Cancel for Any Reason?

BridgeMates

Anyone claimed using the "cancel for any reason" provision in the Princess insurance? Do you get everything you paid (cruise fare and taxes) less the insurance cost? I understand you get a credit for future cruise. Is there a time limit to use it?

There's just a small paragraph in the vacation protection plan that covers this.

Appreciate your comments.

Anyone claimed using the "cancel for any reason" provision in the Princess insurance? Do you get everything you paid (cruise fare and taxes) less the insurance cost? I understand you get a credit for future cruise. Is there a time limit to use it?

There's just a small paragraph in the vacation protection plan that covers this.

Appreciate your comments.

Yes, last February for the first part of a B2B2B. We were to leave on the Friday of a very big snow storm that put most of the east coast out of business(we had a connection in Phil.). They offered us the choice of joining the cruise in progress($500 limit) or taking the credit. Because the first flight we could get out was Monday and it was a 5 day cruise, the best we could do was to meet the ship for the cruise back to Florida. We opted to instead spend 3 days in Fort Lauderdale and take the remaining B2Bs. The credit was good for a year, I think, and we are booked this year using it. I think I might make it a strategy to book winter B2Bs that start with a short cruise.

I filed the claim before leaving and it was approved while we were at sea.

75% regular coverage or 90% if you purchased or were upgraded to Gold.

This is incorrect. For a 'cancel for any reason' claim, the basic Princess Vacation Protection pays off 75% as an FCC, the Platinum version pays off 100% as an FCC.

Yes, I've used this when I canceled a segment of a B2B after final payment. Princess immediately refunded a portion of my fare (per the cancelation schedule) so I submitted a claim for the remainder to Berkley Care. It was refunded, minus the cost of insurance, as a credit towards a future cruise. Since I already had another cruise booked but not paid for, I applied the credit to that cruise so I only had a small final payment remaining.

You get back everything but the cost of the insurance. As others have said, depending upon when you cancel, some money may come from Princess as cash and some will come from Berkely as FCC. The FCC typically needs to be used by December 31st of the year after you cancel. You get back 75% or 100% depending upon the insurance plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

From my discussions with the insurance company there are some limits in how the credit can be applied. For example if you cancel a cruise the resulting credit has to be used on one cruise. You cannot split the credit and apply to multiple cruises. This becomes a factor if you cancel an expensive cruise since you would need one just as or more expensive to apply it to, or you would lose the difference.

Yes, I've used this when I canceled a segment of a B2B after final payment. Princess immediately refunded a portion of my fare (per the cancelation schedule) so I submitted a claim for the remainder to Berkley Care. It was refunded, minus the cost of insurance, as a credit towards a future cruise. Since I already had another cruise booked but not paid for, I applied the credit to that cruise so I only had a small final payment remaining.

I used it just last month, with the same experience as Pam's. The only thing I can think to add is that port fees and tax were also refunded right away to my credit card.

I was pleased overall with the way it worked; the only odd thing is that you cannot do the entire claim online. You can start it online, but then have to print out and snail mail the claim form they email you back to them. This delays things by a few days. I even called them to confirm that there is no online only option.

Appreciate the info you have all given me. Following instructions in the Vacation protection plan, I've submitted my claim to Aon Affinity, Jericho, NY.

There's no mention of Berkley Care. Perhaps it's a subsidiary...?

Anyway, I'm glad to know how it works since we canceled the 2d segment of our B2B while we were on the ship last week.

...I've submitted my claim to Aon Affinity, Jericho, NY. There's no mention of Berkley Care. Perhaps it's a subsidiary...?...

It appears they are one and the same. All I know is that I got my cruise credit okay, and have already used it to book a "replacement" cruise for the fall :).

or are there some exceptions to the Cancel for Any reason policy? If it truly is then do you even have to specify the reason? I'm thinking of a couple of scenarios: one where your plans suddenly changed or you got extra busy at work and the time is bad and you're already past final payment or b) your partner hasn't been feeling well for a few weeks and has been going for tests but you pay in full anyway hoping for the best and then discover that you're just not feeling up to travelling. Would those two be valid reasons to get a future credit minus whatever is deducted - according to when you cancel?

Just curious..

