Canadian cruisers!!

Unfortunately Chase Canada has stopped taking application for the Amazon and Marriott Visa cards. We have the Amazon card and had seen the Marriott but never got around to applying. I did like its perqs. Tried last week and see that they have stopped. Hope they keep the cards active for a while as there is very little choice in Canada and no reward cards w/o those Foreign Currency transaction fees. I am sure most people don't even know they are paying them.

Unfortunately Chase Canada has stopped taking application for the Amazon and Marriott Visa cards. We have the Amazon card and had seen the Marriott but never got around to applying. I did like its perqs. Tried last week and see that they have stopped. Hope they keep the cards active for a while as there is very little choice in Canada and no reward cards w/o those Foreign Currency transaction fees. I am sure most people don't even know they are paying them.

I don't personally have it, but the Rogers MasterCard looks appealing. They charge a foreign conversion fee, but then subsidize it with a larger cash back credit of 4%. Its the card I'd get if I didn't already have one of the Chase cards.

http://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/rogers-platinum-mastercard-credit-card-review/

For those that already have the Marriott Visa take a look at the Starwood Amex card. After a $1500 spend in your first 3 months you will get 25,000 Starwood points which can now be converted to 75,000 Marriott points. Not bad for paying the first years annual fee of $120 and then cancelling.

I have that card as well. No break on f/x but the points add up quickly, the welcome bonus is good,we have enjoyed many free hotel stays....

For those that already have the Marriott Visa take a look at the Starwood Amex card. After a $1500 spend in your first 3 months you will get 25,000 Starwood points which can now be converted to 75,000 Marriott points. Not bad for paying the first years annual fee of $120 and then cancelling.
I had looked at that card too but really wanted to avoid those transaction fee. Was not looking for a new 'everyday card" but one I would use when traveling and for purchasing cruises. That card does have nice room benefits though.

But every purchase processed by a foreign bank (technically does not have to be a foreign currency as some US residents learned even buying in USD) is a loss. The fee is more than the point values received. And if that hotel is in a foreign land what card would I take to travel? I laughed when TD called to offer me a big sign-up deal when rolling out another "travel" card. It had fees that I would get charged if I used the card when traveling. Seemed so ironic.

The hassle with my Amazon card is the limit is low, which is actually what I wanted (limiting risk on internet / foreign transactions) so for final payment on a more expensive cruise I have to make a partial, pay the card, pay the balance. Hmmm, just occurred to me I probably could have just made a payment to put me in a credit balance on the card and then make the one payment.

I had looked at that card too but really wanted to avoid those transaction fee. Was not looking for a new 'everyday card" but one I would use when traveling and for purchasing cruises. That card does have nice room benefits though.

But every purchase processed by a foreign bank (technically does not have to be a foreign currency as some US residents learned even buying in USD) is a loss. The fee is more than the point values received. And if that hotel is in a foreign land what card would I take to travel? I laughed when TD called to offer me a big sign-up deal when rolling out another "travel" card. It had fees that I would get charged if I used the card when traveling. Seemed so ironic.

The hassle with my Amazon card is the limit is low, which is actually what I wanted (limiting risk on internet / foreign transactions) so for final payment on a more expensive cruise I have to make a partial, pay the card, pay the balance. Hmmm, just occurred to me I probably could have just made a payment to put me in a credit balance on the card and then make the one payment.

I'm not sure how you figure that the fee is more than the points value received.

I used the card for a couple months, met the $1500 spend and received my 25000 point sign up bonus that I converted to Marriott points. The card will be cancelled before another annual fee is due. For the $120 CDN annual fee I received enough points to book well over $1000 worth of hotel rooms.. Used 35000 points to book one night at the Marriott downtown Montreal for the F1 race next year, that room alone was $800 per night.

I haven't paid for a hotel room in the last 3-4 years. Usually I can find something nice for around 15,000 points that has a nightly rate of around $200US per night. Well worth the annual fee.

I'm not sure how you figure that the fee is more than the points value received.

I used the card for a couple months, met the $1500 spend and received my 25000 point sign up bonus that I converted to Marriott points. The card will be cancelled before another annual fee is due. For the $120 CDN annual fee I received enough points to book well over $1000 worth of hotel rooms.. Used 35000 points to book one night at the Marriott downtown Montreal for the F1 race next year, that room alone was $800 per night.

I haven't paid for a hotel room in the last 3-4 years. Usually I can find something nice for around 15,000 points that has a nightly rate of around $200US per night. Well worth the annual fee.

I think what they're saying is that the foreign currency conversion/transaction fee is more than the value of the points. Even if the points you get result in a 2% reward, that's lost when you use it in the US or another country, as the credit card company will tack on 2.5% ABOVE AND BEYOND the exchange rate.

I think what they're saying is that the foreign currency conversion/transaction fee is more than the value of the points. Even if the points you get result in a 2% reward, that's lost when you use it in the US or another country, as the credit card company will tack on 2.5% ABOVE AND BEYOND the exchange rate.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I don't personally have it, but the Rogers MasterCard looks appealing. They charge a foreign conversion fee, but then subsidize it with a larger cash back credit of 4%. Its the card I'd get if I didn't already have one of the Chase cards.

http://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/rogers-platinum-mastercard-credit-card-review/

My husband has this card - good choice for anyone who travels to the us for business ;)

I wonder if their cabin prices for Canadians just increased 35% before the sale was announced? That would be a page right out RC books. ;):')

We tried to take advantage of this offer, but since we are after final payment date, NCL is not budging. Our spa mini-suite went down over $1,000. Note to self: just before final payment is due check prices again because after that date, too bad, so sad.

We tried to take advantage of this offer, but since we are after final payment date, NCL is not budging. Our spa mini-suite went down over $1,000. Note to self: just before final payment is due check prices again because after that date, too bad, so sad.

Can you upgrade for the price difference?

Here's an excerpt from something I read this morning. (y)

"Remember 73 cents?

That's where the Canadian dollar stood as recently as early May.

We're now almost a dime later, and the loonie is forecast to spike higher still, possibly to 87 cents by the end of next year, or about 14 cents ahead of where we were in the spring.

That's the latest projection from Bank of Nova Scotia. JPMorgan Chase sees a far faster surge, to 86 cents by the first quarter of 2018.

Others aren't as bullish as Scotiabank and JPMorgan. But many analysts have nonetheless revised their forecasts, and see the loonie climbing in the wake of the Bank of Canada's sudden summer shift."

Got my doubts we are going to see .87 by end of year..more like .77 or worse at this point....was really hoping the upward trend would continue......got my cruise booked in CAD but for OBC and spending $$ once on the cruise..anything over the 1.30 exchange really hurts!

Got my doubts we are going to see .87 by end of year..more like .77 or worse at this point....was really hoping the upward trend would continue......got my cruise booked in CAD but for OBC and spending $$ once on the cruise..anything over the 1.30 exchange really hurts!

I agree. Things have certainly changed since I posted this. :'):')

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cruise booked for 2019 on the Symphony booked in CDN.

Under booked cruises, at the top it shows my $$$ CDN OBC there is a ?, click on -

"Today's OBC exchange rate is listed below. This exchange rate can fluctuate until you make your first purchase using OBC. At that time, your exchange rate will be locked.

$1.00US = $1.26Cdn"

I got off the phone with RCI Gifts & Gear a few minutes ago. For purchases of OBC, they quoted today's rate as being $1.27 CAD to $1.00 USD. That's not bad in the sense that it's very close to, or even slightly better than the current mid-market rate that I just looked up (per xe.com).