Concerns regarding terrorism in Europe.

TinkBellaMom

I don't think living in fear is the answer . Besides that one of my friends was sitting in living room and a car came right through the window , you just never know , I try to have faith that all will be good and enjoy today because , today is the only day we have , yesterday is gone and tomorrow we don't know . enjoy your cruise .

If you follow your husband's line of thinking (or that of some of the news media), any city in the U.S. could be the next target. I have been reading about 3 men in Rome, GA...a small non-threatening, non-Muslim town, where 3 men were plotting to kill police and people with home-made explosives in cities across the country. All white, non-Muslim to cause a religious war. It can happen anywhere. We were in Turkey a little over a year ago. The five of us had a private driver and a guide. We were alone in a van with two Muslim men, heading out to the mountains. People asked us before our trip and after our return why we would even go near Turkey and if we felt safe. It was a stop on our cruise and yes we felt safe. The people in Turkey were friendly, warm and kind. We would LOVE to have the opportunity to visit Turkey again. The cruise lines would be financially devastated if they endangered their passengers be sending them to place where they felt their passengers were in danger. They would cancel the stop/port. I say go and enjoy. You'll be as safe there as you are here.

Two years ago in a neighborhood south of Indianapolis, 3 idiots devised a scheme to collect a large insurance settlement on their home by starting a fire using the gas fireplace and the microwave. The home filled with gas and the resulting explosion leveled several houses in the neighborhood including the one next door in which two people died because firefighters could not get them out.

No one can guarantee safety, not in a foreign country or the US. I refuse to live with a "what if something happens" mentality.

Sherri:)

LOL. :D I see. Your fabulous review lasted until you were (almost) ready to visit Europe again. :D:p:D That's not fair. You're going twice in less than a year...I can only wish we had that much time off. And no, we wouldn't be worried about visiting at all.

Thanks, I stretched it out until I absolutely had to start planning the next one ;) As far as the time off, I squirrel away PTO like crazy. I always say my DH works to pay the bills, I work to travel. I hope by the time my time here on earth is done, I have had the best experiences and seen the most of the world as possible. We travel safe but won't allow the previously mentioned F.U.D to discourage our travel.

If the OP would like to get a more realistic feel for what is going on in Europe maybe reading more international news sites would help make her DH feel better.

We did a Med cruise in Sept out of Barcelona with stops in Italy and France and are now planning a cruise out of Venice in Oct. Yes I am a chicken! I don't really like to fly (but that's the only option at times) I am afraid of water (but I go snorkeling with a life jacket) I am afraid of heights (but have made my self rappel down a 50' wall)! I tend to think of all the worst case scenarios that can happen, but as my hubby says you can't live your life in fear all the time!

Yes it makes me nervous when you hear of attacks going on, but life is short why not go enjoy yourself? And hope and pray for the best!

Edited by tidygirl

G'day Deb

In my opinion you are at as much risk in the local mall as you are in Europe, or indeed most places in the world.

Agree. Life is worth living and no use worrying about things. If we stop living and let fear take over, We are letting them win.

I do not intend to let that happen, So I plan to live each and every day to the fullest.

Edited by Folk Singer

I don't know where the proper place to ask this question would be.

My husband and I are booked on the Splendour out of Venice in Sept. 2015. With everything going on in the world lately, my husband is very concerned. He has tried to talk to me several times about canceling, I am just heartsick over this. We have already postponed several times--kids in college, major illness, etc. We have been planning on spending 1 week in Italy, before leaving on the cruise.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had these fears, and if you could share some insight.

Thank You!

Deb

Go and enjoy Venice, and all of your travels! :)

We must not allow fear to paralyze our lives. Tell your husband to quit watching Fox news.

Don't waste these moments, we don't get them back again.

We will return to Venice in October, looking forward to this second visit.

Life is a journey that cannot be enjoyed if we don't get out there and live it.

I'm going to echo everyone elses comments.

We flew to Europe from Australia with Malaysia Airlines after MH370 disappeared.

We are flying Malaysia Airlines to Paris again in September.

Ultimately, My view is we've got to go sometime, and on a great trip on an amazing trip, if it all goes pear shaped, well, at least i didn't spend my time too scared to go outside.

