QM2 WC hold up at Port Said?

cunardaddict

Roscoe, the death penalty for homosexuality is not applicable in Oman, according to this:

"...The maximum penalty for homosexuality in Oman is three years in prison, whereas in other Gulf states, longer sentences, flogging and even the death penalty are not unknown..." copied from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-23948083 (Interesting article)

However, according to the Canadian Government "Common-law relationships, homosexual relations, adultery and prostitution are illegal and are subject to severe punishment, including the death penalty." copied from http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/oman

Wow! When do you ever find so much time to look for so many websites to support your claims?

Wow! When do you ever find so much time to look for so many websites to support your claims?

Actually Oahucruiser, you'll noticed I first quoted a website to support Roscoe's statement, and then I cited where my information came from (BTW, it wasn't "my claim" - it was information derived from the Canadian Government website which I've found to be usually very reliable).

I don't make claims and then do research - it is initial research/information that forms my opinions which I am more than willing to adjust in light of better information. Anyway, as a reply to your query: once you learn how to do research, it takes no time at all to find information from reputable various sources on the Internet. It also helps to be a fast typist. Plus it's possible to do several things at once while researching. - Thanks for asking.:) Aloha, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Don't know whether or not there's any connection, but the "breaking news" in the UK is of riots in parts of Egypt,(Cairo and Alexandria) with 11 people shot dead by the Police following riots in the street forth anniversary of the "Arab Spring"................

Yes, it appears that avoiding that port stop was the safest plan, as shown by this recent report from the region: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/30/uk-egypt-violence-sinai-idUKKBN0L22IL20150130 Very sad news.

Edited by Salacia

QM2 has not yet started into the Suez Canal. She is anchored outside Port Said since early morning.

Better to be safe than sorry, as the saying goes.

"...After Sinai Province's claim of responsibility [for a series of militant attacks], security sources said a suspected militant had been killed while attempting to plant a bomb at a power transformer in Port Said." - quoted from http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/30/uk-egypt-violence-sinai-idUKKBN0L22IL20150130

While looking at the tracking data of QM2 on Marinetraffic I discovered, QM2 seems to have missed Abu Dhabi today. Does anybody have more information?

f83b9049f823e3576f6a1f51053803e7.jpg

Just for further clarification if you look at the western track the last plot is at 22.22.58 UT 30/01/2015 but the first plot of the eastern track is at 16.10.UT 31/01/2015. Because of the lack of plots in those 18 hours the system has simply joined those plots giving a false course for QM2.

For some reason there was no VHF coverage between those times. Could simply be lack of a receiving station for the system or some security measures in the area.

QM2 webcam did show her in port earlier today. I am watching her progress with particular interest because friends are on board and we are impatiently waiting to join her in April in Cape Town.

Salacia, I live in Hawaii but that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to learn about different cultures, people, history and expand my knowledge. Should I stay at home just because I live in Paradise?

I could post numerous links about the negatives of visiting Paris, Venice, Hong Kong or your state of New York but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to go there. We have been lucky enough to visit several ports in Oman 4 times and each time we have thoroughly enjoyed the people, the places, the unique history and learning about what positive things that the Sultan has provided for his people. We behave appropriately and have never had a problem. I'd return again anytime.

Aloha, Patti

Aloha Patti. I had a few minutes to come back to your post...

Now I remember why I had a difficult time understanding why you so objected to my saying that I was not comfortable visiting Oman for reasons that I related.

Remember saying you didn't want port stops in India an China? here is what you wrote in post #26 on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45336453#post45336453

"We have booked the QV 2016 world cruise from San Francisco to Southampton and then the QM2 to New York. We opted for the QV's voyage because there are no stops in India and China. Having had to go through the expensive, difficult and lengthy process of applying to those two places several times, we chose an itinerary that doesn't include them"

I suppose we all have different reasons for wanting to visit certain places (or not visit). If you are deterred by expense, difficulty and length of process, that is certainly your choice. Priorities differ. Contradictions abound.

Aloha,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia