Childrens menus

jamesporritt

I know they had mac & cheese, chicken fingers, and grilled cheese.

I didn't actually see it. The member of our party who orders from the children's menu is 18 and can read! But she's a picky eater.

It was a real menu, on a nice menu card, not a placemat with crayons like on Royal Caribbean. So a little less humiliating for the adult-who-eats-like-a-child.

Don't be limited by the kid's menu.

Each night, our kids read the adult menu first.

My 8 year old, ordered every night off the adult menu. My 7 year old would have a look. If nothing appealed to him, he'd go with a cheeseburger on the kid's menu. Both my kids enjoyed the "everyday sirloin steak".

They would also customize the adult menu, such as getting prime rib with fries (instead of mashed potatoes or whatever it was supposed to come with).

There is a roasted or grilled chicken breast on the main menu that I would recommend over chicken fingers/nuggets on the kid's menu.

Hello James:

My son is about to go on his 7th cruise - his 5th with Celebrity - started cruising when he was ~7 years old. He was always offered a children's menu in the dining room and, as a nice touch, always asked him which menu he wanted the first night. A real right of passage when he asked for the "adult" one! The gifts of the waitstaff are how quickly they learn people's preferences. By the 2nd night they were asking to confirm his choices and by the 3rd night, the chocolate milk was already on the table when we arrived and they would just ask him, "The usual, Mr. ...???" He would say yes thank you and there you would go. And this wasn't on just one sailing... this was the care taken every sailing, year after year.

Children's menu offerings were typical - chicken fingers, pizza, pasta. My son would ask for a serving of melon as his starter, then ask for an "adult sized" portion of pasta for his entree. He loved the great bread basket. He has, with time, grown into a far more adventurous eater.

Some specialty restaurants may have age restrictions... check on that. We were permitted to bring him to Tuscan Grill when he was 10 or so, and he politely asked for off the menu pasta and it was graciously and easily brought for him.

The critical thing was and is, my son is exceptionally respectful and well-mannered. Every request was kindly asked and never ordered, and he freely expressed his genuine appreciation and thanks when the waitstaff would go to any trouble for him. I was told over and over sailing after sailing that they appreciated his good manners, and that, sadly, they were not always in evidence by others.

So, bottom line, children will eat well on or off menu in MDR or elsewhere. Just pack a bit of flexibility and good manners, and you'll be all set.

Has anyone experience of the children's menus at all in the MDR? What sort of stuff do they have on? Are they available in any of the speciality restaurants at all?

Thanks,

James.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Attached is the menu, hopefully it will work and you'll be able to see it.

My 4 year old sometimes ate off this, sometimes from the adults menu (he LOVED the cold soups) and sometimes we fed him in the buffet and took him to kids club before we ate. Don't worry, no matter how fussy your child is, they will not go hungry!

IMG_4648.jpg.c12b1732eeb0147856c8234646355b94.jpg

• 6 months later...