LeHavre Options

Vineyard View

We arrive in Le Havre in Viking Star mid-May Researching options other than Paris.

I would appreciate advice - Normandy Beaches? Which tour company?

Or take the day to explore other areas via rental car or train?

We have not been to any of these options (Paris we have been to). All seem attractive in their own different way. Since we have no port times yet, it is also a difficult decision that said, I am trying to line up various ports

Thank you. I realize that there is a very generic piece to this post!

My vote is for the D-Day sites, because I am very interested in history, but only you can decide what you are interested in seeing.

We used Overlord Tours (mentioned above), and they were terrific. They are small and book up quickly, so if you are interested, book soon. (You might already be tool late for May.) They are also very pricey, so you'll probably want to hook up with others on your Roll Call. If you do a search in this forum, you'll also find other recommended guides in Normandy.

If you decide to do a D-Day tour, I strongly suggest watching (or re-watching) "The Longest Day." It's a little cheesy by today's standards but the history is great and you'll appreciate what you are seeing even more. (And then of course there's the opening half hour of "Saving Private Ryan.")

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

We arrive in Le Havre in Viking Star mid-May Researching options other than Paris.

I would appreciate advice - Normandy Beaches? Which tour company?

Or take the day to explore other areas via rental car or train?

We have not been to any of these options (Paris we have been to). All seem attractive in their own different way. Since we have no port times yet, it is also a difficult decision that said, I am trying to line up various ports

Thank you. I realize that there is a very generic piece to this post!

How many days do you have to explore?

Apart from OP comments a trip Mont Saint Michel is awesome.

It is a few hundred km round trip but IMO worthwhile

We visited D-Day beaches during a prior port call at LeHavre, so this past spring seven of us rented a van for a day trip to Giverny. The gardens were simply lovely. We also stopped for an hour at Honfleur on the return. A very enjoyable day.

Hi Northern Aurora,

I'd be very interested to know long it took you to get to Giverny and how long you stayed at Monet's gardens?

Did you have lunch at Honfleur?

Edited by paddingtonbear

Hi,

We have hired a car and we are going to drive to Giverny to see Monet's garden then driving back to Honfleur.

Mont Saint-Michel looks great but I am not sure about the amount of time we will have left after Monet's garden.

Are you thinking about doing all that in a single day off a ship calling at Le Havre? I'll let the northern France experts weigh in, but I fear it will be too much, particularly since Giverny is pretty much in the opposite direction from Mont St. Michel. What about a stop in Rouen on the way back from Giverny?

Are you thinking about doing all that in a single day off a ship calling at Le Havre? I'll let the northern France experts weigh in, but I fear it will be too much, particularly since Giverny is pretty much in the opposite direction from Mont St. Michel. What about a stop in Rouen on the way back from Giverny?

Yes I think it would be too much, too. We aren't going to Mont Saint Michel

Rouen does not get glowing reviews.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app