I'm curious how the cost of the Princess insurance is calculated? Is it a % of the cruise cost? Is age a factor? The quote my TA gave me seems high.....we are Platinum and therefore should be paying for the standard plan and receiving the Platinum upgrade for no additional cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm curious how the cost of the Princess insurance is calculated? Is it a % of the cruise cost? Is age a factor? The quote my TA gave me seems high.....we are Platinum and therefore should be paying for the standard plan and receiving the Platinum upgrade for no additional cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes a percentage which I believe is 7% or 8% of the cruise fare, I think.

or are there some exceptions to the Cancel for Any reason policy? If it truly is then do you even have to specify the reason? I'm thinking of a couple of scenarios: one where your plans suddenly changed or you got extra busy at work and the time is bad and you're already past final payment or b) your partner hasn't been feeling well for a few weeks and has been going for tests but you pay in full anyway hoping for the best and then discover that you're just not feeling up to travelling. Would those two be valid reasons to get a future credit minus whatever is deducted - according to when you cancel?

Just curious..

I will let you know how it all worked when it is settled. We used the cancel for any reason as we didn't have a valid medical or emergency situation that would be covered for a full refund. We just needed to come home. Hopefully all will be covered less the cost of the insurance, which was very minimal since it was a 7 day cheapie last minute cruise. We'll find a cruise to spend the credit on later in the year.

Yes a percentage which I believe is 7% or 8% of the cruise fare, I think.

The Princess Vacation Protection Brochure lists the costs as:

Cruise fare up to $2499 8% of fare (12% for Platinum Protection)

Cruise fare $2500 to $4999 7% of fare (11% for Platinum Protection

Cruise fare $5000 or more 6% of fare (10% for Platinum Protection

As was previously stated, Ruby and above get Platinum-level Protection for the basic rate

To the previous poster who asked about valid reasons for "cancel for any reason", it does seem to really be for any, or no, reason. Princess's own FAQs use an example of being covered for "What if my pet dies just before the cruise"?

Finally, +1 for Princess on their insurance. We just booked a Med cruise on Celebrity for this September. Celebrity CruiseCare (also run by Aon/Berkley) also has "cancel for any reason", but it maxes out at 75% credit and there is no way to obtain the delta to 100% as you can with Princess. Given the cost of a Med cruise, we could be out quite a few dollars if we should have to pull out.

Just curious..

No, we answered the Reason for Cancelation with "non-specified". The only reason to give an explanation is to determine if you qualify for a refund under covered cancelations. If you are only seeking a credit there is no reason to specify why.

...are there some exceptions to the Cancel for Any reason policy? If it truly is then do you even have to specify the reason?...

I had to cancel due to a schedule conflict. They do ask you to list a reason, but I didn't have to give any specifics. I was just before final, so got a portion refunded directly by Princess to my VISA card, and the balance (less policy cost) was given to me as a FCC.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I called to book a cruise later this year and explained that I'm expecting a credit from my canceled cruise and asked if I would be able to use it to pay off the cruise when I get it. Was told it has to be applied to a NEW booking so I have to hold off booking anything until I get the credit in hand. Agent even checked with a supervisor. Hope it comes through before prices go up on the cruise I'm looking at.

I called to book a cruise later this year and explained that I'm expecting a credit from my canceled cruise and asked if I would be able to use it to pay off the cruise when I get it. Was told it has to be applied to a NEW booking so I have to hold off booking anything until I get the credit in hand. Agent even checked with a supervisor. Hope it comes through before prices go up on the cruise I'm looking at.

It took about two weeks from the time I snail mailed in my claim form until the credit showed up in my Princess online account. Just a "heads up"--the credit showed up in my Princess account a day or two before I received an email from Princess saying I had received it.

Edited by Ryndam2002

That's bull. I had my credit applied to a cruise already booked. Received confirmation back from my TA with the credit applied. At final payment, I paid just the (relatively) small net amount due.

The Princess Vacation Protection Brochure lists the costs as:

Cruise fare up to $2499 8% of fare (12% for Platinum Protection)

Cruise fare $2500 to $4999 7% of fare (11% for Platinum Protection

Cruise fare $5000 or more 6% of fare (10% for Platinum Protection

As was previously stated, Ruby and above get Platinum-level Protection for the basic rate

To the previous poster who asked about valid reasons for "cancel for any reason", it does seem to really be for any, or no, reason. Princess's own FAQs use an example of being covered for "What if my pet dies just before the

Finally, +1 for Princess on their insurance. We just booked a Med cruise on Celebrity for this September. Celebrity CruiseCare (also run by Aon/Berkley) also has "cancel for any reason", but it maxes out at 75% credit and there is no way to obtain the delta to 100% as you can with Princess. Given the cost of a Med cruise, we could be out quite a few dollars if we should have to pull out.

Are those examples per person or per booking?