Concerns regarding terrorism in Europe.

TinkBellaMom

This does not get Fox off the hook for the incredible stupidity of its commentator on this issue.

In the link you provide BBC is directly quoting an individual who had that opinion. In the case of Fox News, they were making unsubstantiated claims in their own right. There is a BIG difference between reporting what someone else has said and saying the words as your own. I'm hoping you do understand that difference.

Emerson does not claim to represent Fox news- neither is the Judge Jeanine show a news program by any stretch. He was one contributor to a Saturday night talk show on topical matters, but not a serious source of news. Fox News have issued statements to the effect that Emerson's views are strictly his own opinion. . I hope you understand the difference.

Living in the UK, my opinion, for what it's worth is as follows: Unfortunately, so called "experts" on US news have not helped the situation. Here in the UK we cannot believe the garbage we have heard. Especially from Steve Emerson on Fox news, telling the world that there are religious police on the streets, Muslim cities & no-go areas for non-muslims. It's simply not true. I honestly feel as safe today as I always have & would not change any of my travel plans.

Fox News is the US equivalent of the Daily Mail. :rolleyes: Not for serious news gathering.

Emerson does not claim to represent Fox news- neither is the Judge Jeanine show a news program by any stretch. He was one contributor to a Saturday night talk show on topical matters, but not a serious source of news. Fox News have issued statements to the effect that Emerson's views are strictly his own opinion. . I hope you understand the difference.

Wish CC had a "like" button.

Edited by BeagleOne

Emerson does not claim to represent Fox news- neither is the Judge Jeanine show a news program by any stretch. He was one contributor to a Saturday night talk show on topical matters, but not a serious source of news. Fox News have issued statements to the effect that Emerson's views are strictly his own opinion.. I hope you understand the difference.
You are correct that Emerson is not directly employed by Fox News, does not claim to represent Fox News, and Fox has claimed that Emerson's views are strictly his own opinion. I was remiss in not pointing that out. However Emerson is paid by Fox to express his opinions, and they have a good idea what his opinions will be. In the case of the BBC NEWS article I don't think only payment was made in reporting what a public figure had said, so I see a considerable difference.

It is valid for a news organization to present a wide variety of opinions in commentaries. I do however feel that the organization is responsible for upholding a level of truth by their paid commentators. Captain Louis Renault in the movie Casablanca was not shocked, despite his claims, that gambling was going on at Rick's. Fox News was not shocked to learn the views and looseness with the truth of their paid commentator.

Well, just to share an update on the trip in Sept. We had a heart to heart and we ARE going!!! We have even decided to spend some extra time in Venice before the cruise. I really appreciate all of the insight from everyone. We have not really traveled out of the US further than the Caribbean and Mexico. We have had to postpone this trip before because I was fighting breast cancer.

I read hubby all the posts and he agreed life is too short to stay home when we have an opportunity like this.

On another point----he will no longer believe anything he hears on Fox News!!!!!

thank you all!

Edited by TinkBellaMom

Well, just to share an update on the trip in Sept. We had a heart to heart and we ARE going!!! We have even decided to spend some extra time in Venice before the cruise. I really appreciate all of the insight from everyone. We have not really traveled out of the US further than the Caribbean and Mexico. We have had to postpone this trip before because I was fighting breast cancer.

I read hubby all the posts and he agreed life is too short to stay home when we have an opportunity like this.

On another point----he will no longer believe anything he hears on Fox News!!!!!

thank you all!

ENJOY!

Thom

thank you all!

Have a wonderful trip.

I don't know where the proper place to ask this question would be.

My husband and I are booked on the Splendour out of Venice in Sept. 2015. With everything going on in the world lately, my husband is very concerned. He has tried to talk to me several times about canceling, I am just heartsick over this. We have already postponed several times--kids in college, major illness, etc. We have been planning on spending 1 week in Italy, before leaving on the cruise.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had these fears, and if you could share some insight.

Thank You!

Deb

Don't see anything in this question regarding any fear mongering by ANY news media. The OP merely pointed out that her husband was concerned because of all the things happening in the world.

What things? Could it be the fact that 17 people were murdered in Paris or the fact that the European police and intelligence forces are still busy trying to round up multiple terrorist cells bent on killing more people in Europe?.

No, the husband was being lied to by Fox News:):)

thank you all!

So very glad you are going ahead with your plans. My husband had reservations about our Med cruise in 2013 when things started heating up in Syria. Since one of our port stops was in Turkey, he felt it was too close for comfort. After showing him a map and the distance between Kusadasi and the Syrian border, it somewhat relieved his fears.