Instead of worrying about a terrorist incident, worry about that idiot on a moped, the pickpocket, the aggressive pan handler, the Andretti like taxi diver, the surly MDR waiter, the long line to get on and off the ship, missing a flight connection and a host of other things that are much more likely to happen.:cool:

Please do not cancel. I waited years to visit Venice and I got my wish last year. We also cruised to Italy a year before. Fabulous! The stories on Fox News which came to my attention on social media were breathtaking in their inaccuracy.

I live approx 8 miles from Birmingham,England and I didn't recognise the city from the scaremongering going on. We visit most weekends and the stories were complete lies. The so called expert from Fox ended up donating to our children's hospital to try to make amends for the upset he had caused. Bad things happen everywhere but good things also happen but we tend not to publicise those. Have a lovely trip and enjoy. :)

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! to all that responded. I have been reading them all to my husband. You all expressed the same sentiments that I have talked to him about. I say we are going!! We have saved and planned for this trip for a long time and I don't want to put it off any longer. I have read all the trip reports from this cruise and researched until I feel like I know what every place we will see will look like.

Thank You all for the help!

Deb

I'm so glad responses are putting your mind at ease (and, BTW, I don't blame you or your husband for briefly questioning, it is scary when you see things on the news and can't get a good sense of what the situation really is.)

As an American living in Germany, I 100% agree with the other sentiments on this thread.

What I have been telling friends is that I do not feel the terrorist threat here is any more or less than what it is in the US and we have less threat from other random crazies with guns, so overall I still feel safer here.

And absolutely honestly, the only place I have felt ill at ease in the last few years of much travel was in a shopping mall in Southern Florida. I don't even know why, but I was on edge there the whole time.

You are more likely to die from a bee sting than terrorism.

Fox News creates a false sense of fear so you stay in your home and watch more Faux News making them more money from adverts, in the UK, most of those who work in Media/Television consider Fox News a comedy channel.

Please do not cancel. I waited years to visit Venice and I got my wish last year. We also cruised to Italy a year before. Fabulous! The stories on Fox News which came to my attention on social media were breathtaking in their inaccuracy.

I live approx 8 miles from Birmingham,England and I didn't recognise the city from the scaremongering going on. We visit most weekends and the stories were complete lies. The so called expert from Fox ended up donating to our children's hospital to try to make amends for the upset he had caused. Bad things happen everywhere but good things also happen but we tend not to publicise those. Have a lovely trip and enjoy. :)

I live about 15 miles from Birmingham, so for goodness sake don't let Fox News know about the Black Country

Terror can happen anywhere. Last week, in two separate incidents, two men from the Cincinnati suburbs were arrested in separate plots. The first was a plot to poison Speaker of the House Boehner. The second was a plot to blow up the US Capitol building.

Two separate incidents in the same American city.

Did I tell you, I'm also from the Cincinnati area. And no, there isn't a "For Sale" sign in front of my house.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!! to all that responded. I have been reading them all to my husband. You all expressed the same sentiments that I have talked to him about. I say we are going!! We have saved and planned for this trip for a long time and I don't want to put it off any longer. I have read all the trip reports from this cruise and researched until I feel like I know what every place we will see will look like.

Thank You all for the help!

Deb

Since you have cancelled this trip several times already, maybe security isn't the real reason your hubby wants to cancel again.

Living in the UK, my opinion, for what it's worth is as follows: Unfortunately, so called "experts" on US news have not helped the situation. Here in the UK we cannot believe the garbage we have heard. Especially from Steve Emerson on Fox news, telling the world that there are religious police on the streets, Muslim cities & no-go areas for non-muslims. It's simply not true. I honestly feel as safe today as I always have & would not change any of my travel plans.

Not just Fox news- how about the BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7173599.stm

Not just Fox news- how about the BBC?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7173599.stm

This does not get Fox off the hook for the incredible stupidity of its commentator on this issue.

In the link you provide BBC is directly quoting an individual who had that opinion. In the case of Fox News, they were making unsubstantiated claims in their own right. There is a BIG difference between reporting what someone else has said and saying the words as your own. I'm hoping you do understand that difference.