Carnival's Superbowl Commercial

1 Buffett Fan

The only thing I got from the Commercial is. If I was young and still a virgin. I would lose it on a Carnival Cruise. Where do I sign up? HAHAHAHA!! Seriously though very, very bad taste. But what do you expect from the Walmart of the Seas.

I don't see it that way at all. I think the commercial is very fitting for a Superbowl ad. After all, they aren't showing it during Saturday morning cartoons. :rolleyes:

MisterMom, thanks for sharing those. In the spirit of the commercial, I'll add a few more...

“During my first time, the channel was really narrow”.

“I paid way too much money my first time”.

“My first time, a group of people showed me the gangway”

“My first time, we had barely eased into port when all the passengers suddenly disembarked”.

My first time-- there were 3 of us in one room, and I paid far too much.

Woo hoo!!!

My first time, the Captain and Cruise Director kept interrupting.

Seriously? Is that what you're going with? lol. That ad is about as subtle as a 2 x 4 to the head. About as clever too.

Have you ever been in the advertising world? That's exactly what's happening. Like I said, clever and effective ad

Laughing so hard ...I can hardly post 😃. "Cruise Virgin" really keeps you watching and is the one bound to be talked about the most and best remembered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Right! Guess you have to have a sense of humor to appreciate it.

I just think there's too much political correctness in the world these days. This ad is the perfect remedy for that. I got a good belly laugh too.

Have you ever been in the advertising world? That's exactly what's happening. Like I said, clever and effective ad

I gotta disagree. Using sex to sell is effective to be sure, but clever it is not. It is probably the easiest and least clever way to draw attention to a product. Budweiser commercials, however, are great in just about every way a commercial can be.

I found that "Message in a bottle" was more clever! It had a heartwarming message that a cruise vacation can faciltate, encourage and rekindle love, friendships and family. It was the morally greater of the two.

Edited by Babycat

I thought Carnival was promoting a mainly a family cruise image these days. All the new ships have great kids/sports areas and clubs. The sexy type ad is silly and crass. Maybe it is one of their choices of ads just to get the adults talking. It is still in poor taste for mass advertizing at Super Bowl.

The idea is to laugh and be memorable. Message in the bottle is too RCL the sea is calling. The work one is funny but no one would remember it. Cruise Virgin hits the mark for Super Bowl ads. Funny yet some see controversial. That's the mark.

I think it'll be talked about Monday and that's the idea.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I voted for Message in a Bottle. Loved it. And if they are going for change that IS change ..... The first

Time one would be party boat mentality.

Although I totally get why people would think it better for a SB commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they went with "Message in a Bottle," a message would be sent to the viewers that they could throw a glass bottle off the ship.

This is similar to the many members here who believed more than one person can go down a Carnival slide at the same time (prior to Carnival Vista's announcement) because of the commercial.

If they went with "Message in a Bottle," a message would be sent to the viewers that they could throw a glass bottle off the ship.

This is similar to the many members here who believed more than one person can go down a Carnival slide at the same time (prior to Carnival Vista's announcement) because of the commercial.

The message in the bottle ad was about precisely that. The message in the bottle. Not the bottle itself and not the act of throwing the bottle overboard. The Mesage in a bottle ad has both substance and style.

From the onset, the viewer is thrust into a symbiotic relationship with the lead character which is fostered throughout the short story. The overarching story is of her experience of gaining a newfound knowledge and a desire to experience the euphoria brought about by this knowledge.

The message is that cruise vacations facilitate love, family and friendships. It is through her, who serves as a conduit to the viewer, that we grow in knowledge and desire for the cruise vacation experience.

Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that the message in a bottle ad was not Carnival's endorsement of water pollution.

While the Cruise virgins ad is an exercise in tacky behavior on part of Carnival, should that be taken as Carnival's endorsement of tacky behavior. Because the ad itself is an exercise in tacky judgement, should that judgement be trusted as not endorsing tacky behavior tacitly? What the Cruise virgin ad lacks in substance, it relies upon in mere style.

The Superbowl serves as the ultimate American expression of the family oriented experience of sports. There may be a time and place for the tacky ad but during the Superbowl, it is most certainly not.

Edited by Babycat

Not sure if this has already been posted, and I'm sure some of you have seen this already, but here is Carnival's upcoming Superbowl ad. No doubt there will be several opinions of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Bzwo-Hz2I

So when I made the original post last week, I had thought that "Lose Your Cruise Virginity" had already been chosen as their Super Bowl ad. I saw a different one air during the game. Sorry for any confusion.

Great game though!

I honestly don't understand the connection between the first time you had sex and the first time you went on a cruise.

They have nothing in common at all.

I don't know about anyone else but I had to wait til I got married to go on my first cruise. *LOL*