Our stop on Turkey was one of the highlights of the trip and we are so glad we got to experience all that beauty and history.

I also reminded him that as New Yorkers, we are prime targets for another terrorist attack yet we go on with our lives and hope for the best.

What a wonderful celebration of your victory over illness! Enjoy every minute.

In all my travels, it was the hands down the most magical and I'm certain it will be for you as well.

This article is from 2008. Hardly a reflection or comment on the current situation.

Here is a more current report by a UK Police Constable. He says a lot of the same things Emerson opined..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2541635/Murders-rapes-going-unreported-no-zones-police-minority-communities-launch-justice-systems.html

Don't see anything in this question regarding any fear mongering by ANY news media. The OP merely pointed out that her husband was concerned because of all the things happening in the world.

What things? Could it be the fact that 17 people were murdered in Paris or the fact that the European police and intelligence forces are still busy trying to round up multiple terrorist cells bent on killing more people in Europe?.

No, the husband was being lied to by Fox News:):)

Well, it is well established that people who watch Fox have less accurate knowledge of current affairs. But leaving comedy channels aside, the issue is whether or not to travel. My summary of the comments made here: 1-the threat has been exaggerated, 2-compared to Hometown USA a the threat is not that great, 3-even if there is some threat, go, live, enjoy. The alternative is to build a shelter, buy survival food, buy some weapons, and barricade yourself in for the duration. Cruising is a lot more fun

Each person must learn to conquer their own fears in their own way, or live with the consequences. To me, living in fear is akin to living in a prison. For one to be truly free they must learn to deal with their innermost fears. Telling folks that its more dangerous in place A then in place B, or that their fears are not justified....does not generally do much to help them deal with their own demons. Accordingly we have no helpful words for the OP, who must simply make up his/her own mind of whether they want to be imprisoned by their own fears.

Hank

We are just as concerned about travelling in the US as we are in Europe.

Why? The exceedingly high rate of physical crime and the murder rate in US cities. Potential visitors from outside the U.S. are very much aware of the unusual and liberal gun laws and it does concern them. And for some Europeans that we have met in our travels this is frightening.

Recent history has shown that the U.S. is certainly not immune from acts of terrorism either by it's own citizens or foreign nationals. Or acts by out and out crackpots.

So, we do not see much of a difference.

It is a dangerous world out there but we have rejected staying at home and watching Fox or CNN.

Edited by iancal

thank you all!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

For a number of years I refused to fly (despite having done a lot previously) and I travelled within other methods. Hubby had the fear of flying too so one day i said to him 'If you are going to get me on a plane it has to be amazing'.

We found an westbound Panama cruise with a stay in Florida and booked it. We were both terrified leading up to it but it was a wonderful experience. I remember touching down after (In Birmingham airport may I add) and feeling that I had achieved something.

The last day of our Cruise the UK also issued the terror threat as severe as well and we had to fly back.

You will be fine and Italy actually has a lower terror alert (apparently) than the more northern former powers such as the UK, Germany and France.

I also live a 15 minute ride away from Birmingham and its a great city where everyone freely roams. :)

I agree with many posts on this thread, however I would like to know how the above statement can be backed up.

bosco

Probably referring to this survey:

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/174826/survey-nprs-listeners-best-informed-fox-news-viewers-worst-informed/

But let's not turn this into a debate on news sources lest the discussion gets pulled. The OP has decided to cruise and there is some good info posted to help others.

To emedia43

Regarding this article the person named Tom Winsor is not a Police Officer of any kind. He is a politician and is head of an organisation called Her Majesty's Inspectorate Of Constabulary.This is a Goverment body which overseas how the Police Forces of England and Wales are run. The organisation used to be headed by a former Chief Constable( a Police Officer), but the present UK Goverment have become very Anti-Police for various reasons and decided to appoint one of their own lackeys to this very important position. This man knows nothing about the Police or Policing. Anything he says with regard to policing should be taken with a pinch of salt.

thank you all!

Have a fantastic trip! :)

I was telling my husband just last week that I thought that the more obscure places in Europe were going to have more tourists due to fear of travelling to Paris, London, Rome , Barcelona ect.

Slovenia came to mind. We spent one port day there in 2011 and it would be a wonderful place to explore for a week IMO.

Everyone has to do what is right for them.

edit: Just read your last post OP. Have a wonderful cruise. Venice is lovely.

Edited by Karysa