever.

4 bottles for us was 8 dinners (1/2 bottle each night). We will buy a 6 or 8 package this time because it is a longer voyage. These packages seem to me to be a good buy, because often one bottle can be 40+ each when bought separately on the ship. I hope this helps! Gary

Thanks Gary, always great to get information on the cruise we are going on. I see you are from Montreal. I haven't noticed too many Canadians on this thread. I appreciate the information on the wine and we intend to also buy a package.

Your very welcome Beachbumsns,

We will be at the meet and greet and hopefully cabin crawl, I will wear a Canadian flag pin or something Canadian (still have to buy it though) if you see Gerald and I please come over and say hi, We love Nova Scotia!

"MEET & GREET: Monday, April 13th from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm in Le Bistro (deck 6)"

Edited by Gary2015

Your very welcome Beachbumsns,

We will be at the meet and greet and hopefully cabin crawl, I will wear a Canadian flag pin or something Canadian (still have to buy it though) if you see Gerald and I please come over and say hi, We love Nova Scotia!

"MEET & GREET: Monday, April 13th from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm in Le Bistro (deck 6)"

Funny you mention wearing a pin or something Canadian Gary. We have been scouring our city today looking for two Nova Scotia hats. One for my husband and one for his friend. Found them today, just have to go pick them up. See you at the Meet and Greet. Only 3 more sleeps for us and then we head to Santa Monica. Safe travels.

• 1 year later...

I bought a wine package once and never again. The 15% tip was added to the final price but didn't know that until got our final bill, and when I got home I found the same wine I was given to be $10 LESS per bottle on sale. I have brought two bottles from home - 1 for me and 1 for husband who doesn't drink wine.

I bought a wine package once and never again. The 15% tip was added to the final price but didn't know that until got our final bill, and when I got home I found the same wine I was given to be $10 LESS per bottle on sale. I have brought two bottles from home - 1 for me and 1 for husband who doesn't drink wine.

Of course there is a huge mark up onboard! Does a restaurant change the same amount for a bottle of wine as a liquor store? NCL also allows unlimited bottles to be brought onboard for a $15 corkage fee. When you add on the 18% gratuity charged on the ship, it almost always is cheaper to bring your own bottles.