Can Downs Syndrome Adult Child be bumped from handicapped cabin?

TVLady2

Were booked in a NCL Dawns handicapped balcony cabin. My 30yr old son is ambulatory. Ever since his surgery, which was the removal of part of his colon, I need to take care of his daily toileting and hygiene needs. I need the space in a larger bathroom to personally take care of him. My question is can we be bumped out of this handicapped cabin if he does not use a wheelchair?

Probably not because you do have a need for the larger bathroom. I have 2 kids in wheelchairs so I know what the bathrooms are like in the handicap cabins but I have heard that in the "regular" cabins they are very small and don't think there is anyway you could get two people in them. As long as the cruise line knows that you must have a larger bathroom you should be fine.

Star Princess 7/03(Alaska)

It depends.

If you told NCL about the specifics for your access need for a larger bathroom, i would say you are probably safe.

If on the other hand you just said you have a son who has Downs Syndrome and who is ambulatory, then I'd say it's reasonable for the cruise line to expect that you could make due with a standard cabin.

I would contact the special needs department at NCL just to make sure you access needs are appropriately noted.

Candy

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
[url="http://www.EmergingHorizons.com"]www.EmergingHorizons.com[/url]
The only accessible travel magazine

My TA aways Faxes an updated physician's letter to the cruise line to support the specific need for a handicapped cabin. We travel with this letter, along with any other medical information clearly indicated on the doctor's letterhead.
I've been on the Nor. Dawn and Star, and found the bathrooms to be a good size in outside [balcony] non-handicapped cabins. The toilet has grab bars, and a partition for privacy. The only problem I forsee is bath tub v. shower.
I find the greatest challenge in assisting my Mom when we fly. Two adults really can fit into an airplane's bathroom!

Darcy

Archived