Amber cove, Dominican Republic

love2traveljen

I am booked on Carnival Splendor leaving 11/8/15 for a week. It includes a stop at Amber Cove. There are many excursions listed for the stop: https://secure.carnival.com/Activities/Excursions/Booking/44794B6F79596D59667238313975634D7770664E39673D3D

Following this tread for ideas. I will be with a group of 5 children and 6 adults of all ages. Very excited for the new port!

If someone could post how the snorkling is , I am very interested !! Thank you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1995

Disney Wonder April 2009

Carnival Liberty Oct 2012

Carnival Breeze Feb 2014

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Joining! We go at the end of January on the Carnival Sunshine!

I was hoping for the RIU all Inclusive day pass to be added to our choices on Carnival, but I do not see it listed yet???

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I saw it on the FB page for Amber Cover so I know they offer it.

I may check out some outside tour companys too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, check out Iguana Mama tours in Cabarete. They will be offering tours to Amber Cove passengers.
Hey Michael :)

I agree with this. Iguana Mama is one of the most respected tour companies on the North Coast. I have lived here 4 years and I would recommend them to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be going here early January. Thinking we want to do the waterfall tour. So far it looks like only Iguana Mama's has that tour available to book. $69 doesn't seem bad since it includes lunch / booze. Anyone else found anything better?

Just received this email from Marysol tous here is what they will be offering from the new Amber Cove Cruise Terminal....

I am Francisco from Marysol tours.

Thank you for contact us and welcome to my country.

Yes we will do some tours, starting at the new Amber Cove cruise terminal.

☆ Puerto Plata city wit the Cable car, half day from 9:00 am

We visit the Rum factory, the Amber museum, the Fort San Filipe, Central Park with his church, fruit market, Malecon, cigar factory, Victorian houses where you have time for shopping.

Price is 35 u.s plus 10 u.s for the cable car fee.

☆27 water falls, is half day from 9:00 am and the idea is to give you plenty time to enjoy it, also if you want we can organice with meal at maimon restaurant with fish or sea food.

Price is 45 u.s per person with the water falls fee included.

☆ Horse back riding half day to the mountain or the beach, from 9:00 am.

Price is 45 u.s per person

☆Done Buggies or Quad Bike. Is half day from 9:00 am to the beach and to the mountain 1 machine for one person or 2 persons.

Price is 80 u.s

Please let me know if you need more imformations.

Also I would like to the when you will ve visiting my country.

Thank you and hope to meet you soon

Francisco

marysol tours

I read in some reviews that the jeep tours only will take you up to #7 of the 27 waterfalls. Do you know anything about it?

btw .... check Google Earth

you can see the site pretty easily, about 5.5 miles west of Puerto Plata

the 'water park' similar to Sea World is almost exactly halfway 'tween the two.

there is good water sports including snorkeling at Sousa ... a few miles east of Puerto Plata

ask nice and I'll hang the picture . . .

So.. I was looking at excursions for Amber Cove this morning. We generally DYI but I was trying to figure out which beaches are near by that excursions go to. In doing so I noticed this all inclusive excursion for $49 a person. (Lifestyle VIP Vacation Resort, when looking up the property there is a VIP area and non VIP area it sounds like)

There are two other beach break like excursions that are $39 for just the beach and $49 which includes lunch. I couldn't figure out why someone would pay $49 for just lunch vs the same price for an all inclusive resort? There is limited availability for the Resort excursion so I booked it. ( It is so unlike me) And $49 dollars for all inclusive is a great price and although we aren't huge drinkers it would be nice to have a frozen drink or two.

I can cancel if the reviews are bad so looking forward to what other people have to say. I am thinking the price is lower now because no one has gone yet but that the price will increase? I looked up the resort and it looks nice but it is a timeshare property. If reviews come back that the price is low because you get hounded by time share people the whole time I will probably cancel!! ha

Anyone else notice this?

People were recomending Mel Tours on trip advisor. I e-mailed them and they confirmed they will support Amnber Cove. They responded to my e-mail within 24 hours and it looks like they have a nice selection of tours.

• 3 weeks later...
I have visited Puerto Plata several times (and write about it regularly) and can say from personal experience that you will absolutely fall in love with the city and will enjoy yourself immensely on your excursions. Feel free to ask me any questions as well and I will try my best to answer them for you.

Interested in a safe, quiet, uncrowded beach near Amber Cove and info on how to get there as well as approximate transportation cost.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the Fantasy 11 October cruise also. Looks like we will be the second Carnival ship to use this new port!! I've never booked an excursion through the ship, have always done my own and private tours. However as this is a new port for them I will stick with a ship offered one this time. Now to figure out which one to book... Not having reviews or the help of others who've been makes it tough lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always done my own excursions too. However, I am finding that Carnival has made it very difficult for the local tour operators to reach us at this new port. What do you decide to do? I was thinking of an all-inclusive beach day; however, after reading reviews on trip advisor of all the people getting sick at these RIU resorts, I am not sure I want to risk leaving the ship.

Edited by chesterka

Amber is one of our stops. We leave on the Splendor Nov 8th. We booked at the RIU next door to the port. I will let you know how it is when we get back.

Did you book a day pass on your own or through Carnival. it seems that the RIU would be close enough to take a taxi. Just wondering if this can be done without purchasing an excursion through carnival?

Did you book a day pass on your own or through Carnival. it seems that the RIU would be close enough to take a taxi. Just wondering if this can be done without purchasing an excursion through carnival?

I booked thru Carnival. I will ask when I get to the RIU if you can just go there to purchase. I only booked thru Carnival because it was a new port with new excursions.... Not enough information, and didn't want to take a chance.

I have visited Puerto Plata several times (and write about it regularly) and can say from personal experience that you will absolutely fall in love with the city and will enjoy yourself immensely on your excursions. Feel free to ask me any questions as well and I will try my best to answer them for you.

Is it possible to get a tour into the surrounding countryside?