Been to Monte Carlo...where else

envy4u

We could probably give you 20 or 30 ideas but it would be a bit much for this forum. So it all depends on where your ship will be (Monte Carlo, Villefranche, Cannes, etc) and what you want to do and see. In your region you have places like Nice (a large city), Eze Village, St Paul de Vence, Antibes, etc etc. Personally, we love visiting the walled town of St Paul de Vence.. although getting there is a bit of a challenge if doing it on your own (it can be done with a train/bus combination).

We would just add that DW and I have been to Nice many times (and have stayed there a few nights) and still enjoy returning to this city for the morning Flower Market, strolling the old town area, having lunch in that same area.

Hank

Thank you for all your comments and I will elaborate in order to get additional advice.

We are tendering in from Monte Carlo....8-6. We do not want to rent a car. We have been to Nice and Cannes many times and have visited Monte Carlo as well. We want to do a day trip to somewhere scenic, quaint and charming using public transportation. However, I am looking to go to a place that does not require to many transfers. Somewhere direct by train or bus would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Again thanks for all your help. I am sure I will have a ton more questions.

Edited by envy4u

On my 3rd visit to Monte Carlo this summer, went to Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild via public transportation. LOVED it! I highly recommend Cap Ferrat & the surrounding area. See the links below for more:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093092

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44731727

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43913114

Enjoy your cruise!

Here's a Tripadvisor thread about the bus from Monte Carlo to Eze Village:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190409-i679-k5352660-Bus_from_Monte_Carlo_to_Eze_Village-Monte_Carlo.html

We took this bus from Nice to Eze Village and then onto Monte Carlo on a land trip once. I can try and hunt down the schedule if you need it.

If you go to Antibes, I would take the train....it would be a long bus ride from Monte Carlo.

Here is a link to our pictures from Eze

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/668

Thank you so much.... they are lovely.

Did you dock in Monte Carlo?

Sounds like it is much easier to get to Eze from Monte Carlo than St. Paul de Vence.

Does anyone know which bus stop and bus number we need to take from the port?

envy4u,

Much has been posted on Eze on these boards; do a search for more info, but here's some bus info from a previous post on my trip research:

Here's the website for the bus company: http://www.lignesdazur.com

Before you leave, you can search the web for the current schedules for each bus that serves the general area & the right combination for your schedule:

Bus 80, Bus 81, Bus 82, Bus 83, Bus 84, Bus 100, Bus 101, Bus 112

See this post for the schedules as of Summer 2014: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43891324&postcount=11

They are updated from time to time, so always check before you leave for the latest schedules! Since the buses are infrequent, I would advise printing the schedules in advance, along with the map. I would also print the options for the hours I expected to be in the area, as it's always a good idea to have a Plan B and C.

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

This site gives you step by step guide to bus to Eze..pictures and all!

http://www.avidcruiser.com/port-profiles/europe/mediterranean/france/eze/

Hey Stalker Doc lol....you could of sent this directly to me but happy you shared so others can benefit too. BTW love that website as it is very detailed.

p.s. such a show off with all those cruises under your belt or in your case stretch pants. hehehe.

P.S. you forgot last years 9 day cruise on Princess.

Thanks friend!!!! :cool:

Edited by envy4u

Thank you so much.... they are lovely.

Did you dock in Monte Carlo?

Sounds like it is much easier to get to Eze from Monte Carlo than St. Paul de Vence.

Does anyone know which bus stop and bus number we need to take from the port?

We went from Villefranche. The posters above give directions from Monte Carlo.

We took a look at the link (and directions to Eze) and think there is too much not said. The major issue with taking the bus to (and from Eze) is the bus schedule. So lets talk about the 112 bus mentioned in the link. The 112 bus leaves Monte Carlo at about 9:50 and then the next bus is not until 11:50 and the next at 3:05 (pm). If one wants to plan a day around a bus that can run more then 3 hours between buses, we say bless them. This is why we always warn folks to consider other options for Eze Village. Those that continue to suggest using public transit (which we often like to use in France) seem to neglect the actual issue of schedules.

And from Villefranche the 112 bus leaves at 9:18, 11:18 and then not again until 2:18. So folks need to carefully do their homework before trying to use this kind of public transit. The reality about buses in the Cote d'Azur is that some run on a very regular basis (such as the regular bus line between Nice and Monte Carlo) and other buses (like the bus to Eze or between Nice and St Paul de Vence...have an irregular schedule which does not often work for cruisers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We took a look at the link (and directions to Eze) and think there is too much not said. The major issue with taking the bus to (and from Eze) is the bus schedule. So lets talk about the 112 bus mentioned in the link. The 112 bus leaves Monte Carlo at about 9:50 and then the next bus is not until 11:50 and the next at 3:05 (pm). If one wants to plan a day around a bus that can run more then 3 hours between buses, we say bless them. This is why we always warn folks to consider other options for Eze Village. Those that continue to suggest using public transit (which we often like to use in France) seem to neglect the actual issue of schedules.

And from Villefranche the 112 bus leaves at 9:18, 11:18 and then not again until 2:18. So folks need to carefully do their homework before trying to use this kind of public transit. The reality about buses in the Cote d'Azur is that some run on a very regular basis (such as the regular bus line between Nice and Monte Carlo) and other buses (like the bus to Eze or between Nice and St Paul de Vence...have an irregular schedule which does not often work for cruisers.

Hank

Actually, this is one of the few cases where Eze by public transportation does work relatively well, because the bus times dovetail with OP's port times and Monaco does not require a transfer. OP seems to be porting in Monaco. Here's the schedule ( subject to change).

https://www.cg06.fr/documents/Import/servir-les-habitants/112.pdf

As long as they have a plan B if tenders go too slowly and they miss the 9:55, they can get to Eze and have enough time to enjoy with two busses that would get them back to Monaco in time. If they do miss the first bus possible...then plan B...such as Nice or train to Antibes.

