Canadian cruisers!!

Here's an excerpt from something I read this morning. (y)

"Remember 73 cents?

That's where the Canadian dollar stood as recently as early May.

We're now almost a dime later, and the loonie is forecast to spike higher still, possibly to 87 cents by the end of next year, or about 14 cents ahead of where we were in the spring.

That's the latest projection from Bank of Nova Scotia. JPMorgan Chase sees a far faster surge, to 86 cents by the first quarter of 2018.

Others aren't as bullish as Scotiabank and JPMorgan. But many analysts have nonetheless revised their forecasts, and see the loonie climbing in the wake of the Bank of Canada's sudden summer shift."

I noticed in my cruise planner that the excursions are now at 1.25, but gratuities or buying OBC are still at 1.30. I think I'll be buying some USD and using that to pay for the gratuities for December. So hard to know when to buy! A little now, a little later I guess :) make the best of it.

• 4 weeks later...
I would buy US currency NOW.

If the NAFTA talks go sour the CDN$ will take a dive inside a few hours, and probably not a small one, either.

Yeah but then Trump says or does something else stupid and the $ rises. It's really just a guessing game. I have a us $ account and just periodically put some money in to average out the exchange.

NAFTA going south would also hurt the US economy as well. So who knows what it would do to our $.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah but then Trump says or does something else stupid and the $ rises. It's really just a guessing game. I have a us $ account and just periodically put some money in to average out the exchange.

NAFTA going south would also hurt the US economy as well. So who knows what it would do to our $.

Nah I though our $ would do much better when Trump was elected and it was only recent that it hit 0.80 --- let's go back to par....

I'm operating on the very safe assumption that the volatility in one direction (downwards) is far riskier than any further increase in the short term.

In other words, waiting another few weeks to try to eek out another few dollars on every thousand could really backfire if the exchange rate tanks 5-10% overnight instead of going up that additional 0.10% you were hoping for.

It could go down very fast if things go south, and it'd take a long time to recover.

It's not going to go up much more in the short term that I'd be waiting IMHO. I'm going to the bank tomorrow to deposit some funds we'd been saving up and making a payment towards our next cruise while the going is good.

Just called Royal and it cost more than it would at the Continental Exchange - but interestingly they asked if I wanted a drink package (we are not drinkers) and he would be able to give me a great discount. FYI, just in case anyone is interested, give it a try.

:D

Just booked my first RCCL cruise - in canadian funds - was that a mistake? Seemed like a good idea at the time - but if/when the CDN dollar goes up in relation to US funds - would it not be better to book in US funds? Is this just a gamble? (cruise is not til nov 2018)

Just called Royal and it cost more than it would at the Continental Exchange - but interestingly they asked if I wanted a drink package (we are not drinkers) and he would be able to give me a great discount. FYI, just in case anyone is interested, give it a try.

That's interesting for sure, what was the initial call for?

Just booked my first RCCL cruise - in canadian funds - was that a mistake? Seemed like a good idea at the time - but if/when the CDN dollar goes up in relation to US funds - would it not be better to book in US funds? Is this just a gamble? (cruise is not til nov 2018)

I tried that a couple of times and kept getting burned on fluctuations in the dollar. Now I just book in Canadian dollars.

Hi Can you tell me what department you called? Did they say what kind of discount they could offer you on the beverage pkg?

I tried that a couple of times and kept getting burned on fluctuations in the dollar. Now I just book in Canadian dollars.

Well that does make me feel better :D

You've gotta get a credit card that waives the conversion fee. It's the only reason I have the amazon visa.

I have a credit care with no foreign transaction fees (Marriott Chase visa - came with lots of perks!) - I use that onboard for my cruise account - I do however book my cruise with my TD travel visa since it includes excellent insurance - both medical and trip - in case I need to cancel or anything happens to my luggage, etc.

Wish my Marriott chase Visa card also had insurance attached to it!:(

The package offered is the same as online under Cruise Planner - Buy 1 get 2nd 50% off, works out to be $48.30 per day inc Grats, 2 people in stateroom have to buy.

If the 2nd person does not drink alcohol they have to purchase a Beverage package which is non alcoholic, but costs $30.68 per day. That's a ridiculous price just for pop, teas, coffee, water etc.

Just in case this affect anyone, Westjet has cancelled Sunday flights Toronto to San Juan until further notice.

They still fly Saturday.....

The Sunday flights were cancelled a couple weeks ago...Westjet has now cancelled ALL flight to San Juan until January 13, 2018.

We were booked with Westjet to get to our cruise on Jewel of the Seas in November...now exploring options...

The package offered is the same as online under Cruise Planner - Buy 1 get 2nd 50% off, works out to be $48.30 per day inc Grats, 2 people in stateroom have to buy.

If the 2nd person does not drink alcohol they have to purchase a Beverage package which is non alcoholic, but costs $30.68 per day. That's a ridiculous price just for pop, teas, coffee, water etc.

Call back. Many have reported being able to buy the Delux package without the requirement to buy the refreshment package. There was a list of 5 or so acceptable reasons for not purchasing 2 delux packages and no requirement to purchase a different package.