Alcohol in San Juan

wingnt68

Many years ago we were allowed to buy alcohol in the terminal and bring it onboard and take it to our stateroom as long as it was in our carry on. Is that still true?

Yes and no. Yes, you can still buy alcohol in the terminal and yes you can bring it onboard in your carry on. However no, you are not allowed to do that.

Essentially, you buy the alcohol in the terminal just before the security check (local security not Carnival security) where they scan the alcohol still in the liquor store's bag. Once you go through that security check, you then stick the alcohol into your carry on and promptly board the ship walking past the alcohol table where you are supposed to turn it in.

Of course, you are still allowed you 1 bottle of wine or champagne per adult in your carry on.

Let the flaming begin...

This is what we did. Bought the booze from store inside the terminal. Left it in the original bag from the store. Did not try and hide it. Went through Carnival security. They tag it with a ribbon and let you go on. Walk around the corner, stop, place it in a carry-on or backpack and walk on towards the ship. You will be on the "Z" shaped gangway. Right before you walk on the ship there will be a table set up to take the booze that was tagged earlier. Of course they can't see it cause it's now safely tucked away in your backpack or carry-on. Just act normal and you're in with your stash. Easy peasy!

Edited by finoky

How many years ago? I've been cruising for 15 years and they never knowingly allowed it to go to the rooms.

For at least a few years now including up to last week. :)

Enforcement of the Liquor and Beverage Policy has always been very lax when cruising out of San Juan. Last week they were not even tagging the obvious store bags with alcohol in them. I carried through a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart in the store bag and I was not even questioned or my bag orange tagged.

Edited by ZanzibarJackson