I know the OP has previously visited Monaco, but for those who have not, I have learned to mark where the all the bus stops are for my destination on the map. For example, your trip research may say to take the bus from XYZ stop, but there are usually several other places you could catch the bus if Plan A doesn't work out. With the unique topography that is Monaco, it's good to plan in advance.

Here's a map for the local Monaco Stops: http://www.yourmonaco.com/travel/buses-trains/monaco-bus-company.html

The Monaco Tourism Board is very good at sending out packets with maps, brochures, etc. upon request: http://www.visitmonaco.com/ . I like to mark their maps when I plan. If you tell them you're a cruise passenger, they may be able to send out a coupon booklet, too (if not, pick them up when you get there).

Happy Travels!

DW reminded me of a fabulous port day we once had when tendering into Monte Carlo (before they started docking cruise ships). We were in MC for about 13 hours (7am to 8pm). We tendered ashore early and headed straight up the hill to our rental car office where we picked up a one-day rental for less then $100. Drove directly to Nice (along the lower route) and stopped at the delightful Flower Market to browse, shop, and enjoy a cup of java. Then it was back in the car for the 30 min drive over to St Paul de Vence (our favorite place in this region) where we arrived around 11. After spending 1 1/2 hours strolling though the walled city we stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch (with a view). About 2 pm we hopped back in the car and drove down to Antibes and parked in the lot adjacent to the harbor. We were early enough to still enjoy the indoor market, strolled around the harbor and shopping area, stopped for a drink and then back in the car about 3:30. We then took the slower (and more picturesque) route back to Nice, and then followed the Moyenne Corniche up to Eze Village. Stopped at Eze for some shopping and a glass of wine and finally dropped our car in Monte Carlo around 5:30 and tendered back to our ship in time for Happy Hour and dinner. Total cost of that 9 hour tour was about $50 per person (plus food and shopping).

We posted this to show an example of what can be done if one wants to have a very busy day at reasonable cost. What we did is doable from MC, Villefranche or Cannes.

Hank

DW reminded me of a fabulous port day we once had when tendering into Monte Carlo (before they started docking cruise ships). We were in MC for about 13 hours (7am to 8pm). We tendered ashore early and headed straight up the hill to our rental car office where we picked up a one-day rental for less then $100. Drove directly to Nice (along the lower route) and stopped at the delightful Flower Market to browse, shop, and enjoy a cup of java. Then it was back in the car for the 30 min drive over to St Paul de Vence (our favorite place in this region) where we arrived around 11. After spending 1 1/2 hours strolling though the walled city we stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch (with a view). About 2 pm we hopped back in the car and drove down to Antibes and parked in the lot adjacent to the harbor. We were early enough to still enjoy the indoor market, strolled around the harbor and shopping area, stopped for a drink and then back in the car about 3:30. We then took the slower (and more picturesque) route back to Nice, and then followed the Moyenne Corniche up to Eze Village. Stopped at Eze for some shopping and a glass of wine and finally dropped our car in Monte Carlo around 5:30 and tendered back to our ship in time for Happy Hour and dinner. Total cost of that 9 hour tour was about $50 per person (plus food and shopping).

We posted this to show an example of what can be done if one wants to have a very busy day at reasonable cost. What we did is doable from MC, Villefranche or Cannes.

Hank

Gosh, I wish I had your skill set!!! :). Our adventures with a car in Europe usually look like this.....get stuck with a manual...drive into Grenada Spain and try to get to reserved hotel which is up a hill in restricted access area...give up after three tries...drive to area airport....park car...take taxi to hotel. :eek:

Gosh, I wish I had your skill set!!! :). Our adventures with a car in Europe usually look like this.....get stuck with a manual...drive into Grenada Spain and try to get to reserved hotel which is up a hill in restricted access area...give up after three tries...drive to area airport....park car...take taxi to hotel. :eek:

ROFL! We have had our bad days too, but seldom on port days since they are pretty clear cut. On CC we have often warned folks that most rentals (sometimes the only option) in Europe are manual shifts (DW and I both love to drive sticks). Those that cannot drive a stick should either learn before they leave home or plan on paying a big premium for an automatic....if one can even find an automatic.

I think the best advance for rental cars are GPS units. We have our own Garmin loaded with European maps, but its also easy to rent them from the agencies. GPS gets credit for saving my marriage since DW is not a good map reader. In fact, one can sum up DWs map skills with this comment, "How can I find where we are on the map if I do not know where we are?"

Hank

Hank

ROFL! We have had our bad days too, but seldom on port days since they are pretty clear cut. On CC we have often warned folks that most rentals (sometimes the only option) in Europe are manual shifts (DW and I both love to drive sticks). Those that cannot drive a stick should either learn before they leave home or plan on paying a big premium for an automatic....if one can even find an automatic.

I think the best advance for rental cars are GPS units. We have our own Garmin loaded with European maps, but its also easy to rent them from the agencies. GPS gets credit for saving my marriage since DW is not a good map reader. In fact, one can sum up DWs map skills with this comment, "How can I find where we are on the map if I do not know where we are?"

Hank

Hank

sounds like me....lol

Hank

Hank

Your DW should meet my DH....who couldn't find his way out of a cracker box. :)

We usually do ok because I love maps and have a decent sense of direction (but that seems to be getting worse as I get older). But, unfortunately I am the one who owned stick shifts early in life...and even then I was white knuckling driving in northern California on some early trips. Our only hills here are freeway overpasses!

Next time, we'll spring for the GPS (looks like Normandy 2016).