Concerns regarding terrorism in Europe.

TinkBellaMom

I don't know where the proper place to ask this question would be.

My husband and I are booked on the Splendour out of Venice in Sept. 2015. With everything going on in the world lately, my husband is very concerned. He has tried to talk to me several times about canceling, I am just heartsick over this. We have already postponed several times--kids in college, major illness, etc. We have been planning on spending 1 week in Italy, before leaving on the cruise.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had these fears, and if you could share some insight.

Thank You!

Deb

I don't know where the proper place to ask this question would be.

My husband and I are booked on the Splendour out of Venice in Sept. 2015. With everything going on in the world lately, my husband is very concerned. He has tried to talk to me several times about canceling, I am just heartsick over this. We have already postponed several times--kids in college, major illness, etc. We have been planning on spending 1 week in Italy, before leaving on the cruise.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had these fears, and if you could share some insight.

Thank You!

Deb

G'day Deb

In my opinion you are at as much risk in the local mall as you are in Europe, or indeed most places in the world.

Living in the UK, my opinion, for what it's worth is as follows: Unfortunately, so called "experts" on US news have not helped the situation. Here in the UK we cannot believe the garbage we have heard. Especially from Steve Emerson on Fox news, telling the world that there are religious police on the streets, Muslim cities & no-go areas for non-muslims. It's simply not true. I honestly feel as safe today as I always have & would not change any of my travel plans.

I'm going echo what the first two posts have said you never know what is around the corner in your home town, life is all to short if one of you has had a serious illness you will understand that better then anyone. We all saw the tragic events of 9/11 and over here in London 7/7 and none of us will forget these events but we have to move on and live the lives that we want to or they will win. Paris last week was another sad day, but come to Europe and enjoy the sights.

I'm sorry for Fox News fans, but our US media is the best at spreading F.U.D. ( Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Please go and enjoy your cruise. Europe is such a beautiful place. We were just in Russia last August, and I have never been happier to ignore our media as I was during that cruise. We are returning to the UK and on to Norway in May and I can't wait.

Edited by Kevin's girl

You can be sitting in your living room and be killed by a meteorite; no place is totally safe. Many of my friends think I'm nuts going some of the places I've been to (Congo, Egypt, Central and South America, etc), but I do research on where I'm going and try to always be aware of the situation around me. I have three rules of travel that have always served me well:

1) I never do anything more dangerous than driving on Interstate 95

2) I never eat anything more disgusting in its living habits than a lobster

3) I never argue with the guy who has a machine gun

I just looked at crime statics for Fort Myers:eek: I didn't realize it was quite that bad there. Looks like you'll be safer going to Europe. Have a great trip:)

Thom

Living in the UK, my opinion, for what it's worth is as follows: Unfortunately, so called "experts" on US news have not helped the situation. Here in the UK we cannot believe the garbage we have heard. Especially from Steve Emerson on Fox news, telling the world that there are religious police on the streets, Muslim cities & no-go areas for non-muslims. It's simply not true. I honestly feel as safe today as I always have & would not change any of my travel plans.

Well said. Totally agree on your sentiments and although I can understand people's concerns, if we stop traveling the terrorists win.

I would go to Paris today if I didn't have to work (my heart breaks for the citizens of one of my favorite cities). I visited the Med during the Arab Spring when everyone was worried about things spreading. I went to Russia this summer when ppl were talking about canceling because of Ukraine.

I was in the Uk shortly after the 7/7 bombings. No problem.

I would have visited NYC after 9/11 without being scared.

Terrorists succeed when you stay at home. In addition, the safest place to be is wherever a terrorist attack recently happened....so much heightened security.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry for Fox News fans' date=' but our US media is the best at spreading F.U.D. ( Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Please go and enjoy your cruise. Europe is such a beautiful place. We were just in Russia last August, and I have never been happier to ignore our media as I was during that cruise. We are returning to the UK and on to Norway in May and I can't wait.[/quote']

LOL. :D I see. Your fabulous review lasted until you were (almost) ready to visit Europe again. :D:p:D That's not fair. You're going twice in less than a year...I can only wish we had that much time off. And no, we wouldn't be worried about visiting at all.

Edited by Coralc

My mother (then 79) was asked how she could possibly fly from Detroit to Sydney Australia two weeks after 9/11. She answered "I sailed through the Suez Canal shortly after Suez Canal Crisis, stopped in Panama City two weeks after a military coup d'etat, moved to Windsor, Ontario across the border from Detroit the year after the riots and visited London after the IRA bombings. There is always an excuse for not travelling and I might as well have stayed back in Melbourne, Australia for my entire life." I might add she joined us in Bali two months after the terrible bomb blast there. The Balinese people were so appreciative as they had nothing to do with the bombing and all the tourists had cancelled their bookings.

Europe is a very large place and your odds of being harmed are probably much lower than in your own home town. Security on the ships is verry strict.

I guess if people stay home then there will be less line-ups at my favorite gelaterias or to get into my favorite museums this summer.

I, for one, cannot wait to return to some of my favorite spots: Ireland in March and then a month all over Europe in June!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we all stay home, the terrorists have won.

EXACTLY!

I am an airline pilot. I have lived with the threat of a terrorist event every day since 9/11. I will not allow anyone to stop me. If I do... they have won.

They will never win. I will live my life free from fear. Do not let them win! Go about your life and enjoy every precious minute.

We had the same fears last year when we cruised out of Venice. It was fantastic.

Life is an adventure. Not one of us knows what God has planned for our lifes. We put our trust in God & enjoy life. If you hide under your bed, one day you will still die.

Venice is an absolutely amazing place and it would be a real pity to cancel. More so for the wrong reasons. Life is too short and there are way too many amazing places and countries to see.

Unfortunate terror attacks like those in Paris, NY and Mumbai (I was staying 5 buildings away from the Taj Mahal hotel when it was attacked on 26/11) only reinforce the fact that we've got to make the most of our lives and not allow these terrorists to succeed.

If you have the money, time and health, there should be no reason not to travel. Trust us, Europe will make you forget all your troubles. The places and the people are just amazing.

Absolutely

The fear mongering created by the US news outlets is ridiculous.

Just to echo what others have said. Europe is as safe as anywhere else, and safer than some on your own doorstep.

Don't let them win. Go, enjoy, experience some wonderful places. As with anywhere, at any time, be aware of your own safety, but go! :)

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! to all that responded. I have been reading them all to my husband. You all expressed the same sentiments that I have talked to him about. I say we are going!! We have saved and planned for this trip for a long time and I don't want to put it off any longer. I have read all the trip reports from this cruise and researched until I feel like I know what every place we will see will look like.

Thank You all for the help!

Deb

I'm sorry for Fox News fans' date=' but our US media is the best at spreading F.U.D. ( Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Please go and enjoy your cruise. Europe is such a beautiful place. We were just in Russia last August, and I have never been happier to ignore our media as I was during that cruise. We are returning to the UK and on to Norway in May and I can't wait.[/quote']

I agree 100%. My home town is more dangerous than anywhere we travel.