Amber cove, Dominican Republic

love2traveljen

Nice! I spent 10 years working on cruise ships (mostly Royal Caribbean) but this passed fantasy cruise was my first real cruise as a passenger, and a first for my family. I went all out last time, so they would want to go again... It was a success! Lol. Have you booked any excursions yet? So far I booked the La Casa En la Playa - A Select Retreat. It's the beach day, which they only sell I think 30 or so tickets, so it's not so crowded, and private chef. It will be nice to relax without a boatload (no pun intended lol) of people. This is in Amber cove. We also booked a private snorkel tour, with an outside company in at Thomas. The other two ports we will just walk around. San Juan, is nice to walk around in, and we have been to grand Turk, in that fantasy. I think that will be a shopping day.

If someone could post how the snorkling is , I am very interested !! Thank you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1995

Disney Wonder April 2009

Carnival Liberty Oct 2012

Carnival Breeze Feb 2014

If someone could post how the snorkling is , I am very interested !! Thank you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1995

Disney Wonder April 2009

Carnival Liberty Oct 2012

Carnival Breeze Feb 2014

I doubt there will be any decent snorkeling here on a grey Atlantic ocean beach. This is not the Caribbean side, Puerta Plata was one of my week long vacation "mistakes".

I really want to do the 27 waterfall hike of damajagua. Its not listed as tour thru carnival...yet.

I also really can't find any independent tours because the port is not open. I have emailed them to ask if they will do tours for cruise ships. Waiting to hear back.

So I am assuming we are near Puerto Plata. If I can get there maybe I could a cab to the falls?

I emailed to a Seavis Tours who we've used in Bayahibe, and their reply was as follows

"Amber Cove is near Puerto Plata, this is too far away for us to organize excursions. I'm also not aware of good providers in that area because the port is new."

I do hope some of the experienced tour operators take this opportunity to run tours from this new port.

• 2 weeks later...

I also really can't find any independent tours because the port is not open. I have emailed them to ask if they will do tours for cruise ships. Waiting to hear back.

There are a few tour operators there already that can take you to falls

Here is one (I have no experience with them but others on Cruise a Critic have)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just booked the Valor for May 2016 and Amber Cove is one of the stops. I know nothing about it and from reading this thread, not many do. I'm just thrilled that we won't be going to the murder capital of the Bahama's, aka Nassau. ;)

I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope those that sail before me will report back and share their info and experiences.

I am booked on a Princess Dec 23, 2016 cruise going to Amber Cove.

This is a new island for us. By the time, I go there will be many ships that have been to this island.

Will be looking forward to any reviews about this island for ship tours or private.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this email from Marysol tous here is what they will be offering from the new Amber Cove Cruise Terminal....

I am Francisco from Marysol tours.

Thank you for contact us and welcome to my country.

Yes we will do some tours, starting at the new Amber Cove cruise terminal.

☆ Puerto Plata city wit the Cable car, half day from 9:00 am

We visit the Rum factory, the Amber museum, the Fort San Filipe, Central Park with his church, fruit market, Malecon, cigar factory, Victorian houses where you have time for shopping.

Price is 35 u.s plus 10 u.s for the cable car fee.

☆27 water falls, is half day from 9:00 am and the idea is to give you plenty time to enjoy it, also if you want we can organice with meal at maimon restaurant with fish or sea food.

Price is 45 u.s per person with the water falls fee included.

☆ Horse back riding half day to the mountain or the beach, from 9:00 am.

Price is 45 u.s per person

☆Done Buggies or Quad Bike. Is half day from 9:00 am to the beach and to the mountain 1 machine for one person or 2 persons.

Price is 80 u.s

Please let me know if you need more imformations.

Also I would like to the when you will ve visiting my country.

Thank you and hope to meet you soon

Francisco

marysol tours

Just received this email from Marysol tous here is what they will be offering from the new Amber Cove Cruise Terminal....

I am Francisco from Marysol tours.

Thank you for contact us and welcome to my country.

Yes we will do some tours, starting at the new Amber Cove cruise terminal.

☆ Puerto Plata city wit the Cable car, half day from 9:00 am

We visit the Rum factory, the Amber museum, the Fort San Filipe, Central Park with his church, fruit market, Malecon, cigar factory, Victorian houses where you have time for shopping.

Price is 35 u.s plus 10 u.s for the cable car fee.

☆27 water falls, is half day from 9:00 am and the idea is to give you plenty time to enjoy it, also if you want we can organice with meal at maimon restaurant with fish or sea food.

Price is 45 u.s per person with the water falls fee included.

☆ Horse back riding half day to the mountain or the beach, from 9:00 am.

Price is 45 u.s per person

☆Done Buggies or Quad Bike. Is half day from 9:00 am to the beach and to the mountain 1 machine for one person or 2 persons.

Price is 80 u.s

Please let me know if you need more imformations.

Also I would like to the when you will ve visiting my country.

Thank you and hope to meet you soon

Francisco

marysol tours

Thanks for posting! I just looked them up yesterday looking for something in April 2016.

I have visited Puerto Plata several times (and write about it regularly) and can say from personal experience that you will absolutely fall in love with the city and will enjoy yourself immensely on your excursions. Feel free to ask me any questions as well and I will try my best to answer them for you.

IPP, what would you suggest for doing with a 10 yr. old and a 6 yr. old.

I read somewhere they will have a waterpark where Carnival is building but not sure we want to do that all day! Thank you for any suggestions!!!!!

I have visited Puerto Plata several times (and write about it regularly) and can say from personal experience that you will absolutely fall in love with the city and will enjoy yourself immensely on your excursions. Feel free to ask me any questions as well and I will try my best to answer them for you.

I'd really like to know more about 27 waterfalls if you have any info.

Thanks!