Back to Back Cruises

Jasont777

We are doing our first b2b, (RCI Mariner of the Seas, 6th & 11th Feb), could anyone tell me what happens regarding check in for both cruises, and moving from one cabin to another, and as we in a balcony first leg and suite the second, and do we have to get off after first cruise etc etc, any info much appreciated.

We are doing our first b2b, (RCI Mariner of the Seas, 6th & 11th Feb), could anyone tell me what happens regarding check in for both cruises, and moving from one cabin to another, and as we in a balcony first leg and suite the second, and do we have to get off after first cruise etc etc, any info much appreciated.

You will get detailed instructions on the changeover process a day or two before the end of the first cruise. I'd visit Guest Services early in the first cruise and confirm you are on the B2B list.

Regarding changing staterooms, you usually have to pack everything that is not hanging in the closet. The stateroom attendants will move your bags and hanging items. Again, mention your B2B to your stateroom attendants (first and second cruise) early in the first cruise to see if thay have different procedures.

I did a B2B on Mariner last year. The day before arrival in Singapore all the B2Brs were called to a meeting. We were given our new Sea Pass cards and brief info we had to ding off with the old card and just remember to use the new card on return to the ship. We could get off the ship at anytime- no requirement to go as a group or wait for everyone else to disembark. Dont know about the cabin change arrangements as I had the same cabin

We've done a number of b2bs and each port is different. We have stayed in the same cabin and we have moved.

Yes, you pack your stuff up and leave your hanging stuff.....but we had a state room attendant that wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, so we moved ourselves, even after the hotel director promised he would have a 'supervisor' at our door with a cart to move our luggage & stuff at 8:30. By 9:30 no one showed so we moved our selves. Luckily the cabin attendant for the 2nd leg was wonderful. Some ships, if there are more than 25 b2b passengers will have a luncheon for you. We've gone to this a couple of times and weren't overly impressed.

Some ports the ship has to "zero out" the passengers, everyone gets off. Other ports you are allowed to stay on board, you may have to show up for customs and immigration, but don't necessarily have to get off.

Enjoy your cruises!

We were on Mariner this time last year and did a b2b ex Singapore. It was all very straightforward and we were given clear instructions about picking up our new sea pass cards, we had the same suite for both cruises so no hassles about moving our stuff.

We also did the eight night repositioning cruise from Shanghai to Singapore in November and I have recently booked the 11 February cruise so Mariner is almost like my second home now! I was going to do the Global Odyssey Dubai to Singapore sector on Quantum in May but had quite a few doubts about it so when I saw such a good senior/singles/loyalty discount for this cruise transferred my deposit. I've just upgraded to a suite guarantee and been allocated an aft junior suite. So looking forward to escaping this horrible British winter. Any questions about Mariner, Singapore, Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh city welcome.

Penton thanks for the info, might see you on the ship from 11th, we to have upgraded to the JS,

A few questions if you could offer any advice

We have decided to stay overnight in Bangkok.......would be grateful for a central hotel (downtown) or do RCI offer shuttles from A to B and back or do I need to research a private tour company? also have you any recommendations on Langkawi, Kuala Lumpur, Phuket and Vietnam much appreciated.

Thank You

PS our first time this part of the world.

Hi JasonT777

In response to your queries, firstly the Bangkok hotels. Having been to Bangkok several times I would also like to stay overnight there and I see that RCI are offering an overnight stay but it is quite expensive and includes a tour which I don't want to do. I'm going to contact them and ask if I can use their coach transfer to get into Bangkok on the first day and then return on their coach the following day. There are so many hotels to suit all budgets but I always like to stay down by the the river. It is easy then to jump on the river taxis to go up river to The Grand Palace etc or onto the sky train which will take you all over Bangkok. Bangkok is a crazy, steamy, bustling place and nowhere more so than the Chatuchak weekend market which is the largest market in Asia, I'll be heading there on the Saturday morning. I suggest looking at one of the hotel price comparison websites to see what offers are available, you can stay in luxury for very little money in Bangkok and the service standards are high.

In Langkawi a shuttle bus was provided to a local duty free shopping centre and from there we walked down to the beach where you can hire sun beds and umbrellas. Just ask the way to the beach, it is a very easy walk but I would suggest getting there early. In KL we went on an organised ships tour which was quite good and it allowed for some independent shopping time and incorporated the main sightseeing spots. In Phuket we stayed overnight and on the first day went on a trip to Phi Phi island (James Bond island), it was a long day out and I'm not sure I would recommend it. There are lots of companies offering trips in Phuket Town which was a short tuk tuk ride from where the ship tendered to. On the second day we just got a taxi to Kamala beach and we really enjoyed our time there. Behind the beach were lots of restaurants and bars and we really liked the atmosphere there. It really just depends on what you want to, I really don't like being herded around but in ports where the cities are a long drive from where the ship docks I am very wary of doing my own thing because of the risk of missing the ship. Ho Chi Minh City is another place where we just got the ship's coach transfer and then did our own thing. The main sights are within walking distance. The transfer time was not much more than an hour because they have recently opened up a new expressway.

Asia offers so much for the tourist and covering the ports you are doing on the b2b cruise you will get to see a wide variety of different sights. I'll sign up for the meet and mingle and hopefully catch up with you onboard.